Vac release spring...

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
mine has about had it so I am going to change it out this weekend....

any advice...how do I make sure it is set right.....

Has anyone ever pulled the entire unit off to look at it..any pictures.....

Greenie

TO be fair Jim, you single wand....no?
That thing could be singing like a banshee and you'd never notice it on a single wand with a 68 blower.

When u block off the vac port, what does your gauge currently read?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
about 14.5 and the spring is about ready to jump out of the truck..it is sitting there chattering........

I have had a new one floating around in the glove box forever so I figured I would just change it out

Greenie

If I remember correctly, those have a 2" MPT, they just unscrew, the one in your glovebox, will it just screw right in?

or...does yours look like this?

Vortex-venturi043.jpg

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I run the truck up to full rpm and plug the vacuum hole to set it to 16

and do I loosen it to run it up and tighten it to run it down or the other way around.....

Greenie

lefty loosey = lower HG
righty tighty = higher HG

It doesn't need to be set higher...u just need some bigger hose to let er' breath.

You could "set" it as high as 20"hg....doesn't matter unless you suck up the cat by accident...when you are strung out with 2 hoses and 4 to the door, and actively cleanign with one wand, what does hte vac gauge say....15"HG?

15 is 15

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
so what your telling me is ..I can set it a 20 if I wanted and it would not hurt anything.....with my set up the way I run ..if 16 is all it is going to give me then the spring will not open.....

Greenie

I ain't sayin' 20 on a public forum....what matters is what you are cleaning at, and that you don't suck up any curtains or animals to completely load the system.

That looks like an AT designed relief valve...that spring should have some more room to tighten the spring nut a bit, you shouldn't "need' a new releif.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
ok I will try tightening it down first and see what happens.......why do you think it was jumping around and chattering like it was......I could fell it in my hose ..that is what made me go out and look at it

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Greenie was correct...dirty it was..........this stuff was caked on....so it would not seat tight...

IMG_3987.jpg

IMG_3988.jpg

so I cleaned it up as good as it would come off...

IMG_3989.jpg

IMG_3990.jpg

I tested the spring with the new one and it seemed like the old one had a little less resistance..but not enough that I felt it would do any good to change it yet so I put the old one back on...

IMG_3991.jpg

when I took it off some crap fell in the pipe and so I figured I would take the pipe and the elbow off and clean it out...the elbow that went down was not even seated into the rubber boot..you can see the white marks where they sanded it down to fit the rubber sleeve and that was all that was attached........

IMG_3994.jpg

IMG_3995.jpg

I don't know why it was like this ( might explain the tape that was on it ) and I have never noticed it really giving me a problem...but it looked like from the air marks on the inside it has been leaking....

they had the rubber sleeve all the way down on the nipple ...........but there way plenty of room that it could of been lifted so the elbow could of sat in the right way..

IMG_3993.jpg

IMG_3992.jpg

so I lifted and adjusted it and sat the elbow all the way down so it was tight on the rubber sleeve....

IMG_3998.jpg

started it all up and sat the RPM's at 1500 and capped off both vac ports and the HG's shot up to 15.5

vac relief is nice and steady again and it even sounds smother.... so I probably had 2 problem not just one...
the vacuum relief and the elbow not sat the right way....

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
its always nice when you go to fix 1 problem you solve more.......

then its even nicer to see how the rig will work out now.....

John Watson

Sorry Jim, It seems like you got more problems,

The lobes of your blower aint rusty so you can't be doing a good job extracting,

Yor schenry is too clean, we worken folks all know that our stuff gits dirty with normal use,

yor stuff jest has to be staged, Not to be pickin on me brother Dougy, but he painlessly posted what a true working van looks like. Yor truck looks like it always is jest coming from a photo shoot fer one of those high falutin magazines or sompen. Come on Jim, gives us the truth, who ya pimpin fer?????

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
John Watson said:
Sorry Jim, It seems like you got more problems,

The lobes of your blower aint rusty so you can't be doing a good job extracting,

Yor schenry is too clean, we worken folks all know that our stuff gits dirty with normal use,

yor stuff jest has to be staged, Not to be pickin on me brother Dougy, but he painlessly posted what a true working van looks like. Yor truck looks like it always is jest coming from a photo shoot fer one of those high falutin magazines or sompen. Come on Jim, gives us the truth, who ya pimpin fer?????

Not really having problems....truck seems to be running pretty good......It was just apparently time to clean the relief valve ...........who knew.....

As for my truck......they are not hard to keep up with and keep clean...every 50 hours I do a maintenance on it...and wipe everything down...and vacuum it out...I try to make it a practice never to mix chemicals inside the truck.....I take the time and put things back where I got them ..not just toss it in the back of the truck and shut the door...

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
It was really not that hard...but take the whole assembly out because you will need to clean the bottom of where the plunger seats not just the plunger.........I measured the distance from the top of the plunger to the top of the nut for distance.....and after I was done and ran the truck I turned it a few turns tighter.....and that pretty much bottomed out the threads........

Name
BradFenstermaker
Jim atleast your boot was just off a little.

Someone had mine apart and cut the 4-6in reducer then reused it.

Put the cut side near the floor where it looked like nothing was wrong.

Glad you got it fixed. My new spring has made a difference.

Later

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
sounds like a good idea. Mine has been jumping around, got stuck once. I spray WD40 in there about once a week since.

My throttle/rpm switch is getting a little loose too. Too much variation in rpm between no load and load.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Brad how did you take yours out ours look completely different from jims and havent messed with it becasue i didnt have a clue on how to do it.

Greenie

Those pics are what I call an AeroTech relief, I'm not sure which year they started making them from scratch, but all of the AT Mfg. Vortex' I've seen have them, I know the FMI made units actually have TWO relief springs, they look like conical shaped agricultural valves, I suspect this double valve design was used somewhere else, another Vortex builder at one time, although it escapes me why you would need two releif valves, especially when thay can't be easily serviced.

They are constantly sucking in a carbon base from the diesel truck, they really need to be serviced annually, and lubricated weekly.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Greenie said:
Those pics are what I call an AeroTech relief, I'm not sure which year they started making them from scratch, but all of the AT Mfg. Vortex' I've seen have them, I know the FMI made units actually have TWO relief springs, they look like conical shaped agricultural valves, I suspect this double valve design was used somewhere else, another Vortex builder at one time, although it escapes me why you would need two releif valves, especially when thay can't be easily serviced.

They are constantly sucking in a carbon base from the diesel truck, they really need to be serviced annually, and lubricated weekly.

How are these sucking in carbon from the diesel...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom