upholstery gurus get in here (update 12-29-11)

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Re: upholstery gurus get in here

Somehow in the flurry of 'nuke that sh..' advise, someone forgot to mention that before you try to be a hero, you'd better pre-qualify with the client.

It may go like this:
- " Ms ____ I am going to nuke the living daylight out of your sofa.
Yes, it may look great when I am done in which case I will be your hero.
Or, it may actually evaporate your furniture, as in...... kaboom, in other words- "your sofa may take the fourth dimension."
We at _________(fill in the blank) would appreciate your input Ms.____________.

Well, what the hack. Just vaporize it.
No other way to find out with certainty if she really cares

While I might change the wording just a bit, this is the first thing you need to do Vincent. There are flocked microfibers (real garbage) and laminated microfibers (pretty close to real garbage) that don't hold up like the ones we have been used to cleaning for the past few years. I have seen one rayon one, like Mike mentioned, but this one would be already ruined if it were made from rayon.

This piece doesn't appear to have any of those problems, but the fact that you are going to have to hit it with aggressive chemistry, heat, and agitation means "bad stuff" still could happen, and my guess is its not your fault its so dirty....so keep that monkey off your back in your written qualification before you hit it with your second round of potions and procedures.

Get a white floor polishing pad, cut it in the shape of a circle or square, and use that as your preconditioning tool with whatever nuclear prespray is available to you.

Name
Lee Stockwell

I see threads like this and wish I could go back and properly thank Murray Cremer! I didn't appreciate him and his class as much as I should have.

"What a difference a day makes"....April 1981

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

?????
You can't leave us hanging like that Lee.

Elaborate.
Out with some details.
Please.

Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Lyman

I make those scrubbies the same way, but cut a slit in it and slide your hand in like a mitten. Woks great.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink

I like the 8" bonnet mitts. They're the green stripped bonnet pads shrunk down, with a pre-made slit. I've only ever used it a few times when I've had smoke damage synthetic upholstery that needed some aggressive scrubbing.

For anyone interested - 8" Bonnet Spotting Mitt

I've noticed rayon making a big come back

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Moderator Needs To Be Here

"upholstery gurus get in here" Could the moderator please delete Fosters and Hoodies post from this topic. Foster cleans a hundred jobs a year and now he is a Guru? Hoodie is Olsons Lap Dog and just shows up to try to get a sale. So they have no reason to be responding to this post. Delete their posts please.

Golden Boy

glenboy

Name
GLEN

powerburst all over and then upholstery pre treat and lots of heat and spray n vac n.you gotta get in there and fight that son o bitch, i do em all the time.

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
Went back today, tried 3 things:

1-Slop & Gobble, mixed 3 ozs to 20 ozs of water.

2-Had some ultracrap leftover(didn't know I had it), mixed 3 ozs to 20 ozs of water.

3- Poured ammonia on towel.

Did #2 first, applied with white towel, let dwell and extracted at full heat, nothing

Next #1, applied with white towel, let dwell, extracted, cut it fairly well, but still could see the black.

Last, did the ammonia, this was the winner.

Before
microfibercouch.jpg

After
microfibercouch2shot.jpg

Bob Foster

Re: Moderator Needs To Be Here

Waldo said:
"upholstery gurus get in here" Could the moderator please delete Fosters and Hoodies post from this topic. Foster cleans a hundred jobs a year and now he is a Guru? Hoodie is Olsons Lap Dog and just shows up to try to get a sale. So they have no reason to be responding to this post. Delete their posts please.

Golden Boy

:shock: I don't know where you get the idea I'm not busy. And you seem to be the only one that thinks I am somehow a guru. - butt boy! :lol:

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron

Nice job Vince. I will put that in your file. Remember just cuz you get a lot of call backs does not mean you are a Hack.

Golden Boy

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp

Waldo said:
Nice job Vince. I will put that in your file. Remember just cuz you get a lot of call backs does not mean you are a Hack.

Golden Boy

Don't forget the 5.8 blower I'm running now and yes its a 5.8 according to Gardner Denver.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Nice. Here is my dumb question: what kind of ammonia did you use? Just plain non sudsing ammonia that you get at Wally world? Or is there a product that is sold at a carpet supply house? How did you mix it?

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
Charlie Lyman said:
Nice. Here is my dumb question: what kind of ammonia did you use? Just plain non sudsing ammonia that you get at Wally world? Or is there a product that is sold at a carpet supply house? How did you mix it?

just plain ammonia, didn't mix, poured directly onto towel and the worked in.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Charlie Lyman, thank you.

Vincent, thank you also.

Not such a dumb question.

I have only been able to get sudsy ammonia down under.

Whenever I ask for plain non-sudsing ammonia, I get a look of "What planet are you from"??

Been a few years since I have been able to buy it straight.

When I read some of the replies above,..................... well, let's just say, "Sometimes I wonder"

Interesting non the less.

shiteatinggrin

Mikey P

Administrator
SEE! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I should win top 3 on Waldo's and Foster's lists for the best suggestion.

but F'n Vince probably gave Chad a virtual hand job instead of calling to thank me for saving his reputation.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Kleenrite used to, I'm not sure if they still do?

It was a really good cleaner but I switched when I stopped cleaning. Mainly because as good as it cleaned it also had an increased potential for color bleeding and indicator dye change on some fabrics.

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
Mikey P said:
SEE! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I should win top 3 on Waldo's and Foster's lists for the best suggestion.

buy F'n Vince probably gave Chad a virtual hand job instep of calling to thank me for saving his reputation.

Yes you win the internets for the day.

Hater

harryhides

Name
Tony
Good job Vincent.

Both ammonia and Iso Prop work well on cutting various grease and oils so I'd always do a small test using a clean white cotton towel to compare how much transfer of soil you get with each product tested.
Applying live steam to your pre-spray in some of these situations also works well in my experience.

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Still kind of Hackish in Harry Hides World. To do it properly you should have took the couch back to the shop to perform the work while wearing a Lab Coat. I remember Harry explaining that back on ICS in the day. Harold had all kinds of ideas on How To Operate A Carpet Cleaning Biz. The best profit he ever made was when he burnt down his shop on a insurance scam. Quick Money for the Seal Clubber.

Golden Boy

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Marty said:
An iron on a towel is live steam?

I would think a steamer is live steam.
I've use a steamer a few times on microfiber.

An iron even on a towel would/could likely melt the fibers IMHO.

Waldo still drinking. He is becoming the new Crowley and Crowley has toned down ??

He must be stepping up to fill the void.

Back
Top Bottom