vortex the worst financial decision you can make

steve g

Name
steve garrett
with the problems I have had with my pickup truck that pulls a trailer its got me thinking is there any other cost effective way of operating a business vehicle. I have been looking at total costs, depreciation, fuel, repairs etc and figuring exactly what it is costing me to operate. I would hope most of us are smart enough not to get mad when someone proves we are wasting money. I know I sure would not be. the other thing that provoked this was the ron beatty thread, this guy thinks the vortexs are making him rich. in the end it all comes down to how much money you put in your pocket, I have a wife that likes to spend money, and I have expensive hobbies, I would rather feed those than have a powerful machine that the people that actually know me have no clue how much of a badass I am. there are certain things that don't make you money directly or at all. I work from my home, I could rent a commercial location, but that would cost me money and not bring business back to me to pay for it, I put a vortex unit in the same catagory. oh but what about the people who come running out of their homes with wet crotches begging to have a vortex clean their home, I call bullshit on that, besides A SLIDE IN CAN BE INSTALLED IN THE SAME BOX TRUCK THE VORTEX USES. it can have the exact same wrap put on it, you get the drift, ok on to the numbers.

example one, vortex unit, I am figuring you plan on keeping your machine for 6 years, in that time you will drive 150,000 miles and run the machine 5000hrs,

purchase price-100k

truck fuel 12mpg 12,500 gals @3.25/gal= 40,625

truck maintenance 2k

truck repairs 4000

machine repairs, 2k this is for hoses and little things etc, I am figuring the same amount for a slide in

tires, you have six with the vortexs 3 sets at 175/tire $3150

machine fuel, 5000 hrs 2gals/hr is 10000 gals @3.25/gal is $32500

depreciation, lets say with a truck with 150k on it and a machine with 5k on it, you can sell it for 15k at the end of 6 years, that is 85k in depreciation

depreciation 85k

total cost for 6 years 169,275 or 28212.5/year good hell that is alot of money to pay for your equipment before you ever see a damn dime!!!!!!!!!

broken out per mile and per hour on the machine

split the residual value of the truck and the truck mount for simplicity sake at the end of 6 years, so in this case the truck is worth 7,500 and the machine is worth 7,500 add the cost of the machine and truck related expenses separately. figure you spend 35k on the truck and box, so 65k would be what the pure machine would cost, who could deny a blower, HX, pump and tanks and wiring costing 65k isn't way over priced ?!?!?!

truck
fuel 40,625
repairs and maint, 6k
tires $3150
depreciation 35k new 7.5 residual value = net depreciation of 27.5k

total cost to get to 150k .52 cents/mile

vortex machine
fuel 32.5k
repairs and maint 2k
cost new deducting the cost of the truck is 65k the machine is worth $7500 after 6 years, net depreciation 57,500

total cost to get to 5000 hours $18.40/ machine hour!!!!!!!! holy good mother of god.

example 2
ok lets figure an example with an extended one ton van with a large slide in, 25k for the van 25k for the truckmount its simple and can be done easily for that price. if you want the wet crotch customers do it up in a box truck for 10 grand more, as you will see its not the vehicle that is killing the profits.

van fuel, 12mpg, 12,500 gals at 3.00/gal=37.5k in gas to get to 150k miles, I figured gasoline cheaper, because it is and has been about .25/gal or more cheaper for the last few years.

maintenance 1200 a gas engine has cheaper oil changes

van repairs, 4k

tires, you have 4 tires to buy instead of 6, $2100

machine fuel, 5000 hrs @1.5 gals/hr =22.5k

at the end of 6 years and 150k miles and 5000 machine hours you have a residual value of 7k 3500 for the van and 3500 for the truckmout.

so that is 43000, in net depreciation

total cost= 110,300 or $18383/year

separately

truck

fuel 37,500
repairs and maint, 5200
tires, 2100
paid 25k for the van its now worth 3500, so that is 21,500 in net depreciation

total cost to get to 150k miles=.44 cents/mile

large slide in

fuel 22.5k
repairs 2k
paid 25k for the machine its not worth 3500 after 6 years net depreciation 21.5k

cost/machine hour is $9.20/machine hour

summary
next time you see or hear a vortex owner start laughing, because they are wasting an obscene amount of money, it it costing more than double the to operate a vortex when its all said and done, they are having to fork over nearly 30 grand a year before they ever see any profit and that is just on machine costs, lets not forget there is insurance and all the other expenses, unless that unit is running well over 100k in volume the vortex owner would be better off just getting a 9-5 job making 50k/year. after 6 years the owner of the slide in will put an extra 60 grand in his pocket. there is also another hidden cost and that is the finance charges and their difference if you finance this deal, plan on it costing another 4 grand more over 6 years over and above the van and slide in figures I didn't even figure those costs. if you say a van is too small I want to run a box truck, have at it, the problem is not the truck costing you so much money its the vortex machine you do have a little higher /mile cost with the box truck but its not the killer. in all this IMO the real way to save money is if you are a little mechanically inclined and can work on the machine a little and don't mind buying a used machine, the point is there are lots of ways to get the costs down even more from the van and slide in numbers I posted. I think all of us would be better served taking a hard look at just what are our real expenses, not best case scenerio but as actual as they can be figured. after all its profit that is the reason we all do what we do.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Re: vortex the dumbest financial decision you can make

i too am getting rich! :mrgreen: that is alot to read only made it a quarter of the way down and started to fall asleep. :lol:

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty

Steve, How about filling out your profile so we can see if there is any experience behind your ranting. By the way, I built up to my present equipment over a 30 year period, when i bought the Vortex's I traded up.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

It's not the machine that's made Ron successful, it's Ron that's made him successful.

He had a good business before he purchased the Vortex's, they just made it easier for him to produce a superior product.

If you clean a lot of commercial and can run a lot of dual wands the Vortex is an awesome weapon.

Ron knows what he's doing, he been around the block. :wink:

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik

Greg Crowley said:
a little penis envy Steve

There's somthing going on. All that bullshit ranting. :roll: 150,000 miles in 5 years. I have 60,000 on the 2005 and 4,800 hrs. Not all of us use the work trucks as our only transportation. !gotcha!

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik

Doc Holliday said:
It's not the machine that's made Ron successful, it's Ron that's made him successful.

He had a good business before he purchased the Vortex's, they just made it easier for him to produce a superior product.

If you clean a lot of commercial and can run a lot of dual wands the Vortex is an awesome weapon.

Richard is one of the smartest on the boards IMO. 8)

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley

Erik you need to talk to more people. If you ever see Chavez write something intelligent it is his brother Dan on Richards computer:)

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik

I've met him, I see him as a strait shooter.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow

The resale value also seemed way off- I sell 5-6 year old Butlers for over 20k, I would assume a used V would sell for 35-50. lots of probs with the math and I am not a proponent of a V.

RickL

I really can't understand why the mention of a Vortex just get some people so wound up that they have to go of on tirades about it.
In the process telling people how they are doing poorly in their business or like the above post spending hours trying to show everybody how nonsensical it is to own one.
Shawn is sitting there laughing cause all this talk about the Vortex gets people looking and once they see it most want it.
When Mike was making all those Vortex Posts on the Blue Board and ICS back in the day I knew more people who were looking at one that shouldn't have been then I could believe. I have no idea (and I'm not gonna do the research) but I imagine most any larger TM in the same truck with all the same bells and whistles installed by the manf will probably be up there in cost
also.
So now steve g is officially a "Shawn shill" kinda rolls of the tongue.

BTW Ron nice looking trucks and congrats on the job!!

Ryan

Ken Snow said:
The resale value also seemed way off- I sell 5-6 year old Butlers for over 20k, I would assume a used V would sell for 35-50. lots of probs with the math and I am not a proponent of a V.

Hows that for experience Ron? Ken probably grosses more in a month then you do in a year.

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty

Ryan, Ken's business is multi-generational that business was around long before Ken was. I started mine from nothing. You give me the years he has been around it could be done.

steve g

Name
steve garrett

Ken Snow said:

well ken here is the difference, bulter= business that has been in business for years, they are stable, they don't run their operation from a van down by the river. they have parts for older machines, they answer the phone, they have been proven simple and reliable, you get the drift. vortex= sold by a guy that didn't really design or build the machine, rather told the manufacturer of the day what he wanted the machine to do. no parts for older machines, no support, no one answers the phone. machines were built by several different manufacturers, all of them hate shawn when they were done with him. new diesel COE trucks have special emissions standards that require special treatment of the exhuast gas, regeneration urea injection etc. I am not sure you can even install a vortex into any 2010 or newer truck because of this. I suppose you could use a kero burner, but then you have to interface the vortex machine to the electronics of the truck, with all new trucks being throttle by wire, good luck,

with that said all of those things play a great deal in what the REAL resale value of a 6 year old vortex machine is with 150k on the truck and 5k on the machine. I just don't see how its going to be any more than 15 grand in resale value. maybe we should try to find some ebay examples, it doesn't matter because say its even 25k in resale, my point still rings loud and clear.

a real man can admit his mistakes and say yeah I got hosed or yeah I sure as hell will not do that next time. I have made some terrible mistakes over the years, I call it stupid tax. my dodge diesel truck is a steaming pile of dog shit, yeah I can say that, lesson learned.

25k a year IMO is probably about the average mileage a guy who is running his machine full time is going to put on it, when I was a cleaner in texas we ran about 25k on miles a year and about 900 hours a year on the machines. this jives perfectly with my example, besides like I said above its NOT THE TRUCK thats killing the profits. its a machine that is costing nearly 3 times more than a large slide in machine.

ron, I will fill out my profile, I had it filled out someone erased a bunch of stuff a while back and I didn't notice it. but I have been a founding member of mikey's board from the beginning I bet I was one of the first 10 or 20 people to join, to question who I am or whatever is pretty ludicrous.

ken snow, I am surprised to see you jumping on the vortex band wagon, as large as your company is I would think even you could learn something from the cost per mile and cost per machine hour numbers I posted and try to plug those into your own business. it sounds like you have a good forumula for that with the butlers, but did you know that or just luck into it.

use whatever machine floats your boat, but know there might be a more cost effective way of doing it. that is my point, you should be thanking me for bringing this stuff to light, so you do have an option to make more money.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

Come on Steve...give these guys a break will ya?

You know damn well if you own a V that you can run your hoses from your house to the customers and never have to put mile 1 on the truck.
AND it only takes 10 seconds to clean 1000 square feet of carpet so you really don't put any hours on it.

You should know that by now. :roll:

Disclosure: I didn't read all of Steve's first post or hardly the rest...I'm just sayin. :mrgreen:

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink

stick with being an internet whore, your comedy routine is worse than crowley's. :shock: :mrgreen:

rick imby

Name
Rick
Tell me that Erik's 5 year old Vortex with 60,000 miles and 5,000 hours is for sale for $15,000 and you would have a bidding war to get it.

Eric your business model cannot possibly work. Let me help you out of your quagmire. $15,000 all in cash?

Let's beat up on Ken Snow's model too. Buying those Expensive Butler units at 5 or so per year and then only charging $100 for 5 rooms. The guy has to be an idiot and will be out of business in a minute. I can build an argument with numbers to support that also.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
rick imby said:
T. I can build an argument with numbers to support that also.

do it then, if I read your profile correctly it says you are not a carpet cleaner or a restorer,

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
This is what you need Sweeney! :wink:

It's just missing a disco ball!

daynight5-2-1-1.jpg

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug

Steven Hoodlebrink said:
stick with being an internet whore, your comedy routine is worse than crowley's. :shock: :mrgreen:

badda bump bump

thank you .....hoods will be here all night

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
stick with being an internet whore, your comedy routine is worse than crowley's.
from a guy who has never seen me command a stage

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

Pay attention, Girls.
this bares repeating from the second smartest guy on the board..... :mrgreen:

Doc Holliday said:

egg-zaccally

..L.T.A.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Steven Hoodlebrink said:
[quote="Doc Holliday":q309upox]
daynight5-2-1-1.jpg

:roll: :roll: :roll:[/quote:q309upox]

"The World's best TM EVER"

:roll: :roll: :roll:

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
To whom it may concern: My post the other day was just to show what can be done when you have the right people first of all, then the right equipment for the job. I never said that the Vortex unit are for everybody or that every new carpet cleaner should run out, and BUY TWO of them. Starting in 1976 we bought two new Hydra Master S Series units with Ford vans. In the summer the units would burn the points or vapor lock, we put up with them until 1980 when we bought our first Butler's. The Butler's would not create enough heat because the thermostat was in the engine block, so they sent us the thermostat housing that went in the radiator hose, that fixed the heat issue. The Butlers were the most reliable units we ran, I bought six new ones including the box truck I had custom built by them. I reached a point where I wanted to work all day without stopping to fill or empty. I thought I had it with the cube, but it would not carry the weight legally. The only reason I moved to Vortex was to get the 14,500 GVW and maintain the power take off style equipment. The Vortex's meet my needs at the present time, only time will tell what my next trucks will be, it will depend on what the manufacturers build in the future. I was not attacking anyone, just saying what works for me. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom