Using both an impregnator and a gloss sealer

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I'm trying to find the best way to apply protection on this quarry tile I'll be messing with in a few weeks. I know that an impregnator, like Harvard's Stone Impregnator 407 is probably the best because of how it seeps in the grout and quarry. But it'll dry invisible and I think my customer wants a gloss look to it after I'm done. So I'm considering applying something like Harvard's Marbleous Sealer/Finish after I put down the S/I 407. My question is: Will the Marbleous stick to the 407 correctly? Any of the Harvard guys on here to answer this?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
In other words, will a gloss sealer bond to a floor that has an impregnator sealer on it?

Mikey P

Administrator
If you're going to put a topical on there's absolutely no reason to put in impregnate her but they need to know that the topical is going to require stripping and reapplying overtime depending on how picky they are.

It's kind of like paying for curbside trash service when you already burn all your crap in the backyard

Reactions: BIG WOOD

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
If you're going to put a topical on there's absolutely no reason to put in impregnate her but they need to know that the topical is going to require stripping and reapplying overtime depending on how picky they are.

It's kind of like paying for curbside trash service when you already burn all your crap in the backyard
What’s the average maintenance schedule on how long it’ll hold up before it needs stripped. This place is going to be used for night classes

revitalize

Name
adrian
Are you sure its quarry tile? Quarry tile is unglazed ceramic and its usual uses are restaurant kitchens due to it being less slippery than wet glazed tile. If it is, no clue how it will look when finished but maybe a color enhancing sealer or something like a wet look paver sealer (consult the product manufacturers). I don't think you want to get into stripping wax off quarry tile and grout or your customer wanting to pay for time necessary to complete that job.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Are you sure its quarry tile? Quarry tile is unglazed ceramic and its usual uses are restaurant kitchens due to it being less slippery than wet glazed tile. If it is, no clue how it will look when finished but maybe a color enhancing sealer or something like a wet look paver sealer (consult the product manufacturers). I don't think you want to get into stripping wax off quarry tile and grout or your customer wanting to pay for time necessary to complete that job.
Yes it’s quarry. I’ll take your advice on that

Rob Fairfield

Supportive Member
Name
Rob Fairfield
Like Mike said impregnating sealers aren't necessary when using a topical sealer. In fact, using an impregnating sealer first will repel most topical sealers.

If you decide to use a topical sealer to get a glossy look make sure to use an acrylic not a lacquer. Acrylics don't ship, peel or yellow. Acrylics, unlike lacquers, can be reapplied over worn or high traffic areas. Lacquers have to completely stripped and reapplying.

If stripping is necessary, acrylics come of fairly easy with water based strippers. Lacquers are a nightmare to strip and the chemicals used are nasty.
Stone-Gloss.png

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Like Mike said impregnating sealers aren't necessary when using a topical sealer. In fact, using an impregnating sealer first will repel most topical sealers.

If you decide to use a topical sealer to get a glossy look make sure to use an acrylic not a lacquer. Acrylics don't ship, peel or yellow. Acrylics, unlike lacquers, can be reapplied over worn or high traffic areas. Lacquers have to completely stripped and reapplying.

If stripping is necessary, acrylics come of fairly easy with water based strippers. Lacquers are a nightmare to strip and the chemicals used are nasty.
View attachment 96565
That’s the answer I was looking for. Thank you

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
need to look at the fuction of this floor... as mentioned before , the main reason quarry is used is there is a metal(or like) aggregate baked into it for slip resistance. You put a coating on it, your going to turn it in to a slip and slide....

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
As mentioned, a lot of people put in quarry tile because it is anti-slip. Applying a topical can change that. Make sure your client knows that and is okay with it because it can increase their liability if the floor becomes wet. Should someone slip/fall and they investigate that and find you applied the topical, it could become bad news for you.

Latest posts

Latest Auctions

Back
Top Bottom