Van won't start

T

The Magician

Sounds like its not getting gas. Is it difficult to install a new fuel pump? 98 Chev. 1 ton van.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Its not hard to change the fuel pump. This is what you need to know... On those vans the fuel filter is in the gas tank... I hate this design cause you cant change your fuel filter. Take it to a mechanic and have him put his TECH 2 on it. to make sure its the fuel pump.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
It should be easy. 00'ish and Newer vans have the pump in the tank :roll: . Did you change out the fuel filter?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
never changed one on Chevy, Jimmy

but if it's in the tank, you'll need to drop the tank
That's the PITA part

once the tank is down, the pump should be about as easy as changing a light bulb

..L.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
meAt said:
never changed one on Chevy, Jimmy

but if it's in the tank, you'll need to drop the tank
That's the PITA part

once the tank is down, the pump should be about as easy as changing a light bulb

..L.T.A.
BUT REMEMBER don't have that drop lite near the tank as you lower it out.....

Cleancare

If it is the fuel pump and it's just died. You could try giving the fuel tank a whack (assuming it's an intank fuel pump) with a mallet while someone starts the car. Might be good enough to get you to the mechanic.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Squirt a little fuel or carb cleaner in the air inlet and crank it. If it runs for a few seconds then you're right, not getting gas. Check with a test light or meter to be sure there's voltage going to the pump before you drop the tank, could be a fuse or bad fuel pump relay. Would be a shame to drop the tank only to find out the prob was somewhere else. The pump should energize for 5-10 seconds when you turn the ignition on (without cranking)

You may be able to buy just the pump, or the complete assembly with sender and pressure switch. Buy the whole thing so you don't have to drop the tank later when the sender etc. goes bad too.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
bob vawter said:
BUT REMEMBER don't have that drop lite near the tank as you lower it out.....

or a half a tank of gas in it.....

I did a google search and the only pumps for sale I'm seeing for '98 C3500 are in-tank pumps

..L.T.A.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I cut a hole in the van floor so I didn't have to drop the tank....the way the factory SHOULD have designed it.

There is also a collision switch that will shut off the fuel pump, as noted above check with a meter before removing anything.

Thanks,
Lee

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Didn't they put a filter up in the frame....some where around the middle of the van....???

I think I remember one being on mine.........

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Jim Martin said:
Didn't they put a filter up in the frame....some where around the middle of the van....???

I think I remember one being on mine.........

Yes, it should have a filter inline mounted inside the frame, I believe drivers side but I could be mistaken. Although when one suddenly goes out like I'm assuming happened here it is rarely the filter. I just changed the pump on my 98 Tahoe. Dropping the tank isn't really too big of a deal. Just a matter of disconnecting the lines and unbolting the straps that hold it up. It took me and a helper a leisurely 3 hours total and that includes a trip into town half way through. Personally I just spent the 10 bucks on a new relay and tried it first, of course that wasn't the problem but now I've got a spare relay.

nav1

Be sure to get a new wiring harness with the pump. Cheap, and that could be the problem...

Sometimes you can take a block or brick and tap on the tank while someone tries to start the truck. That worked for me. This is a temporary fix and likely will only work once or twice. When you turn the igniton key off you will hear the pump prime. If it is dead, it will not make any noise. My advice is to take it to a place that will guarantee the pump and labor for the life of the vechicle. I bought three fuel pumps in 5 months from NAPA autoparts before taking to a dealer. I have not had any problems since then.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Jimmy....me and the son are in the middle of replacing the FP in his 2000 Chevy 3500. After we dropped the tank, the pump comes out real easy. He bought a new pump ($230), and the instructions say that the harness is usually the big problem. They include a new harness to wire in. If you can reach up around the tank and wiggle the harness, it might start. We replaced the "old harness", which is available at the parts store, and it worked for a few miles.....then went out again. I think it is the harness and connector that is inside the pump that goes bad, and theres no way to fix that.

Good luck.

T

The Magician

Thanks for all the tips. called the local Chev dealership and they want $1000 to replace the fuel pump. Unbeliveable

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
The Magician said:
Thanks for all the tips. called the local Chev dealership and they want $1000 to replace the fuel pump. Unbeliveable

A skilled mechanic with access to vehicle hoist can probably wrap that job up in 1-2 hours....if nothing breaks. Get her up in the air, drop the tank on a tranny jack. A good flat rate mechanic can make good $$$$ on that job, with the right tools.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
rwcarpet said:
The Magician said:

A skilled mechanic with access to vehicle hoist can probably wrap that job up in 1-2 hours....if nothing breaks. Get her up in the air, drop the tank on a tranny jack. A good flat rate mechanic can make good $$$$ on that job, with the right tools.

Jimmy....me and the son just finished replacing his pump today. Took about 2 hours once we drained the tank. He did all the crawling on the floor....I was the "tool hand-er". Went pretty smooth. A vehicle lift would have made it a lot faster and easier.

Jimbo

Hey Jimmy...I have done that job before...It took me 5 hours on my 92 2500 Chevy 4x4 van...1000 bucks for 5 hours is a good savings for you...don't forget to drain the tank with your tm fuel pump into a bunch of 5 gallon cans...then a good hydraulic floor jack with a piece of ply wood on it to lower the tank...when it gets down just enough to get your hand above it...reach in and make sure the harness is free to come down with the tank...some have the harness held up with a hanger that folds out of the way...sheet metal.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
That model van DOES have an outer fuel filter. I've change a couple of them. It's mounted outside on the front of the tank. Just go to a parts store and buy one, then you'll see it, so you can match it.

Thx,
Dale

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom