Upholstery Problem.

I cleaned a few white pieces of upholstery last Monday. The inside of the cushions were Goose Down with a liner. The customer called me a few days later and said one of the cushions turned greenish purple and had a mold smell. (That part of the cushion was facing down on the chair, and I guess it took too long to dry)

I will be picking the cushion up tomorrow and bringing it back to my place to work on it.

I welcome all suggestions on how I may be able to attempt to correct this.

Thanks in advance.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Carpet cleaner I see you have NO name or anything in your profile.
If you want help it would be polite to tell us who you are and where you live etc.

Greenie, Jay Delaughter, Larry Cobb and a few others know who I am and where I live. Alot of members on this board don't have their complete profile filled out.

If you don't want to help, don't help.

I would appreciate productive suggestions only, Thanks.
Walrus said:
If you want help it would be polite to tell us who you are and where you live etc.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Why was the cushion drying on the chair?
There a few things you can do depending on what products you cleaned them with and what skill level you have with upholstery.

If it is isolated to the cushions I would take the upholstery off the foam or filling and shampoo and speed dry without heat to check results. That is hwere I would start

Alot of members on this board don't have their complete profile filled out.

it is required

Name
I'm Rick James
Mold/musty smell means it was wet for to long and probley browned out, the purple could be from ink on the tag. Did you just lay it back down like it normally lays after you cleaned it? All cushions need to be propted up so front and back side can dry properly.

Its really tough to say what fully happen without seeing it and without you telling use how you cleaned it. PSI, prespray, ect?

Hope you didnt soak it so the feathers are still damp and need to be replaced. Use a browning treatment for the browning if that is what it is and use a ink remover for the ink if that is what it is.

Shot in the dark.

Name
I'm Rick James
carpet cleaner said:
Greenie, Jay Delaughter, Larry Cobb and a few others know who I am and where I live. Alot of members on this board don't have their complete profile filled out.

If you don't want to help, don't help.

I would appreciate productive suggestions only, Thanks.
Walrus said:

Well if larry cobb is your bud, then call him and get the products you need if that is all the help you need. Yeah fill out your profile, jimmy hates secrets.

Spurling

I had a carpet with alot of mold from a leaky fish tank .. I saturated it with sporicidan .. let it sit for 15 and extracted .. I removed all odor and stain completely .. not sure this would work for you .. if youre a fabric soaker .. maybe next time wrap the liner in plastic .. I always have the customer rotate the cushions for quicker dry time .. good luck

Steven and the others that are helping, thanks.

I used jon don's outset and rinsed with hwe.
Steven Hoodlebrink said:
Is there just a few spots or did it affect the whole side of the cushion that was facing down ?

It sounds like a fabric pen that upholsters will sometimes use to mark the fabric bled thru, which can be common with white fabrics. Either used on the fabric itself or on the lining as you mentioned was there. If it was just because it didn't dry right I would expect some yellowing or browning which could be corrected by a reducing agent like Buff All.

Also what products did you use initially to clean it ?

sporicidan, what is it and where do you get it?
Spurling said:
I had a carpet with alot of mold from a leaky fish tank .. I saturated it with sporicidan .. let it sit for 15 and extracted .. I removed all odor and stain completely .. not sure this would work for you .. if youre a fabric soaker .. maybe next time wrap the liner in plastic .. I always have the customer rotate the cushions for quicker dry time .. good luck

M

Mr Carpet

Carpet cleaner,

You haven't even listed cover fabric content or any other relevant information.

Why was the cushion placed down before it was dry?

It is unlikely to be mold.

More likely some sort of browning/chemical reaction or could even be color from the decking.

It would take more information/photos for a correct diagnosis of the problem.

I have seen this happen before. Learn from your mistakes. Check the tags and any paper for ink transfer. I have seen the ink and dye on the tags bleed and stain upholstery. If only the underside of the cushion is stained and not on the opposite side, then the ink on the tags likley bleed onto the cushion. As far as the moldy smell, the customer is likely just over-reacting.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Tell us about and post pics of your home-brew truckmount. Did you build it?

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
You said it was the side of the cushion facing down. Was it resting on the platform? Could the discoloration be bleeding from the platform?

Bob Foster

Continuing with Wayne's thought maybe from gassing coming off of felt or foam in the deck that got damp.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Take em home, take out of cushions and stick them in the gentle cycle. If that doesn't work go to store and get some white rit dye or soak in bleach for a few hours. Works every time.

:lol:

jk dude. Need pics.

I plan on it.

Larry is my local distributor.
Brent said:
Well if larry cobb is your bud, then call him and get the products you need if that is all the help you need. Yeah fill out your profile, jimmy hates secrets.

steve r

using a solvent protector with a nice fragrance will help prevent this from happening.

i use a solvent protector on all my upholstery.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Dry your cushions before putting them down. Place in an inverted V and dry. That is how the problem could have been solved. I also reccomend what Steve said in his 2nd reply . Maybe also try some sterifab to kill the mold. If it comes back they wont be happy. I would sterifab it first than do what Steve Reccomended.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
Walrus said:
Could be from the decking.

Thats what it sounds like to me, he(or the customer) put the wet coushon on a colored decking fabric if thats the case it'll never come out.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Decking material is a possibility.. Outset is a pretty high alkaline prepsray for white upholstery. I know it supposed to be self neutralizing, however if you just used water to rinse with you may have left it slightly on the alkaline side. Not only would this cause the browning but it could of caused migration of the decking material dyes into the cushion. How long between the cleaning and the customer calling? Down as a pretty powerful smell if it is overwet. In the future I would recommend always using an acid rinse, escpecielly on your white upholstery. And even go so foar as to recommond a product only for your white cotton upholstery to mitigate any problems.

J

jojo bamboo

Make sure that when you bring the cushin back that it matches the outher ones.
ie don't get carried away.

Jose Smith

Mr Carpet said:
Carpet cleaner,

You haven't even listed cover fabric content or any other relevant information.

Why was the cushion placed down before it was dry?

It is unlikely to be mold.

More likely some sort of browning/chemical reaction or could even be color from the decking.

It would take more information/photos for a correct diagnosis of the problem.

This is the only sound advice so far. There are far too many unanswered questions for corrective methods to be given.

Please post more info/pictures ,etc.

Jose Smith

Look at the facts. If there was a problem with either the cleaning or the drying then all of the cushions would exhibit the same markings. You said only ONE cushion turned greenish purple on the underside. I can guarantee you had a tag with purple and green ink bleed onto the cushion. Like I said, "I have seen this happen before." An easy way to tell would simply be to wet the tag with water and the same chemical you used to clean the couch and check to see if it bleeds. The dye on the tag will look smeared as well. I have seen a tag bleed instantly when water got onto it. Luckily I caught it before too much damage was done. Learn from your mistakes. I always check the tags etc. to see if there is any chance the ink will bleed.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
danielc said:
Look at the facts. If there was a problem with either the cleaning or the drying then all of the cushions would exhibit the same markings. You said only ONE cushion turned greenish purple on the underside. I can guarantee you had a tag with purple and green ink bleed onto the cushion. Like I said, "I have seen this happen before." An easy way to tell would simply be to wet the tag with water and the same chemical you used to clean the couch and check to see if it bleeds. The dye on the tag will look smeared as well. I have seen a tag bleed instantly when water got onto it. Luckily I caught it before too much damage was done. Learn from your mistakes. I always check the tags etc. to see if there is any chance the ink will bleed.

He said the cushion on a chair, Chairs only have one cushion. :p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom