Upselling brochures?

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
For all Ya'll that are not the pushy sales types, do you ever use brochures about what you sell and services you offer and let the customer read it while you are cleaning?

What kind of stuff do you include in it and is it about your company exclusively or product manufacturers brochures that you personalized?

What kind of response do you get? Who's got good ones? Where do you get them?

Ricky Thurman

Jim I have been seriously considering doing this, especially now that I have another van running. I think it would help us out A LOT. I'm not much of a salesman, and my tech is still learning in several areas. I think its a great idea.
Plans for mine would be a 3 fold brochure. Company logo, etc. on front. FAQ section, a section about protector and why it is a good product to have, a section to push my Tile and grout cleaning and on the back maybe the epa cleaning recommendations chart.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Everything helps if it really looks sharp and not amaturish.

But in reality you must challenge yourself and get out of your comfort zone and force yourself to be able to present yourself to people.

One way I've found to ease myself into it was to act "As if" I were in a movie. Pretend that you are in a movie and play act that you are a salesman. Remember any movies where the actor approaches people?
Takes away the presssure or the fear of rejection.

Sound stupid but it works for me.

Reactions: Askal

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Dude I personally think you're from another planet (I would have said Uranus...but since it's no longer a planet, maybe Mars?) and you're pretending to be human!

But what do I know, I've been wrong once or twice in my life! :wink:

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
"Upselling" is one area where many carpet cleaners fail miserably, Jim. (This is really sad because the profit potential is staggering if we would just DO IT!) So your question re: brochures is a good one.

There is nothing wrong in having excellent sales support materials. But the problem is since most of us don't like to "sell" (fear of rejection) we try to abdicate this duty to a brochure/ DVD/ advertising/ direct mail, etc. A few observations ...

1. Don't get trapped into a lot of slick sales techniques. Customer's see through them and your techs won't be comfortable with "performing" these tricks either. The simplest way to "sell" is to gradually build a professional relationship with the homeowner with a SYSTEM that gains their trust. When the customer likes and trusts the tech they will want to buy more.

2. Give your people the time to sell AND perform the work. It is a no-brainer that it is more profitable for you and easier for the client to have the extra work done while you are in the home. But if you have overbooked the day right from the git-go where is the tech's motivation to sell more? I advise our SFS members to give their techs training in the Emotional Dynamics of the Home Front, dramatically increase their up-sell comission structure and book one less job a day. This will force your employees to sell more if they want to make the same or more money. The result? More money for you and the employee, happier customers (a big complaint of clients is "they went so fast") and your techs aren't as tired at the end of the day.

3. Piggy back onto the manufacturer. The single most profitable up-sell you can make is carpet protector. If you offer Scotchgard 3-M has spent millions on brand name advertising plus they give you free marketing brochures. Their current color brochure is excellent so it can stand alone or be combined with your proposed personalized materials. 3-M also has a nice Carpet Cleaning folder you can give the customer to keep all their cleaning information in. I think it is a dollar and you can of course personaize it too.

4. Seeing is believing. The simplest way to sell protector is to show the cusomer how it works using the venerable "blotter card" test. We were doing this in my company thirty years ago and I thought everybody did it. But at a recent Strategies seminar I took a survey and was amazed at how few cleaners even knew about the demo, much less did it. I know 3-M gives you the cards free. I assume DuPont does too.

5. Motivate your people. In the same survey I mention above I also asked our members how many gave their techs a commission for upselling. Once again I was shocked at how many expected their peopl to sell but to do so with no extra compensation as a reward. DUH! Nobody is going to exert themselves (selling is hard work emotionally) unless they get paid to do so! Raise your pricing and then give your techs a very generous commisiuon for upselling. I call this "earning their own raise" and I love the concept. Properly structured your employees make more money and so do you.

Just a few ideas for my first post on this forum. Please be gentle and I am impressed at what Mike and all of you have accomplished here.

Steve Toburen CR
Director of Training
Jon-Don's Strategies for Success

PS I see that Mike has posted a rather lengthy Special Report I did on Up-Selling in Harry's "outhouse". There are some pretty good ideas on selling carpet protector there IMHO. (I focused on protectors instead of tile cleaning, etc. just because it is so easy to apply it at the same visit.) Or if you would like your own e-mailed copy just drop me a lline at stoburen@homefrontsuccess.com

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
Great ideas! I guess it does come down to a fear of rejection on my part. Guess I'll have to get over it.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Hey Jim,

Been there- done that. Desperation (as in putting food on the table) was always a powerful motivator for me!

Seriously, the biggest single reason we don't sell more protector is because wqe don't ask.

Here is how you ask: "Would you like me to reapply your carpet's protective finish?" This simple little question will put thousands more dollars of profits in your pocket. Try it.

Steve Toburen CR
Director of Training

PS I also hihgly recommend INCLUDING in the cost of the application a 12 month "Spot and spill warranty". There is an entire chapter on this in the Special Report I mention above.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Just a gentle reminder, Jim. Proper up selling does not depend on being a "pushy sales type". High pressure selling has never worked in the residential environment and you are correct to be offended by the technique.

Instead, "soft sell" the customer by gaining her confidence in your professional skills AND personal interest in her home. Then she will want your professional opinion as a consultant.

Steve Toburen CR
Director of Training

PS Once again, the single biggest reason we don't sell protector is because we don't ask. Period. If technicians would just ASK FOR THE SALE (no high pressure) protector sales would double and so would the profits of the average carpet cleaner!

maker

Upselling Brochures

I think it is also important to leave care instructions for the customers instead of just verbally telling them.

This would include things from post vacuum to removal of furniture protectors, long term care, and how to treat new spots and spills.

You could have a separate column for how to treat spots on carpet that had protectant applied. The column would be much shorter and easier steps than the column on how to treat the spots if you decided not to get protectant.

At the end of the job go over the list with them. This will add value to the job you just did and the customers will appreciate it. At the same time they will see the separate care instructions for the protected carpet which could definitely add to a last minute sale.

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
Thanks for the tip Stephan. I am working on a list of things that will help improve my business and professionalism for the new year. I will definitely put that one on the list.

GRHeacock

A brochure is helpful, because it mentions stuff that a person might forget to mention if talking to the customer about the items available in addition to carpet cleaning.

Anybody is welcome to my brochure- just send me an e-mail asking for it. I also have a "What to do next" flyer that I leave behind that tells the customer about when to remove blocks, tabs, etc. I call it "Drying Instructions"

E-mail me at dfrif@juno.com

Gary

Name
Nate W.
I tried shooting an email to Gary but that email address doesn't work. I was hoping to get my hands on some examples of brochures you guys (and gals) are using.

Email me travis@outwestcarpet.com

Gary Heacock past away a few years ago..... He was an awesome man who would go out of his way to help people..... I've been fortunate to have met the man and pick his brain on some stuff.....

Reactions: Jimmy L

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
For all Ya'll that are not the pushy sales types, do you ever use brochures about what you sell and services you offer and let the customer read it while you are cleaning?
What kind of stuff do you include in it and is it about your company exclusively or product manufacturers brochures that you personalized?
What kind of response do you get? Who's got good ones? Where do you get them?
We do brochures that are four full-size pages on gloss card stock. (11x17 folded in the middle) Kind of hard for the customer to overlook. It tells about our services and what makes us different. Absolutely nothing in it that would dilute the message. Pretty easy to cook up these days with the software available. (Look at what Rico slaps together while he's "working" :icon_rolleyes:)

I used to have a sense of humor, so I'd make a little joke when I handed the brochure to the customer. More often than not they'd say: You do xxxxxxx? What would that cost? Even if they didn't order the work at that point. The cool cats would wait until I left and then call the office.

I used the brochure, cross-selling and asking for referrals as an exercise to see just how much impact one employee could have on sales growth; it was incredible. I got to the point that I bet myself how many times I'd be back in that neighborhood over the next month, and eventually wanted to own entire neighborhoods, got offended if I saw a competitor working in them.

You owner ops can't possibly have a more engaged employee standing in front of the customer, so this should work spectacularly for you.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Steve, you hit it on the head with that example of "Dad" humor. My kids tell me there are dozens of internet sited dedicated to it. Here's an example:

enhanced-buzz-24947-1384890033-4.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom