Upsell to tile or carpet?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Which would you rather do/have and why?

Would you rather come into a carpet job and upsell the tile cleaning?

Or come into a tile cleaning job and upsell the carpet cleaning?

Footnote: All situations you will definitely be cleaning both so no worry of losing out.

I have mixed opinions on this.....What are your thoughts?

joe harper

Name
joe harper
First off....UPSELL is BAD terminology... :oops:

WE much prefer to offer additional service.. :idea:

AS far as your question....We try to AVOID a return service.. !gotcha! ...We would
do it ALL...RIGHT THEN... :!: "Even offer a discount NOT to have to return"

Of course...we have the proper equipment & labor force to perform the service... !gotcha!

Why ...? would anyone allow the sale to be LOST..if you are already ON-SITE... :roll:

NO..preference in which order the job is performed..."Without see the lay-out of the job"

CLOSE THE JOB...."While they are READY to spend.!!!"

To many VaRiaBlEs...can happen to reschedule service... :idea:

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Harp, I didn't say anything about coming back.

I was talking about upselling the the extra service right then.

I guess the real question (or better way of asking) would be ...

Would you rather get carpet or tile jobs.....and then upsell the other service.

All work done in the same visit.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
DEFINE: Other services ????

Other "cleaning services"..or ADD-ONS like Fabric Protection...?

I really do not have a preference....whether it is carpet or tile..!
"Of course TILE is a bigger ticket item" unless there are pet issues.. :idea:

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
by other services I meant the carpet or the tile.

I'm trying to judge whether a job would be better to get called for the tile first or would the possibilities of getting more tile jobs because carpet jobs are more common.

If someone calls you for a tile job...they tend to be a better customer from my experience.

But I do way more carpet so it seems like I would be able to get MORE tile jobs out of the deal...Still decent or better customers.

Just an example.

This debate stems from either marketing to tile first or carpet first.

My thoughts usually are ...Market to carpet first and you'll get more jobs and hopefully be able to upsell to tile.

But other thoughts are....Market to tile jobs and get higher tickets, but less jobs...you can still upsell the carpet (and will probably get it more than the other way around).

To grow exponentially I would think to market carpet first to expand the customer base and take the tile while it comes in

Instead of a slower growth with marketing to tile first.

Common sense says to market to both of course...but that's not the question. lol

joe harper

Name
joe harper
6 of 1...1/2 dozen of the other... :|

I sHouLd of GUESSED it was a marketing question.... :roll:

With your price points...You could MARKET for the hard surface..and CLOSE more jobs..
Many are moving to hard surface / when replacing flooring..consistent TREND...So the
volume may very well increase..because of PRICING... :idea:

The tile custy is a BETTER client.. !gotcha! So the BR carpets & area rugs...should be AuTomAtIc.. in the UPSELL dept... !gotcha!

IMO...the Tile cleaning is a TouGhEr upsell...because of the difference in PRICE.... :cry:

Much easier to UPSELL any service....for LESS than the service you are providing at the
time..!!! In your situation..."as far as EQUIPMENT"...RUN a special @ the same price....IF
the two types of cleaning are COMBINED @ time of SERVICE... :idea:

I know of NO ONE offering that promotion... :idea: "Be different!!!"

ps.It wouldn't HURT to advertise that you are a "HOMO either... :shock:
THEY have LOTS of $$$$..... :mr green:

pss Makes sure their is a VidEo...of you "scrubbing" the grout..."ON YOU KNEES" shiteatinggrin
.................................."U GO GirL..!!!!!...............................

RickL

I think it depends a lot on your skill level on either carpet or tile, where you live (Fl has more T&G than Carpet in the houses I've been in) and your business situation.
As an O/O in Georgia I would much rather upsell the T&G in most situations, assuming the T&G doesn't have anything on it (wax, mop and glow, etc). My customers typically had more carpet than Tile so it was a no brainer and very easy upsell to bring in the T&G cleaner and spinner and knock of a kitchen or bathroom which is typically just off an area that your doing the carpet in. Where as here there is a lot more carpet and to add in the carpet could result in quite a bit of time.
T&G has been my biggest /easiest upsell and rarely do I not get some T&G on a call. Maybe just a bathroom or kitchen but good $$$'s.
If I was multi truck and could re-schedule stuff easily then it might not matter. It's just been easier for me to do T&G as I've done so much both commercial and resi and am very familiar with the cleaning and problems .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom