Urine detiction LED lights from Cobb

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
I need a new light & has hoping to not have to darken rooms too much to detect urine, anyone use or have an opinion on Cobbs lights? http://www.cobbcarpet.com/uv.html

A local distributor wanted me to try CTI's Forensic kit & as I expected it required pitch black rooms to work.

Thanks

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
Re: Urine detection LED lights from Cobb

I've brought it samples of the various l.e.d. uv lights to demo in-store besides the ones we have available through Interlink. The one I'm most impressed with is this one: http://www.xenopuselectronix.com/xeled/index.html

Price on it is 419.95 and it easily fluoresces urine spots in a lit room.

You can purchase it through your local ILS or go online to http://www.interlinksupply.com and enter your zip to buy it online.

Greenie

We were visited by Steve of the Maker Company, not only is he a friend but one of our favorite vendors, He makes the SuperStrap and a few other things for us, Any how one of his newest Products are UV Blackout Blinds, these absolutely make ANY UV light 5x more effective in a room, I can't wait to get our first shipment in, I expect them to sell for $139-149 range.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Micah;

The $419 UV light is a very good performer (also made here in Texas), but it is 7 Watts of UV power @ 395nm.

Our newest UV light is 9 watts of UV power @ 395nm from the same LED manufacturer and sells for $239.

When comparing lights, you must look at all the various models available to do a realistic comparison.

Larry Cobb

Luke

I have been using the 9 watt flashlight for a few weeks now. I am happy with it. Obviously, the brighter the room, the closer you have to get to the carpet with it, but if you can darken the room even a little bit, it works great.

I just got the new Cobb 9-watt, flashlight type for inspections, and it is amazing. It is like I am using an ultraviolet light for the first time. There is just no comparison between it and previous generations of ultraviolet lights.

B Steinbach

I only have experience with "previous generation" UV lights. Based on those experiences, I would recommend getting one with a "return for full refund if not completely satisfied" written policy.

Greenie

Did I mention Black out UV blinds, 2 mins. installing them will make a huge difference on showing the customer what is what, I see it as money in the bank on the first job.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Information on comparing the power of UV lights

Is a brighter or more powerful light necessarily better? In the case of UV lights the answer is NO! Certain high powered UV flashlights have hit the market for price points as low as $139. Our new 126 LED model sells for $249. What is the difference? IT comes down to what wavelength the light is emitted.

Some lights will emit light across a relatively broad range of the spectrum. Our 385nm (nm denotes the wave length) model will fluoresce even very faint urine stains. The cheaper brighter model simply fills the space with blue light making it very hard to see the stains. The wave lengths on these models will run 395-400nm and require the yellow viewing glasses to see urine. These lights are often demonstrated with chemical optical brightners. It really proves nothing as far as urine goes. If you have any doubts about the light you are purchasing, it is good to actually try it out.

Note #1: This is general information on UV lights. This is not a comment on the lights Larry Cobb sells. I have not used his lights and have no comment one way or the other on his products.

Note #2: The yellow goggles will help with any UV light. However, the broader the spectrum of light they produce the more improvement you will see as the yellow filters out part of the blue light. If you can only see urine stains with the goggles, the light is not focused at the right part of the spectrum.

Scott Warrington

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
how do the lights mentioned above stack up against the $130 light Larry was selling at Connections last year? I've found it works "ok" but on one job my client had a better light than me, she got it at the rental store and it floresed urine on a sofa that this small like wouldn't, and it wasn't that bright in the room.

As for these UV curtains, isn't it easier just to have a light that will show the urine spot in brighter light? I guess if they don't take much to hang and you have enough to cover ALL the windows. Better hope its not a house like I was in where the WHOLE wall was windows, 40 feet!

Greenie

To Answer Ron, if you covered half of the windows and the light was 25% more visible as an example it would be well worht it, I like the UV blinds cause they stick to the glass, you just slap em up, takes seconds, adds a little show to the spiel as well, nice carry bag included.

Interesting that the "rental" light was effective, just goes to show.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Ron;

Different stains can fluoresce at different UV wavelengths.

No single wavelength UV light is optimum for every type of stain.

The wavelength on our LED lights works well on "normal" urine stains.

Pet medications and diet can shift the optimum wavelength both up or down for best detection.

Larry Cobb

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
I just received the 9 watt UV from Cobb, I will try it out & see how well it performs, it came with a holster but the protective flap is too short & doesn't come close to reaching the snap/lock thingy leaving the flashlight lens unprotected & will easily slide out of the holster.

Larry, any suggestions???

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jim;

The newer style UV lights are a little longer.

They do have longer run time in the field before recharge is necessary.

The nylon holster should reach to the velcro material, but not the snap.

With a little stretch from usage, it will accommodate the light.

Larry

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
Larry,

It would have been nice if the correct holster was provided after spending $259 :cry:

Its not going to stretch an inch to reach the snap!

Where can I get the correct holster???

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
Larry,

Your company knowingly shipped an incorrect holster, your suggestion to stretch the nylon is unacceptable, its not going to stretch an inch & I shouldn't have to do it, when I placed the order with Jerry I inquired about the amber glasses, he said they weren't included but he advised that I get some, he never mentioned anything about the incorrect holster or the half ass suggestion to stretch them.

I see two ways to fix this issue...
1. You send out the correct holster that should have come with this flashlight.
or
2. I purchase a holster & you refund me the money for it, I will post a copy of the receipt so anyone dumb enough to purchase this light can see the extra cost & hassle involved.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jim;

The holster is the largest we have found. It has both Velcro and snaps to fit several sizes of lights.

I would be happy to send you the amber glasses at no charge,
or I will obtain a new holster for the improved UV light.

Does the light provide the intensity of UV light that you were looking for ?

Larry

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
Larry,

I purchased 2 amber glasses locally so a new holster would be great!

I haven't tried the light on a job yet, I did test it on my 5 year old sons bathroom in full daylight & he needs to work on his aim...the light worked fine.

Did I ever tell you about the time when I turned on my black light and this little girl came running up to me saying:

LOOK MOMMY, THE MAN HAS YELLOW DOTS ON HIS PAINTS.

I dropped everything; went out to California and changed my name to Jim Smith. (still have nightmares about this)

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
After using the flashlight in many different homes & lighting I have been very happy with the light, it does illuminate urine during the day without closing drapes or blacking out windows, I had previously tried Jon Dons BlackLight & Prochoices Forensic kit.

Thanks Larry,,,great product & customer service!

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb

Hi Jim;

Thanks for the review.

I'm glad the UV light is working well.

Are you selling more "pet odor" jobs ?

Larry

Able 1

Name
Keith
I bought one of those tube black lights and they are a pos but if anyone wants to buy it I paid $120.00 I think. It has the Gray carpet on the outside looks vary professional used it once. Will sell for $75.00.

Thats how I sell stuff and It dosen't work vary well! You intrested?

Keith

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian

Larry Cobb said:
Hi Jim;

Are you selling more "pet odor" jobs ?

Larry

Customers have been very impressed with the flashlight while performing inspections prior to cleaning, its been a huge help after cleaning with Judson Juice to find spots that are no longer visible with the naked eye, now I use poker chips to mark the spots :D

Brian Robison said:
Can you post a pic of the light? I am interested in getting one possibly.

I got the black 9 watt http://www.cobbcarpet.com/uv.html

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
jrichards said:
I see talk about useing yellow eye wear with light Explain??
Amber (yellow) googles help filter the light so you see the stains better. I highly recommend them no matter whose light you decide to use.

There is also some eye protection value, especially with the higher powered lights.

Scott Warrington
Technical Support
Interlink Supply / Bridgepoint Systems

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom