Viscose content...

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Upholstery aint really my thing even if it's bombproof microfibre (I just don't like it)

But is there a magic ratio of fibre content that makes something wet cleanable vs dry clean only?

Just passed on a 70% viscose, 15% linen, 15% poly with no regrets

Just curious what ratios the collective will work with before passing?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Upholstery aint really my thing even if it's bombproof microfibre (I just don't like it)

But is there a magic ratio of fibre content that makes something wet cleanable vs dry clean only?

The ratio doesn't really matter. You're assuming the tag is correct. When you mix natural fibers with synthetic fibres they will react differently. You may end up with shrinkage or pile distortion. Best to clean based on the weakest fibre.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I always clean based on the weakest fibre but don't like going over 40% viscose
Even if you have less viscose it can be damaged. Often the viscose will be highlights with the majority of the fabric being something else. Viscose looks nice and it's very soft like silk. May appear as flowers or other trim. The problem is that just getting it wet may cause it to pull away from the main fabric or wrinkle up or otherwise distort. In my opinion, any amount of viscose requires a signed waiver.

Brian H

Name
Brian H

You didn't mention the condition of the furniture. Every fabric, regardless of the fiber content, is "cleanable". If it's lightly soiled, a thorough vacuuming, a little dry cleaning solvent, and toweling might be all it needs. If it's heavily soiled, you just need to manage the expectations. You can't take Damon's pick-up truck to the car wash and expect it to look showroom new when it's done.

It's been my experience that when we pass on any type of cleaning, the customer will call someone else. We have been on both sides of that, both passing on the job and being the 2nd cleaner in. If you pass on it and someone else does an "okay" job, chances are pretty good that they will be using that other cleaner for all their cleaning from that point on.

Mikey P

Administrator
You didn't mention the condition of the furniture. Every fabric, regardless of the fiber content, is "cleanable". If it's lightly soiled, a thorough vacuuming, a little dry cleaning solvent, and toweling might be all it needs. If it's heavily soiled, you just need to manage the expectations. You can't take Damon's pick-up truck to the car wash and expect it to look showroom new when it's done.

It's been my experience that when we pass on any type of cleaning, the customer will call someone else. We have been on both sides of that, both passing on the job and being the 2nd cleaner in. If you pass on it and someone else does an "okay" job, chances are pretty good that they will be using that other cleaner for all their cleaning from that point on.

I watched your bleach stain video today.

Is Homie's beard viscose? Looks so soft and inviting...

Brian H

Name
Brian H
His beard gives him the appearance of a wise chemist. Customers love him. When I hired him as a carpet cleaning assistant 25 years ago, he only had a goatee, but grew it out when we switched him over to specialty stain removal. One of the best hires I ever made. :biggrin:

As a side note, he married me. He was the officiant when I got married 6 years ago.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott

Just protect yourself in writing before you do it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom