Vortex and belts question

Mikey P

Administrator
For those of you who have changed out your VAT belts, did you need to realign your pulleys?

I didn't have time to check mine today after putting on my new belts.

Ran fine all day but I'm wondering...

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
nope I have change mine and 2 others

Just loosen tension pulley slide on/slide off (harder then it sounds) and put the tension back on the pulley and run like hell............

the blower/pto and everything that is hooked to it are bolted on and are pretty ridged if something got knocked out of alignment...............the belts are the least of the problem..

the one to watch is the cat belt.............make sure that you tighten it on the slider as even as possible so the belt sits flat into the grove.
\
and check the back assward shaft bolt while you got it off.........

The Wizard

Could someone please post a step by step instructions of how to change the belts out on a Vortex. Pictures along with a description would be a bonus.

Thanks

The Wizard.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
loosen the 2 bolts on the idler pulley

put all 3 belts on the blower pulley and slide them down the opening to the PTO shaft

craw under the truck ...........

take the inside belt and work it around the pto pulley until it seats its self into the first grove...... keep doing this until it is all the way seated into the first (front) grove then take the second (middle) belt and do the same thing and then the last (outside) belt

once all 3 belts are seated take a bar and put tension back on the idler pulley until you can push approx 3/4 slack in belt.......tighten down both bolts on idler..........

tips that will help you........................

save yourself a lot of trouble and if the old ones are not broke off cut them off

once they are on.......re check them after about 10 hours of machine time

they are already tight and I promise you they will stretch and start to make a hell of a squeal..........

the advice above about the cat belt and ass backwards shaft bolt

keep a few bandages on hand because you WILL pinch yourself on the pulley and bleed a little

learn to cuss because it helps relieve the pressure of the bleeding..........

Mikey P

Administrator
Jim

We did it with out loosening the tension pulley.

Just used a pry bar to get the belts up and over each channel.
I was in the truck, Chimps was on his back.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
wow some one must have been tugging
it it tight with out the tension pulley.........

Name
Lee Stockwell
Forcing the belt over the pulley with a pry bar definitely will shorten the life of the belts, and play havoc with a "matched set" of belts wearing and pulling evenly.

A newbie "mechanic" practice.

cant they just roll on with the chimp holding while on his back.

Mikey P

Administrator
Lee Stockwell said:
Forcing the belt over the pulley with a pry bar definitely will shorten the life of the belts, and play havoc with a "matched set" of belts wearing and pulling evenly.

A newbie "mechanic" practice.

Yeah, now you tell me.

I'm getting a screeching lower rev surprise about once a day.

At first I thought it was grease from the blower falling on the pulley or belt. But either I messed up the blower belts or my Cat belts are too loose or too tight.

The V manual is not so great at making it clear as to how much slack there should be in either set.

Lee?

Name
Lee Stockwell
The Cat pump belt will likely be the most forgiving unless you've got the pressure turned way up at low rpm.

One or more of your drive belts may have a "hernia" from overstretched or torn lateral cords. Not fatal, but annoying when it still "looks new".

Why is the belt tensioner not being loosened for belt application? I've noticed several bypassing that step, so I wonder if it's a pita design?

Make sure your blower is flushed out, a dirty blower will drag...even on a Bane.

For lack of a better spec, the general practice is to make sure there is less than 1/2" deflection when you press a belt midway between the pulleys. (I'm not quite satisfied with that answer either).

Your "loosest" belt will squeal first, so until it's replaced just run them all a little tighter than usual. Persistent slipping will generate heat that will attack all the belts on that pulley.

G

As the belts heat up if they are loose. They will start to spin on the pulley at the most in opportune time. Either Tighten them or put on a new set.

Mikey P

Administrator
I always thought that the tensioner was spring loaded.

When I couldn't budge it I whipped out the pry bar instead of a wrench.

Lesson learned.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom