Very upset with Customer. What to do??

G

I did a flood extraction/drying job for a lady about 1400 square feet. I gave an invoice to her and she turned it in to the insurance company. Well, I called the insurance adjuster today and she said the check was mailed 2 weeks ago and it was already cashed.

That really made me angry since I've been leaving messages last week with no return call. I even called earlier today and she never called me. What can I do? This was for $2800! I called a lawyer and he wants a $1500 retainer fee. I did not have her sign any contract, because I don't have one. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Mike Draper

Tell her she has 24 hours to pay up or you will file a lien on her house with a $500.00 fee and accruing interest.

G

I should not have left such a heated message, but I did. Anyways, how do you put a lien with a fee and interest?? Is that legal?

Able 1

Name
Keith
You know you don't NEED a lawyer right? This is small claims. Take her to Judge Judy I want to watch her lose! Or you could be boring and just file locally..

G

Of course you could always call these 2 guys I know; GUARANTEED collection ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.

:lol: :roll:

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Don't you at least need a signed work order to file a lien?.

My next move would be to go to her house when you know she will be there. Ask to talk to her husband and be nice. Even if you win in small claims it doesn't mean you'll get the money.

If that doesn't work call Rickie's guys.

Albert

topnotchman

Most insurance checks I've received, I had to have the homeowner sign it AND myself to sign it. Most insurance companies do that, what insurance company is it through? Guessing maybe a smaller outfit?

John Buxton

File a lien asap, and contact the adjustor for assistance. Here the lien must be filed less than 60 days past the end of the job.

You should fins someone that has done it before to help you, or hire it out and learn.

Always get a signed contract in the future with a clause stating the homeower agrees to have insurance send payment directly to you.

TimP

I think the hand gun that you're supposed to carry would of taken care of this problem already. :roll:

F

FB7777

its a shame you left a heated message, there's always time to get angry later.

It is quite possible she is avoiding you, it is also possible she has not heard the messages.

As suggested, go over to the home and politely discuss the matter of payment... its harder for most people to stiff you face to face. Bring a work authorization form so if you don't get money you get a signature.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
so is she saying she is not going to pay??? or not saying anything, if so here is some advice. let this serve as a few lessons learned, hopefully not costly ones. here is what needs to be learned out of this. I have lost sleep many nights hoping to not get screwed when the insurance company writes the check to the customer.

1) always get a signed authorization, even though you still have a contract with this customer without one, having one provides added benefit to you, in that if you have to take action to collect, your authorization should provide that the customer be responsible for legal fees. you are unlikely to get them without this provision. it will also spell out other things that you want, in mine I am adding that there will be a minimum of $500 fee if legal proceedings are brought to collect.

2)be in contact with the adjuster, make sure he has a copy of your authorization that also assigns you to be direct paid, it doesn't always help but sometimes they will send you a check direct or at least put your name on the check with the customers. tell them you expect to be paid direct and you are providing all the documentation to do so, also include your tax ID # always with this stuff, many times I would have been direct paid if I had mearly provided this. all this is even more important because people don't have the equity in their homes they used to, equity in a home means one way or the other you will get paid, nowadays the customer may have negative equity.

3) a signed completion form is very helpful as well, again send this to the adjuster, it will further your chances of direct pay. it will also be helpful if the customer claims you broke something 3 weeks later and conveniently at the same time you are trying to collect, I am dealing with that right now.

4) make sure you are in contact with the adjuster, and know when and where they are sending payment to, when you know they have sent out payment you need to be on the phone telling the customer you know payment has been send out and they need to call and settle up as soon as they get the check, keep calling in the days to come, the customer needs to know you are serious about getting paid, if they still claim to not have the check after a week, tell the customer to have the adjuster cancel the check and issue a new one. you need to have a response for every possible excuse that can be given. bottom line you want that check in the customers hands the least possible time, the longer they have it the more comfortable they are about NOT paying

now as to what you do now,

1) this is a long shot, call the adjuster explain whats happened, maybe just maybe there is still time to cancel the check he wrote and issue another one, I have seen checks bounce after nearly 2 weeks, its the first call I would make. if its too late for this, the adjuster needs to call the customer and tell them he send payment and they need to pay you.

2) file a lein on their home right now!!!! in out our state there is a limited time to do it, 90 days after you last did work for them, lein forms are at office depot etc, fill them out and file with your county recorders office, in utah you also have 180 days to commence a law suit after you file, or the lein expires.

3) file a small claims suit, these are easy to file and will RATTLE their chain, cost around here is about $60 or so including having them served, this avoids having to pay an attorney a retainer, is cheap, still takes time and is a pain to file, that is why I am adding the $500 provision. most of the time filing this gets you paid, sometimes not, I have had to argue one case out of the 5 or so I have had to file, this one the customer disputed part of the bill, I won.

Farenheit251

Go to the legal section at office depot and spend 2 dollars on an official looking form entitled Intention to Place Lien. Fill in the info and tape to front door. 90% of the time that alone got them to call me and work things out.

Spurling

on her door step you may want to set a bottle filled with ice-tea and a rag hanging out of it .. next to it put a pack of matches .. this might get her attention .. JUST KIDDING!!

next time you should collect at the time of service by credit card and the homeowner will get reimbursed or bill the ins directly with the understanding the check will be made out to your company.

G

This was Farmers Insurance. Never had a problem like this before, but I don't do this that often. Everyone keeps talking about a work authorization form or contract. Where do you get these? I am not a writer and surely can't write a contract for water damage. I thought this was easy; instead it's a pain in the a$$.

I am going to small claims court and try to file a lien. But first I'm going to go over there tomorrow and try to discuss nicely. Depending on what she says will determine my actions.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
the frame work of my authorization came from the drieaz site, I added in that the customer understands we get all overhead and profit even on the work we didn't do. I am also going to add in the $500 minimum legal fee charge if litigation is needed. I took this to my attorney and he clarified a few things I had wrote on it, we made some changes to it, so your authorization needs to be made in consult with a lawyer.

dennypccc

If you decide to get into the restoration business what you need to do before you go sucking wet stuff is to get the proper paperwork that you need and make it a cement procedure to get it signed before you do any service. You can find the paper work you need and see your attorney to make sure it will stand up in trial. In the restoration business NOT getting paid is the least of the liability involved that you HAVE to be concerned with. IF THEY CAN SUE , THEY WILL

Oh and don't give the homeowner the stupid estimate, Work with the adjuster directly, Take control of the whole project.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom