VLM and Protector

Name
Swani
I know encapsulation is a form of protector but is there anything you hard-core VLM'ers use to add protection for organic spills like Solvent Sealers, or is adding another product to the carpet going to cause resoiling?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Encapsulant is shampoo with Teflon added. Adding more Teflon won't help. Adding other kinds of protectant to the Teflon already in the encapsulant may result in you buying the carpet.

Not just resoiling, rapid resoiling that you won't be able to fix.

Name
Swani
Encapsulant is shampoo with Teflon added. Adding more Teflon won't help. Adding other kinds of protectant to the Teflon already in the encapsulant may result in you buying the carpet.

Not just resoiling, rapid resoiling that you won't be able to fix.
Thanks, that's kinda was what I suspected. Thanks for clearing that up.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Doesn't "encapsulate" anything. That's just a marketing term.Not enough polymer in a RTU solution and spread out to do anything

In reality all it just leaves a dry residue.

Tom Forsythe

Maxim is known primarily for its stain resistance through the use of an anionic acid dye resistor. This acid dye resistor is added to our Encapuclean DS with Maxim. Acid dye resistors only provide stain resistance for nylon and wool fibers since it fills open dye sites. They also provide a low level of soil resistance especially when compared to the typical polymer in encapsulated products.

Fluorochemicals like the original "Teflon" provide surface water and oil repellency and are cationic in nature. The fluorochemical in Maxim is anionic and provides oil repellency at the fiber and not the surface. We have never looked to add this to an encapsulate formula. The difference in the ionic charge prevents any "Teflon" type fluorochemical from being formulated with any of the typical anionic encapsulants.

Acid dye resistors are removed from carpet more readily through extraction than friction. Fluorochemicals are removed more readily from carpet by friction than extraction. This characteristic enables an acid dye resistor to have more impact with an encapsulating formula than a fluorochemical. The level of acid dye resistor in Encapuclean DS with Maxim is about 1/6 of the amount of one application of Maxim Advanced protector. This amount will help maintain the level of stain resistance in nylon and wool carpet throughout the encapsulation phase of maintenance. When extraction is completed another application of Maxim Advanced will be necessary. We also have Maxim SOS which is a combination of two types of acid dye resistors at less cost.

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Just to be clear. There are a number of fluoro based products that have been formulated to work in tandem with encapsulation . In fact, one of the raw ingredient manufacturers we work with deals extensively in this type of "boutique" fluoro chemistry.

Mikey P

Administrator
Just to be clear. There are a number of fluoro based products that have been formulated to work in tandem with encapsulation . In fact, one of the raw ingredient manufacturers we work with deals extensively in this type of "boutique" fluoro chemistry.
Rick how do you respond to Bryan's claim of Encap being "just" a shampoo with teflon added?

my wife and I have "encap'd our home carpets enough times since 2000 to see the gradual release ('it) benefits of the magical mythical polyCorn.

Tom Forsythe

Just to be clear there are only 4 or 5 manufacturers (Dupont left the market in the last couple of years) of fluorochemicals in the world. The manufacturer we use has only one anionic water-based fluoro-protector (I just checked on their website) for soft surfaces. However, there are many anionic fluoro- surfactants for soft surfaces, (I just counted 8 on their website), which have many functions ( we use one which we add to many formulas), but we never make claims about being a protector in any way. The world of fluoro chemicals is a small world and got a lot smaller when Dupont left.

The amount matters and any added to a cleaning product will be a fraction of original protectors. Acid dye resistors work at a much lower percentage and lower cost than fluorochemical protectors. A small amount of fluorochemical does not go as far as an acid dye resistor. Fluorochemical protectors are diluted at 1 to 4. Most encapsulants dilute at 1 to 32. This tells you that it is 8 times weaker at the same level, which it would not be. Dilutions, prices and math demonstrate that the amount of fluorochemical is a fraction of what the percentage is in a well developed fluorochemical.

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
What Tom said is correct. Speaking for our products, the fluorochemical in our detergents is not at a level that will provide a high degree of protection. That is why we also offer a compatible secondary standalone fluorochemical protector - Soileze.

So why do we add fluoro based componenets to our detergents? After all, these items are costly! Quite simply, because fluouochemicals achieve more than simply providing protection. The fluoro based raw ingredients that we employ also adds to the detergency and increases the polymer's ability to release from the fiber. This synergy between encap polymer and fluoro based components contributes to Releasit's performance.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
What Tom said is correct. Speaking for our products, the fluorochemical in our detergents is not at a level that will provide a high degree of protection. That is why we also offer a compatible secondary standalone fluorochemical protector - Soileze.

So why do we add fluoro based componenets to our detergents? After all, these items are costly! Quite simply, because fluouochemicals achieve more than simply providing protection. The fluoro based raw ingredients that we employ also adds to the detergency and increases the polymer's ability to release from the fiber. This synergy between encap polymer and fluoro based components contributes to Releasit's performance.
Sounds good to me. Just got my order of pads, encap here we come.

Attachments

• IMG_20200918_141601.jpg
    IMG_20200918_141601.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 154
Reactions: Mikey P

randy

Name
Randy

Tom Forsythe thanks so much for taking the time to walk us through that. Very interesting and appreciated.​

I have long wondered why more manufacturers of encap cleaners don't include acid dye resisters in the mix.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
This whole LBGTVLM movement has me worried about our country.
I read their forums from time to time and just wonder how in the hell do they think? Their Bible and their whole belief is what is written on the side of a $50 plus gallon of "Miracle" juice.

And I shudder to think they will adopt a large black and white sign to put on their smart cars or dodge caravans. And that sign is "BSM"

BLACK SOCKS MATTER

COMMUNIST PIGS!

• Haha
Reactions: CaffClean

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom