Vanguard Engine Issues

Don336

Name
DJ Settle
I have a 18 hp Vanguard Engine on my truckmount. The engine starts and runs good with the choke slightly closed. If you pull the chock completely out the engine pulsates. When i turn on the pressure pump the engine slowly chocks out and stalls with a backfire. Does this sound like my carbs are flooding? Could there be something else causing this? Machine is a ProChem Oil Fired.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Do you mean the speed control not the choke? If you really mean the choke, then it is doing its thing just leave it closed.

How many hours on the power plant?

Don336

Name
DJ Settle
I am referring to the choke. With the choke set slightly closed the engine run fine at idle and full throttle. Once it gets a load on it, it slowly stalls out.

Don336

Name
DJ Settle
Unit has 2600 hours I'm assuming the it's the original engine. I'm going to say they haven't been cleaned.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Have you ruled out fuel filter, valves, a bad head gasket?

I haven't had air cooled for decades but back when we did one of the things that would happen when a unit had some hours on it is the carbon would build up and need to be cleaned. That could be a possibility as well.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
My first thought would be fuel filter as well. It'll flow enough to run with no load, but not enough under load (which requires more fuel).

Reactions: glenboy

Don336

Name
DJ Settle
Have you ruled out fuel filter, valves, a bad head gasket?

I haven't had air cooled for decades but back when we did one of the things that would happen when a unit had some hours on it is the carbon would build up and need to be cleaned. That could be a possibility as well.

Haven't ruled out any of the above. I'll check on those this weekend before taking it to a mechanic. Hopefully its just the fuel filter! How do you check for a bad head gasket on a air cooler motor?

Don336

Name
DJ Settle
My first thought would be fuel filter as well. It'll flow enough to run with no load, but not enough under load (which requires more fuel).

Would the bad fuel filter make it had for the engine to restart after the stall?

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
It could. After running the float bowl dry it would take some time for it to refill, especially if the flow was restricted. the engine wouldn't want to restart for a while....

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I'd go with head gasket problem. If it's loosing compression that could cause the issues. Hopefully it's not warped. Might set aside money for a new engine.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

hogjowl

Idiot™
I've had several of those engines over the years, and you are probably screwed. However, the valves on those things have to be adjusted every 200 hours or you'll have issues. So, check the valve adjustment. When that doesn't work, think long and hard before putting a head gasket on or doing any other expensive work.

Because they're a POS to begin with.

IMHO

Don336

Name
DJ Settle
I tried to fuel filter and that didn't work. But I did notice that it's not bogging down. When I hit the switch for the pump it just kills this engine. It's acting like the switch for the cat pump is working as a kill switch. I let if run and blocked of the vac inlet and gauge goes up to 15 with no issue. Once I hit to pump switch it's like I just turned the ignition off. Any thought? Could I have a short?

Name
Lee Stockwell
While the machine is shut off screw a short 1/4-20 bolt into the hole on the front of the clutch to lock it ON.

Now start the machine without turning on the pump switch. If it runs smoothly, and the pump is turning, you have a wiring problem.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
No - he means on. Could be an electrical problem, or mechanical (pump is frozen and won't turn). If Don locks the clutch with a bolt it will turn even if the pump switch is off. Lee is trying to get the pump to turn without using the electrical (switch). If it turns thus we know the pump isn't frozen up, and that leaves electrical as the only thing left. Good plan.

Name
Lee Stockwell
If you look at the swing arms across the face of the clutch you will see a little hole and the arm is notched around it a bit. The hole is threaded. Put the little bolt into it and it will lock the pulley to the pump so that it doesn't free wheel.

No one thinks their clutch has one. They all do.

Name
Lee Stockwell
index.php

Name
Lee Stockwell
Dan Gardner's image and notation for another issue, so ignore the red arrow. You need to thread the bolt into a hole on the front clutch plate into the threaded hole on the front pulley.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom