Vacuuming Smart Strand

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
I picked up a metal Royal off eBay this week. Hopefully, this will be the answer for me.
I prefer my metal Royals to all others I've ever used. Best performance, durability, and convenience. Motor is more powerful than Kirby, is lighter, and handle locks for stairs.

I have one Royal Commercial I've used on almost every job for over ten years. Still going strong.

Last edited:

sevenmacs

Name
Steve McNamara
I have smart strand in my home, doesn't vacuum any different than any other pile of same weight. We use a commercial Sanitaire, have used them in my business for over 30 years very affordable and inexpensive / easy to repair.

Mike Draper

I think a good fit for you would be the restaurant style vacuum that has no motor, you just push it. They are cheap and uncomplicated so you wont get confused.

Reactions: Able 1

hogjowl

Idiot™
I can see how a Sanitaire would work with no problems on Smart Strand. I used a Sanitaire vac for a couple of months, back years ago. Back when Mikey thought they were all the rage.

Horrible vacuum.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Mikey P

Administrator
If you really believe that than I'm betting you were unaware of a lose or worn belt, had the height setting wrong or a plugged up bag.

For deep down dry extraction nothing beats a Sanitaire.

assuming the pos belt lasts for more than six square feet, you dont need to vacuum edges or upholstery or hard floors AND you're strong enough to use it.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Anybody using a Sanitaire should have their head checked, pronto.
First you spend more time changing belts than vacuuming, then fixing the bottom metal plate. Totally agree with Marty. The man got vacuum spunk.

Though there's something to be said for that burned rubber smell when using the Sanitaire.
Addictive.

sevenmacs

Name
Steve McNamara
I have to completely disagree with you who say sanitaire are poor vacuum. Yes you'll replace belts, but belts are cheap. I have one that's 30 years old still performs well. Have used them in several janitorial accounts with great results. Currently have a daycare that we vacuum up tons of pea gravel, we replace a $ 5.00 fan occasionally, and a few belts, but this is very harsh use for them and they perform great, especially with the dirt cups, no bags. At $ 180.00 you can't go wrong, the most expensive part is the motor@ $45.00, replaced one in 30+ years. I doubt your Dysons will last 30 years, I feel definitely not worth the money, much better vacs out there for less money.

Reactions: hogjowl and Mikey P

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
When I buy a truck mount I do not want to spend a lot of time fixing it. If it is good and relatively trouble free, I don't mind the extra cost. It is worth it for me.

I feel the same about vacuum cleaners. Had three Sanitaires and hated them all- low cost, cheap parts, bent plates and that oh so familiar burned rubber smell.

I guess we all have our preferences.

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
I've had more than I can count, sold 150+ of them and never seen a bent plate. Ever.

Are you hammering nails into crosses with them?

hogjowl

Idiot™
I have to completely disagree with you who say sanitaire are poor vacuum. Yes you'll replace belts, but belts are cheap. I have one that's 30 years old still performs well. Have used them in several janitorial accounts with great results. Currently have a daycare that we vacuum up tons of pea gravel, we replace a $ 5.00 fan occasionally, and a few belts, but this is very harsh use for them and they perform great, especially with the dirt cups, no bags. At $ 180.00 you can't go wrong, the most expensive part is the motor@ $45.00, replaced one in 30+ years. I doubt your Dysons will last 30 years, I feel definitely not worth the money, much better vacs out there for less money.

That's the difference between MB and the J-Witt board. Over there, being wrong is normal.

If you keep posting here, you'll eventually learn the errors of your ways.

Reactions: Mikey P
Name
Laura
Hi all, I'm Laura with Mohawk Flooring--I know I'm pretty late here, but I noticed this thread and wanted to point you to our recently updated list of vacuums that work well with SmartStrand carpet. Mohawk has conducted in-depth vacuum testing and noted the feedback from our soft carpet customers to create this CRI-approved list of recommended vacuums. I hope this site and its info are useful for you--http://www.mohawkflooring.com/flooring-care-maintenance/vacuumingsoftcarpet/
Thanks very much, guys--
Laura with Mohawk Flooring

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Hi all, I'm Laura with Mohawk Flooring--I know I'm pretty late here, but I noticed this thread and wanted to point you to our recently updated list of vacuums that work well with SmartStrand carpet. Mohawk has conducted in-depth vacuum testing and noted the feedback from our soft carpet customers to create this CRI-approved list of recommended vacuums. I hope this site and its info are useful for you--http://www.mohawkflooring.com/flooring-care-maintenance/vacuumingsoftcarpet/
Thanks very much, guys--
Laura with Mohawk Flooring

Thank you for caring enough to post this information.
The gang here isn't always tactful when addressing manufacturers of products, especially as it relates to what they need to use or how they should use it, but I can speak for everyone here that they will respect the fact you took the trouble to show up and help!

Its much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom