Using 2" Hose With Porty - Yea or Nay?

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
Will using 25 feet of 2" hose make a noticeable difference in recovery with the average porty? Will it matter if there are two dual stage or 2 three stage vacs? Any ideas?

I feel like I get better suction with 2" hose, but I haven't tested it in any meaningful way.

Name
Eric Valentine
I used 50' of 2" hose with my dual 2-stage porty for almost 2 years, along with a 15' tapered hose. The vacuum at that length was abysmal at best, but wasn't any better with 35' of 1.5" (pool vacuum hose that came with the porty). I have done some rather large 2-story houses with that 65 feet of hose, and the porty was sitting just outside the door about 80% of the time.

Short version: try 50' of 2" hose, and you may be pleasantly surprised at the results.

G

Eric Valentine said:
Short version: try 50' of 2" hose, and you may be pleasantly surprised at the results.
That's what I was gonna say.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
It really depends on your plumbing from the machine inlet to the exhaust out. If the machine is plumbed to suck through 1.5 openings, there may not be much real world difference and the more length of bigger hose will only force the machine to attempt to suck more volume of air through a smaller opening. While it may preserve lift until the wand. You still need enough air flow to recover the water from the hose and that is where you will be beyond capacity. You may be correct that the 25 ft of 2" hose is helping out but beyond that you may find that it doesn't have any benefit. Though you may see a good performance from the 25 ft of 2" and then 25ft of 1.5.. much like we would do with our 2.5 inch from a truckmount down to a 2" hose.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jeff;

It has very little to do with plumbing.

It has everything to do with the length of the hose.

The longer the hose you use, the more benefit you will see from the 2" hose.

I would use 2" with 50' runs or longer.

Larry

Greenie

I agree with Larry on this one.

no matter what machine it is, if it has two vacs, it will suck just as well with 50' of 2" as it will with 25' of 1.5" period....the reduction in friction over 50' is THAT big of a deal, even more so on a 200+cfm machine.

Therefore, I am of the opinion, all but the smallest machines should be sold with 50' of 2" hose, this will encourage more to consider a 2" wand, which will once again help the machine to extract better.

Besides....who wants to work with 25' of hose, that would drive me crazy, give me a full 50'er so I can park it and get some work done.

that is my post for the week, there will be more when Mike's check clears.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
i run 100 ft of 2" hose. but my machine is plumbed 2".. and i have 3- 2stage vacs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom