Using acid rinse, how?

Name
Scott Turknett
A lot of confusing information above!

Question 1-how do I use it on a live supply porty?
Answer 1- find out what meter the nautilus uses in the auto fill system. You should be able to use the same part to meter on your water supply.

Question 2-how does this voodoo work?
Answer 2-in Shawn Bisaillon’s cct class I understood it like this. At an alkaline ph dirt loves to transfer, in an acid state dirt tends to stay where it is. This is why presprays (except special exceptions) are alkaline, and the stronger the prespray is the higher the ph is. The first thing I ask when someone starts offering the next latest and greatest prespray is for the ph. After putting the carpet in an alkaline state to transfer the soil you can rinse with plain water to get the ph close to neutral, or dose it slightly with an acidic agent to bring the ph just past neutral to acidic so soil won’t be as attracted to it.

Clear as mud?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
A lot of confusing information above!

Question 1-how do I use it on a live supply porty?
Answer 1- find out what meter the nautilus uses in the auto fill system. You should be able to use the same part to meter on your water supply.

Question 2-how does this voodoo work?
Answer 2-in Shawn Bisaillon’s cct class I understood it like this. At an alkaline ph dirt loves to transfer, in an acid state dirt tends to stay where it is. This is why presprays (except special exceptions) are alkaline, and the stronger the prespray is the higher the ph is. The first thing I ask when someone starts offering the next latest and greatest prespray is for the ph. After putting the carpet in an alkaline state to transfer the soil you can rinse with plain water to get the ph close to neutral, or dose it slightly with an acidic agent to bring the ph just past neutral to acidic so soil won’t be as attracted to it.

Clear as mud?
Rinsing even with an alkaline rinse agent will still leave the carpet close to neutral whole removing even more soil

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Acid rinses are helpful in preventing dye bleeding and browning in upholstery cleaning. In carpet cleaning, they can assist in neutralizing an alkaline traffic lane cleaner if you are cleaning nylon carpet, and can help in rinsing as well.

Make sure you use it as a rinse through your extractor, and don't just spray it on carpet and leave it. That drops pH, but doesn't rinse. In fact it just adds another residue.

Whether or not acid rinsing nylon carpet is important is something that's been debated for years.

I see benefits in my own experiences and tests.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
You wont notice the visual pop with an acid rinse on polys like you see with wool or fine fabric

but you do get more 1 pass cleans imo

I carry 3 rinses bout 80% my residential gets acid rinse, the other 20% split between either an alkaline or self neutralising rinse

if you dont want to prespray under furniture or have to respray an area thats dried or could do with a little more is where a rinse that has cleaning ability is golden

try it on a grubby 1 where you've got time to try with and without and you can see if it suits your setup and system etc

Try firestorm you won’t see any drop off with a acid!

Reactions: Jimmy L

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Acid rinses are helpful in preventing dye bleeding and browning in upholstery cleaning. In carpet cleaning, they can assist in neutralizing an alkaline traffic lane cleaner if you are cleaning nylon carpet, and can help in rinsing as well.

Make sure you use it as a rinse through your extractor, and don't just spray it on carpet and leave it. That drops pH, but doesn't rinse. In fact it just adds another residue.

Whether or not acid rinsing nylon carpet is important is something that's been debated for years.

I see benefits in my own experiences and tests.
Jim here is where I will disagree on one point. You are right if you are using one of the nuclear presprays that are a 12 ph or more, which you shouldn't be using on residential unless it's trashed and it's the last resort. I may have to make a video about it but if you are using a 10 ph prespray and you treat a moderately soiled carpet with it and let it dwell a bit, when you measure the ph at the carpet, you will find that it will usually be neutral or slightly acidic because of the acidic soiled dissolved in it. Bring a ph pen to a job and test it. Rinsing with a alkaline detergent, also 10 ph or less will also usually show up as neutral or slightly alkaline after about 5 minutes. Alkaline rinses remove more acidic soil than acidic rinses. There are always exceptions to the rule but in my opinion, you are safe using a 10 ph or less prespray followed by a 10 ph or less rinse on nylon carpet.

Reactions: BIG WOOD and ruff

Tom Forsythe

There are always exceptions to the rule but in my opinion, you are safe using a 10 ph or less prespray followed by a 10 ph or less rinse on nylon carpet.

Alkaline builders in products with 10 pH or less usually contains phosphates (generally means higher price). The higher the pH and the lower the cost are formulas with a lower level of phophates. Carbonates (pH 11) cost starts at X, metasilicates (pH 12.5) costs start as 1.5X, and phosphates (pH 10) costs start at 4X. Phosphates are easier to rinse which is another reason why the pH drops to neutral as more of the pre-spray is gone. Powdered pre-sprays and rinses at 10 pH means a higher percentage of phosphate resulting in free rinsing.

If you insist on using hard water or to not use a rinse, then a pre-spray with a high amount of phosphate partially makes up for those choices. The emulsified globs of soil and oils surrounded by phosphates will be more readily rinsed with water alone than pre-sprays with low levels of phosphate. Bio Break and Clean Free (soap free) are our powdered pre-sprays that meet this description.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Talking about synthetic carpet: A few years of infield experience comparing acid rinse versus mild alkaline rinse (including, 3 different cleanings, done side by side experiments in my own home) proved to me beyond a reasonable doubt that there's absolutely no re-soil difference between the two. None!

And also higher chance of re-appearing stains with an acid rinse (some stains came back, not so with the alkaline rinse.) Alkaline rinses simply remove soil better.

Acid rinse will leave the fiber softer. Which does not mean cleaner.

Last edited:

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
I don't use it to prevent resoiling or "recoiling" as some y'all say

Its just easier, looking back last year rough calculation it costs .50c a job to run a rinse

reappearing stains is not enough rinsing or dry strokes or both, not acid or alkaline or plain ol waters fault

Reactions: Jimmy L

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I hardly ever have re-appearing stains and I do plenty of rinse and dry strokes.
Acid rinse just does not pick up as much. Not in my experience.

Also it is not easier, as it requires and relies on a heavier pre-spray, as the pre-spray has to do absolutely all the "heavy lifting".

Whatever system works for you is great. But acid rinse does not get better results. Unless you use a highly alkaline, knockout pre-spray, which in most cases is not really necessary or good for the carpet.

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I hardly ever have re-appearing stains and I do plenty of rinse and dry strokes.
Acid rinse just does not pick up as much. Not in my experience.

Also it is not easier, as it requires and relies on a heavier pre-spray, as the pre-spray has to do absolutely all the "heavy lifting".

Whatever system works for you is great. But acid rinse does not get better results. Unless you use a highly alkaline, knockout pre-spray, which in most cases is not really necessary or good for the carpet.
Or good for your health.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
For me the main benefit of a very slightly acid side rinse...using Saiger's new one...is I don't have to switch back and forth. I do a lot of in home rug cleaning and upholstery cleaning.
In the same house I might do polyester wall to wall carpet, wool rugs and various upholstery that may be natural or a blend fabric... it gets to be a real pain to switch from the alkaline rinse back to the acid rinse -
Sometimes I will be working on two floors to make it even more of a pain.
Mr Pemberton suggested to me quite awhile ago that I just switch to an acid rinse and I resisted until I tried the Saiger product which is barely acid.
I don't notice any difference in my cleaning with the switch, and that includes on a restaurant I do quarterly... I only do one.
It also has a nice light clean scent...so that is nice too.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Did anyone here know that Sno-bowl is the best thing to get rotor and brake dust off
Painted or alloy rims....

Have a bucket of water and a wash Mitt
Ready to flush after no more than 10 min

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Talking about synthetic carpet: A few years of infield experience comparing acid rinse versus mild alkaline rinse (including, 3 different cleanings, done side by side experiments in my own home) proved to me beyond a reasonable doubt that there's absolutely no re-soil difference between the two. None!

And also higher chance of re-appearing stains with an acid rinse (some stains came back, not so with the alkaline rinse.) Alkaline rinses simply remove soil better.

Acid rinse will leave the fiber softer. Which does not mean cleaner.
Winner winner chicken dinner

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom