Upholstery cleaning challenge

John Downey

Greetings and salutations experts and gurus!

Cleaned a medium to light brown cotton sofa a few weeks ago and noticed when I was cleaning that preexisting stains on the cushions appeared more prominent (rings especially) when I presprayed and weren't improved much after I extracted. I've had this happen before, but after drying the stains were nearly or totally invisible. Not this time. Stains and rings are still more visible than before cleaning.

Used Prochem Upholstery Prespray, agitated with a horsehair brush and extracted with clear water.

Any suggestions on what I might try to remove or improve these stains?

Thank you,
John Downey

hogjowl

Idiot™
There is a thread in this room titled "White Cotton Couch" by Jim Martin. In it, Jim Pemberton gave his some advice that I think may be of use for you in this situation.

Basically, he recommended the us of a Haitian Cotton Cleaner.

The Preacher

was your precleaning inspection form signed by the customer in black/blue or red ink??? did you take photo's with a 3mp camera or higher???

PS how will said sofa look in yore basement???

TimP

You can use any PH on cotton you like as long as you don't have color bleeding....and of course rinse with an acid to prevent browning. I never heard of any rule that says you can't use ph 10-11 on cotton.....it's a very stable surface. The way I was taught is that if it bleeds lower your ph till it dont if you can't then go acid/foam.....if that don't do it then you might can get away with dry clean-wet clean-and dry clean again. Or just dry clean it....

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
What are the stains from?
Food or pop still might need an enzyme type spotter to loosen the stain up. Rinse with PC's Fine Fabric Detergent.

Urine is going to need some bleaching action.
Is the fabric going to be safe to lighten enough to remove the brown stains?

We would clean cottons with PC's Fine Fabric shampoo mixed 4oz /gal and shampoo with horse hair brush and extract/rinse with PC's All Fiber Rinse. In the case of the stains, provided the fabric was safe to lighten we would mix in some Oxy-Plus and Fiber Buff to the solution.

Get a sign off if you are taking on any unusual risk for stain removal.

John Downey

With the exception of Danny Strickland's sarcastic and condescending comments, thanks for the suggestions so far. I think I'll try an enzyme spotter first.

John Downey

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
As much as I hate the smell of the stuff, this kind of problem is sometimes easiest solved with a Haitian Cotton cleaner. The stuff won't tend to bleach the entire fabric, which is a bit of a risk with percarbonate or peroxide based products.

Can you send pics?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I do too when I'm cleaning, but I'd perfer the guys to use it on standard care fabrics and the more neutral or acid side cleaners on natural fabrics.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Mostly likely coincidence, most, but not all bleeding happens in the drying process.

Too high a PH (carpet prespray), too much moisture can aggravate the problem with fugitive dyes.

Keep it dry and neutral PH range on natural fabrics and you'll have few problems.

Also take Jim's Upholstery class, the Pembertons know Upholstery cleaning, second generation cleaners and trainers! :wink:

harryhides

Name
Tony
John Downey said:
Greetings and salutations experts and gurus!

Cleaned a medium to light brown cotton sofa a few weeks ago and noticed when I was cleaning that preexisting stains on the cushions appeared more prominent (rings especially) when I presprayed and weren't improved much after I extracted. I've had this happen before, but after drying the stains were nearly or totally invisible. Not this time. Stains and rings are still more visible than before cleaning.
John Downey

I've found the same thing John - some fabrics look awful when damp but great when dry. In your situation, I wonder if the stains wicked up due to incomplete cleaning while the surrounding fabric which was now cleaner, thereby causing the stained and wicked areas to show up more than before.

If all else fails, John bring some 40 watt light bulbs and change the lighting situation in the room.

John Downey

Jim and all,

I brought a throw cushion back to work on at my shop. The stains on it are very faint and don't show up in a picture. The stains on the seat cushions at her house, however, would show up. After I work on this throw cushion, if no improvement noted, I'll stop out to her house and take some pics of the seat cushions. Jim, do I understand correctly that the HC shampoo will not cause a color loss? Would it be better to try that before the protein spotter? Or in conjunction with?

Tony, I like your idea best! Maybe even 15 watt bulbs. This customer has several young kids and understands the situation. She's not making any threats or demands; she is just disappointed that the seat cushions don't look better. And I am too.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

John D.

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Haitian like Marty said Jim said...

Lites like Tony ,said...

Now John also think of if you have hard water,it could be also be a factor in either the cleaning agents you did or might reuse...

Possible rerinse and reclean /force dry with a porty an soft/distilled ?

Did you force dry...
Regards...

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Did she have any idea what the stains were?

Food, soda? Oil base? Sugar?

Or cellulosic from spotting? Urine?

The origin will direct you as to which way to go.

John Downey

Hi Richard,

Various beverages. She didn't remember what all exactly. Since we're talking about a young family, my best guess is juices, milk, maybe soda.

John D.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Hey John
Test first in an inconspicious area to make sure it doesn't lighten the fabric.

Maybe a skirt flap, or back, use enzyme protein spotter allow dwell time and rinse

Finish up with solvent spotter for any sugars that might remain and rinse.

If there is still a feint ring you can use Yellow RX spray (the complete panel, agitate and rinse, towel dry.

If you do the whole panel it is less likely you will notice a shade difference.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom