Wand Flow Rates

Sonrise1

Name
Jerry
I need you all to help me understand "flow" as it relates to carpet wands. I understand that higher flow results in more water, but how much. When you say "my wand is 9 flow" what do you mean?

FyreLyter

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Dillon
Correct me if I am wrong but the numerical value of what flow you are running is based off how many gallons per minute will flow out of a given orifice at (I think this is right) 4000psi.

Your jets will have each there own flow rates and then you combine them to make up your ending flow number.

when we say 9 flow however it does not fully correlate to 9 gallons per minute truly coming from the wand since we do not run our pressure at 4000 psi.

FyreLyter

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Dillon
I like you

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Correct me if I am wrong but the numerical value of what flow you are running is based off how many gallons per minute will flow out of a given orifice at (I think this is right) 4000psi.

correct, but believe the psi/flow rate calc used by jet manufactures is at 40psi
If I recall without googling, an 01 jet flows 1 tenth GPM @ 40psi

but not sure if it's lineal ....cause I don't "think" an 01 jet flows 10gpm @ 4000psi

..L.T.A.

Reactions: FyreLyter

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Don’t listen to those meatheads above. Just follow the chart to the specs on your water pump on how much gpm it can put out

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I need you all to help me understand "flow" as it relates to carpet wands. I understand that higher flow results in more water, but how much. When you say "my wand is 9 flow" what do you mean?
Can you tell use what machine you’re using on that wand?

FredC

Village Idiot

(corrected for friction loss by Dan G)
ChartFlow.jpg

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
We refer to flow as it relates to the size of jets you have on the wand. 3-11003 jets will give you a 9 flow. 2-11003 jets will give you a 6 flow and so on. Has nothing to do with GPM, it's just the size of the jet or jets.

Reactions: steve_64

FredC

Village Idiot
We refer to flow as it relates to the size of jets you have on the wand. 3-11003 jets will give you a 9 flow. 2-11003 jets will give you a 6 flow and so on. Has nothing to do with GPM, it's just the size of the jet or jets.
I guess in the sense that we refer to it......meaning not usually having any idea how much....or at any standard pressure

but that last # in the jet size it what it will flow in gpm @ 40 psi. Each of those 1103 jet would produce .3gpm at 40 psi (not particularly useful info for our application)

increasing with psi.............as per chart above

Last edited:

steve_64

Coming from the machining industry I agree with Ron.

A 11003 is a .030 opening. The 110 is the angle. You can't get a .030 tip cleaner in .015 opening. Different pumps will produce different flow rates at equal psi. At least in my experience.

Think of using an electric sprayer compared to your truckmount. The smaller the pump the less water you get through the same orifice.

It's about the back pressure.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Coming from the machining industry I agree with Ron.

A 11003 is a .030 opening. The 110 is the angle. You can't get a .030 tip cleaner in .015 opening. Different pumps will produce different flow rates at equal psi. At least in my experience.

Think of using an electric sprayer compared to your truckmount. The smaller the pump the less water you get through the same orifice.

It's about the back pressure.

1580254345290.png

..L.T.A.

Reactions: steve_64
Name
Jeff T
To really bring things into perspective, get a 5 gallon bucket.
Mark off in 1 gallon increments.
Get a stop watch.
Set up as you would to clean.
Trigger wand into bucket, start the timer.
Simple.
Then YOU know EXACTLY what you are cleaning at....
Forget the friggin charts, use a bucket.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom