Using the current economic crisis in your marketing.

Mikey P

Administrator
Could have already happened, has for me, but when will the general public get tired or offended of companies offering discounts due to the economy?

I'm getting my annual February card ready in my mind and am considering mentioning the mess we are all in as a excuse for a hefty discount for work done in my slowest month.

What are your personal and businessman thoughts on the subject.

Green is getting old, how long till slow down/recession has too?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Go to Amazon and order "Jeffrey Gitomer's Little Teal Book of TRUST"

His concept fits most every decent service business.

Don't buy into any big marketing program until you've read it, studied it, and understand it.

Another interesting side note:

There appears to be one category of household goods that have had high sales in 2008:

Cookware.

Think it through.....Its great news for home service businesses like yours.

And to answer your question: Never use a negative experience as a reason for a sale. You'll attach their fears and worries to your company. Not a good thing.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Marty

I was just going to comment that you haven't abused me lately, and I was wondering if you cared.......

Now that I know you do:

1. The book will answer his question.

2. My final comment is the direct answer.

3. I was going to put the final answer in a "PS" to attract his attention, but felt it would annoy you.

4. Does using numbers as bullets annoy you as much as PS' do?

hogjowl

Idiot™
Actually, Jim, numbering your bullets actually helps me focus. The PS's piss me off because they almost always have nothing to do with the topic at hand, or they are a worthless continuation of the topic already discussed.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Thanks Marty.

Now that I've quit being a smart ass, Mike's question is a good one, and I hope we get more feedback on the subject.

I had lunch with one of the most successful cleaners in my area on Tuesday. He told me that his 2008 business was slightly ahead of 2007, but he had to work a lot harder (and spend more) to get it. He didn't discount; instead he did what he considered to be a better job of reminding his customer base of his service mix. (As an example, few of his customers really understood that he could clean wood, tile and grout, and area rugs.)

Mikey P

Administrator
My biz was up about 10% last year, this year who knows but with the rug plant and a bit more marketing I have high hopes of staying alive.

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
What's that old saying about your attitude and your altitude?

If I have a choice, and who doesn't, I choose to be around happy, positive, optimistic people.

I assume my customers do too.

And, besides, what do people do when they feel down? They do things that make 'em feel better.

Sometimes they buy stuff to make 'em feel better.

Stuff like carpet cleaning.

If people want doom and gloom they can turn on the news.

I wanna be the guy they can call to make 'em feel better.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That's exactly what our 08 was like.

We marketed like crazy only to come up a little bit short of 07.
I wonder what would have happened had we not worked so hard at it. :shock:

So for 09 it's time to put the pedal to the metal if we are to avoid slipping any more.

Greg Loe

Never use a negative experience as a reason for a sale. You'll attach their fears and worries to your company. Not a good thing.

Outstanding post!!!

When you remind people how bad the economy is, you also remind them that they might can go longer between cleanings.

Just my dumb thoughts.

Thanks Jim. :D

Fon Johnson

I suppose there will be those who will think that YOU are just trying not to go under in bad times but.. I think if done right it is not a bad idea. I see some ads like that around here, and it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling that someone is trying to "help us out" in bad times. I also can appreciate saving some money. Yes I know it is a marketing angle, but that does not change the fact that I can get a good value on something I need or want. Lets face it, most of us need to save where we can. It does not mean we are poor, but planning and preparing for worse times that MAY come.

The key here is to not look like you are desperate for sales, but to promote value while trying to do something to help your fellow man. An intelligent person can do both without looking desperate.

Chris A

Name
Chris
I'm trying to focus on total Value in our marketing, but not really because of the recession, I just think its a good idea and we've never done it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom