Van Size

DoubleAA

I'm ready to move up from the porty in the back of the suv to an entry level TM (Boxxer 318) in a van. My plan is to get the van 1st, keep doing the porty thing a bit longer, then move forward with the TM.

Question...
I'd like to go with a Chevy Express Cargo Van
I've heard a 3/4 or larger is recommended.
Does that mean the v6 1/2 tons are completely out of the question??? Even if I'm going with a Compact TM like the Boxxer 318? Also, would this completely rule out having a fresh water tank on board? I plan on staying a one man operation and want to keep getting the job done with a minimalist approach. Advice/Suggestions will be appreciated...Thanks, Double AA

Name
I'm Rick James
DoubleAA said:
I'm ready to move up from the porty in the back of the suv to an entry level TM (Boxxer 318) in a van. My plan is to get the van 1st, keep doing the porty thing a bit longer, then move forward with the TM.

Question...
I'd like to go with a Chevy Express Cargo Van
I've heard a 3/4 or larger is recommended.
Does that mean the v6 1/2 tons are completely out of the question??? Even if I'm going with a Compact TM like the Boxxer 318? Also, would this completely rule out having a fresh water tank on board? I plan on staying a one man operation and want to keep getting the job done with a minimalist approach. Advice/Suggestions will be appreciated...Thanks, Double AA

Congrads on your growning business. I agree that 3/4 or larger is the best way to go. Just curious why you leaning towards the 318, they look like good machines, havent heard much about them. Good luck.

G

Sounds like you have a solid plan. I started with an EDIC porty; then boxer; then prowler. Got a Recoil; sold prowler; waiting for the kids to wear out the boxer; then gonna get 2 more Recoils. Point is; make your plan stick to it. I'd definently get some of those glides for your wand; a friend was on a job and I stopped to say hello; he let me check out his glides; definently on to something there. I take it you are properly insured; even for yourself I would carry workmans compensation; it may open a few corporate doors for ya. Take advantage of free advertising; and handout a lot of business cards.

Good Luck

Supersucker

I have had both a chevy 1/2 ton shorty and ford 3/4 ton v-6. If you want a standard van body you can get either Ford or GM with a V-6 in 3/4 ton and possibly 3/4 ton extended, I'm not sure.

However, I would suggest the 10-12' single rear wheel box van. This type of van will have more cubic capacity, you can stand up in it which will make it easier to load bulky equipment such as portables. It is also easier to fit out with shelving, water tanks etc. Plus you won't have exhaust all over your driver & passenger seats.

BTW, I have a Hydramaster Spitfire. Do your self a favor and look at a unit from Judson, Cobb, Duane Oxley, or practically any other unit than what you're looking at.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
3/4 ton would be better

1/2 ton will work with out water tanks

donno about with a fresh water tank though.
120 gal of water weights just shy of a 1000 pounds

..L.T.A.

DoubleAA

Thanks for the replys/advice guys. I will take everything into consideration...as I have not married myself to any van or TM model yet. I'm here to learn and I'm all ears.

OK...so a smaller van will work but at the sacrafice of no freshwater tank. How outdated is hooking up to the customers hoseline...Do most services still use this approach or is this kinda looked down on? I'm thinking I'd almost prefer no freshwater tank...more weight/cost expenses etc...Keep in mind I'm coming from the whole porty inside the home process. To me having to only plug into the outside hoseline seems like no big deal. Anyway, what do you think?

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
If it fits your budget I would recommend at least a 3/4 ton. I prefer an extended also but to each thier own. Space is hard to come by and you will fill up a reg cab in a hurry depending on how much you are planning to grow. The Hydramaster 318 is a great machine for the guys looking to step up from a portable. It has good heat, enough pressure to tackle tile jobs and has good vacuum. Great price on it too.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Unfortunately, a half-ton van is a car with a big body on it. Appropriate for flower and croissant deliveries only, unless you're fond of replacing brakes and bushings at regular intervals. If you're buying good quality used, I think you'll pay less for the step up to 3/4 ton than you'll pay in additional repairs. Also, you'll find a bigger truck loafing under load will get about the same fuel economy as a smaller truck straining under load.

I highly recommend a one ton if you plan on hauling water.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
DoubleAA said:
Thanks for the replys/advice guys. I will take everything into consideration...as I have not married myself to any van or TM model yet. I'm here to learn and I'm all ears.

OK...so a smaller van will work but at the sacrafice of no freshwater tank. How outdated is hooking up to the customers hoseline...Do most services still use this approach or is this kinda looked down on? I'm thinking I'd almost prefer no freshwater tank...more weight/cost expenses etc...Keep in mind I'm coming from the whole porty inside the home process. To me having to only plug into the outside hoseline seems like no big deal. Anyway, what do you think?

I don't know what the percentage is, but I'd guess more guys direct hook than not

You'll encounter some problems from time to time when hooking up via garden hose.
Non working (or non existent) hose bib outside is the most common one you'll encounter.
Frozen ones in winter can be a PITA for us in colder climates
That's over come by hooking up inside to laundry hook up or sink by use of faucet adapter.

One faucet adapter with combo I/S and O/S threads will fit 97% of the faucets in America.
A separate adapter that fits in it will get you hooked up to the other 2.97%
You'll find those adapters at just about any hardware store that sell faucet aerators.
Certainly at all the Home Depot/Lowes stores
About $4 bukz is all they cost.

About the only ones you won't be able to do will be the empties on a well system and the electric is off

..L.T.A.

Walt

If it were me and I were on a budget.

The smaller sprinter van (gas) - compact and can handle the weight of water tanks. Much nicer than a Chevy van. Plus you will stand out from the pack.

PowerClean LibertyXT. I tried one out, and it's very impressive for its size. Small and powerful. However, I would order it with a larger waste tank.

My .02

Shawn Abbey

Name
Shawn Abbey
Bryan brought up an excellent reply that bears repeating......

The smaller the van, the more brakes, tires, you will go through.... Trust me, I've been there! Consider the advice you've been given to go with a 3/4 ton (I'd prefer a 1ton!!!) or larger. Also, consider a cube van. You'll probably find a great deal nowadays and it's something you'll grow into.

As far as water tank. I had the same reasoning as you. I ran into one for a great deal, then ran into another one.. I installed them on my cube vans and haven't regretted it. I can't remember how many times that tank has saved me a trip when the water was turned off, or was inaccessable. If you can find one used, buy it!! And, to save wear and tear on your van, make sure the tank is in a 1 ton or larger!!

Shawn

PS: 3/4 tons with a 6 are still out there, but hard to find used. I have two 3/4 vans and both have a 6. I bought one van from u-haul, and one I bought from another company.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
My 2003 WM came in a 3/4 ton Chevy Express. I fill with 100 gallons of water and tear around all day. Love that 6L V8 engine. 300 HP baby. Original brakes still fine at 60000 miles. Need a third set of tires tho.

clean one

Go to Penske used trucks . com and find a 12 or 15 foot cube van you will be glad you did. I bought a 15 foot back in 97 or 98 for cheap. It has been a great van. I do wish i had bought the 12 footer i have enjoyed the room but it is over kill just for carpet cleaning. Today it has over 204,000 miles on it and runs great.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
I've had a half ton for 10 years. it has served me well and i have had a 50 gallon tank in it. you are better without the tank and watch the weight of the machine you install. i use the tank when i need it cuz i have it set up to put in and take out. i personally would stick with a long wheel base van that is 3/4 or heavier but my half ton has done fine and i will continue with it.

Supersucker said:
BTW, I have a Hydramaster Spitfire. Do your self a favor and look at a unit from Judson, Cobb, Duane Oxley, or practically any other unit than what you're looking at.

The Spitfire is not the same machine as the 318. I've heard that the 318 is a great entry level tm, better than the Prochem Blazer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom