Van size matters

Bob Foster

Most of us are carrying more weapons because we are more involved in caring for more surfaces now. Not only that for those of us who have gone to high flow many of us have come to realize that it requires cargo room and GVW capacity for more supply and or waste water. The only way around it is to not have a supply tank so you have more room and GVW left to carry tools.

For a 2 slide-in truck I would suggest nothing less than 14 feet and maybe even go to 15 16 feet. An Aerotech or Vortex is 15.5 feet. For a single slide in truck I would go with 14 to 12. Using high flow technique the minimum water you want to carry for a single slide in if you want to self contain water is 125 gallons.

As a high flow operator I have no problem using up 125 gallons or more of water in a day. I can easily go through that in a restaurant or bar especially if I am doing a little tile work. I am getting rid of my 125 tank and going to a 150 because it is more upright and I need the water capacity. I recently put my TNT and a #4 little giant in an extended raised roof Dodge van and it sucks – I have no room. I hate it. I took the van over the scales the other day and it weighed just less than 7700 pounds.

I am currently building a 12 foot Ford cube van for myself and will move my equipment into that. This van runs on propane making the whole rig 100% propane. Our propane costs 60% of the price of gas.
GVWBLANKED.jpg

There are several Ford dealers in the US willing to sell a Ford LCF with a box for $36,000. That's not bad when you consider the big picture.

Revision1Picture1.jpg

hogjowl

Idiot™
Re: Size matters

What the heck is a TNT? I suppose it must run on propane too?

I certainly wouldn't want to have to fool with dual fuels AND an ugly ass cube truck all at the same time.

Name
I'm Rick James

I'm curious if you get into a bad wreck are you gonna explode?

Bob Foster

The TNT is one of the oldest produced Judson units. I am putting a propane carb on the 18 HP Briggs. The truck, TM and Heater are not dual fuel but dedicated propane. The tanks are DOT/TC rated.

There are three ways to convert a small engine to propane:
A ring thingy that sits on the top of the carb and looks like a propane burner - least prefered conversion
A spud adaptor that goes into the side of the stock carb - a bit better conversion
A real propane carb - that's what I am getting apparently it is supposed to work the best

http://www.propanecarbs.com/small_engines.html

Cube vans are ugly. I wish I could have get a Ford LCF - I like those with a low roof.

Bob Foster

I would check on that locally. The new tech truck engines can be expensive to convert. The TMs are cheap to convert.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom