V pto shaft is toast

Mikey P

Administrator
back in October I had the pillow blacks and U joints replaced, three years or so the fitst yoke off the pto blew apart (not getting lubed by my chimp) and now the spline shaft is bent so while their at it I'm replacing the all yokes before she blows...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buoGIOTzp5E

Not sure how it got bent, could be one of the transmission goobers dropped it or possibly when the 1st yoke blew apart but I would have though the noise and bouncing that showed up yesterday would have reared it's ugly head a lot sooner.

$250 in parts, 2.5 hours labor.

Found a great pto supply place down in Salinas that had everything (5 pieces) in stock and loads of knowledge and I'm blessed to have a local machine and fabrication shop to fix it all. Farm gear is their specialty so the POS Vortex is nothing special

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
That's what happened to mine....the yoke strap broke........
But mine was running full load....and when it let lose it was Armageddon...

it was not so bad the PTO shaft took off like a missile and exploded...but shrapnel went through the transmission pan and it was game over from there.....

I think it was this part that took out the tranny....found it resting by the tire......

0417081616b_zps075dc95b.jpg

0417081627_zpsbe43291d.jpg

I ordered another complete PTO shaft from A/T and replaced it myself...

But she had to be towed to a repair shop to have the pan pulled and the hole welded back up........

0417081702_zps5bc0ef40.jpg

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Dang Mikey,

An double Dang Jim,

Having a local shop or garage that can help work on this stuff is super handy. Plus the good ones will usually provide priceless tips.

How much that cost ya total Martin?

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Chris..wadn't you that bought one of my spares for a hunnert bukz....?

Totally different equip Bawb. Wr would have a belt snap before a grenade scenario like these guys went through.

An it was $400 azzholio : )

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

Reactions: Jimbo

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Dang Mikey,

An double Dang Jim,

Having a local shop or garage that can help work on this stuff is super handy. Plus the good ones will usually provide priceless tips.

How much that cost ya total Martin?

I don't remember....this was abut 5 years ago..(?)..

If it was not for it hitting the pan and punching a hole in it....I could of just strapped the PTO shaft up to the side and drove it home and fixed it...

the tow bill was high because of the size truck they had to send out...then the cost to fix the pan....

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Dang man,

Is there a place to put a shield in there? 4 bolts is better than a tow any day!

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Dang man,

Is there a place to put a shield in there? 4 bolts is better than a tow any day!

not really...and the way this thing came UN-glued....even if there was a holding strap to catch the shaft.....it would not of stopped all those flying parts........

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Sharpies are fun, kinda like crayons with a buzz : )

he8utape.jpg

Reactions: Mikey P

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I know I busted your vacuum, but I didn't think I had enough time on the V to break that too!

I can be hard on some equipment sometimes.

Old Racing habit....run it like ya stole it!

Mark

Reactions: GCCLee

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I'm having two straps installed but the key is replacing the U joints every busy year or so.

And lots of grease..

when I brought mine home from MN it still had that stupid shield under it and when I removed it...I found those front bearing that were hidden up in there and they were worn out....

Those were one of the first of many things I fixed on that truck....I always keep them heavily greased....the only thing I can figure on that yoke..was that the MN salt might of gotten to it and weakened the holding strap...

I am just glad no one was standing around the truck when it let lose......parts went everywhere..........

I really liked that truck...........but I would be lying if I said I missed it...........it was always something

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Totally different equip Bawb. Wr would have a belt snap before a grenade scenario like these guys went through.

An it was $400 azzholio : )

that WAS my tongue in cheek comment......azzholio : )

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom