Used Van and TM

Tom Mock

I am looking at a '99 Ford E250 extended, 85,000 miles with a ProChem Legend installed. The tm has 1700 hrs on it. The options it has are fresh water tank and softener, 150' of hose and reel. The van is very clean, no leaks noted.

The owner is asking $16,000 for the package.

Is the guy in the ballpark as far as asking price? He bought the van a short time ago for his son-in-law to join him in business. The son-in-law had other ideas.

What is the best way to value a used tm?

Thanks for any input!

steve g

Name
steve garrett
figure tha machine is worth 5-6k, not sure what the van is worth, again it all depends on condition, my machine has nearly that many hours but it has absoluty no rust, had car wax put on all the machine from day one, and has been only operated by ME, it could very well almost pass as a new machine. prochems can look pretty beat up it just depends on what the machine looks like, I would say more than likely 12-13k is more in the ball park, if the thing is in really good shape 16k might be worth it. if you want email me some pics if you got them, I have been running prochems for over 10 yrs

steve g

Name
steve garrett
also there are two 1" brass caps that comprise the screen and orfice they are located on the right side of the machine in the middle if you are looking strait at it, remove the one with the screen in it, should be the one closest to the front of the machine. see if its bent up or looks like its had any scale in it before, this will tell you if the machine has had a life of soft water or not, soft water is very important in these prochems, hard water causes all sorts of issues

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I won't speak to the value of the van; you can get a book value on that. Is it a Legend or a Legend SE? The original Legend had a 3LL Vacuum Pump, the Legend SE a 4ML. If its a 1999 model, it should have a Cat Pump, which is ok. The older ones had Daishin Pumps, which are definately NOT ok.

If the hours are accurate, and its been well cared for, the price might be fair, but most Legend SE models with that amount of hours and that age sell for about 4500.00. The reel, tank, and softener do add value, of course.

Do you have a truck mount service center close to you? Perhaps you can have them look the unit over and give you an idea of its condition and value.

In the mid 90's, the Legends were pretty popular as entry level units and were fairly reliable.

Common complaints included: Issues with the charging system on the Kohler Engine, poor heat when used with high flow wands or RX20's, overheating and hose burst problems if the Orifice and Bypass System weren't regularly cleaned, and other problems common to all mid sized, heat exchange units with aircooled engines from that era.

Just remember that the heat control system dumps fresh water into the recovery tank, so if you don't have a pump out, you'll be needing to look for a "legal" dump site after every big job. Right before the Legend was discontinued, they were made with a diverter rather than a "solenoid and dump" system, and some were converted with a kit Prochem had available. You might ask if that conversion was done.

G

Jim's posts are one of the few around here that make many of mine look short!

Great job with that post Jim.

Tom Mock

Jim,
Thanks a bunch for the great insight. I'll try and get a look at it again next week and snap some pics.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom