Vanguard Engine Issues

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Lee, do you have to rotate the clutch around until the little cutouts line up with tapped holes in the pulley?

Don336

Name
DJ Settle
Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. For some reason I have to let the engine sit over night before it will start again. It's acting like it isn't getting any fire or flooded.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Just curious.....did you check for vac leak in the intake system? That will cause the symtems that you have described. Runs pretty good with choke closed and riching out the engine, bogs and stumbles when you open the choke. That's my experience.

Don336

Name
DJ Settle
Would a faulty pulsation dampener help contribute to my issues? I installed a new one right around the time this all started. Just a thought.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. For some reason I have to let the engine sit over night before it will start again. It's acting like it isn't getting any fire or flooded.
Sounds like you have multiple issues....

Don336

Name
DJ Settle
Doesn't anyone know of a good reasonable mechanic in Raleigh or someone at Sunbelt that may do some side work?

Name
Marcus
I have had 3 air cooled engines go out on me all 25 hp kholers.
They lasted 1600-2800 hours depending on what kind of oil you put in and how often you change the oil.
Also if you run them full throttle or less??
I changed to generac 33 hp for about 2000$ and it seems to be doing fine so far.
You will get different opinions on this board, but if you are running full throttle 2500-3000 hours is max for air cooled especially Briggs or honda.
All those engines are rated at max no. Of reps per lifetime, hence full throttle will accumulate more reps per hour, same as a car engine????

Don336

Name
DJ Settle
I took it to a small engines guy in town. I was there while he was doing the diagnostics. He said the engine has good compression and the carb isn't bad or needed rebuilding. One of the cylinders wasn't getting fire and the other had a really weak spark. He said the magnetos needs to be replaced. His theory was that when I over filled with oil it leaked and had weakened the connection on one and killed the other. He said the carb i have is good just needs cleaning. He said he will clean the carb, and engine, replace both magnetos, and clean and reset the values for $350. Sound reasonable?

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Much cheaper than a new motor. However, having had those engines before, start putting money aside for a replacement.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom