Wand Glides and their effect on our industry

Mikey P

Administrator
What has it been, 16 years or so since Ken Harris, Lisa and Greenie brought the round teflon glide to the industry?

How many cleaners do we have now that have never used a glideless wand?

Glides have not only made it so that our bodies last longer but equally, if not more important, they made the industry as a whole "better", wouldn't you agree?

Cleaner carpets, drier carpets, happier cleaners and happier customers. Happier customers indeed, kinda amazing that all this happened without the general public ever realizing what was going on. I can still recall those first few weeks of using a glide and pointing out to my customers the white thing down there and what it was doing, the "yeah sure Mike, that sounds great" still rings in my ears..lol.. Little did they know...
Don't forget all those little fringe benefits such as less damage to base boards, transition areas, furniture etc, all thanks to a round stick of virgin Teflon.

Some may want to argue that a wand without a Glide cleans better and quicker, quicker until you're done with a sub standard job, maybe, but certainly not better. Think about it, Glides essentially FORCE you to clean according to the standards, both in the IICRC sense and in the logical and moral sense as well.

Glides force you to pre-vacuum, they force you to apply more and better pre-spray, Glides also force you to pre-scrub too, why? because the glide took away the agitation that cleaners for over 40 years relied on to "wandscrub" the soil loose. Scrubbing with your wand over wets carpet if you're a newer cleaner and have never tried it on a daily basis..

We can go into and argue over increased air velocity theories and all that but that's really neither here nor there. The cumulative results of pre vacuuming, pre spraying, dwell time and or pre scrubbing, followed by a slow methodical Glided wand rinse and (most importantly) DRY STROKES, is what the Glide has forced us into including into a process that for 90% off all pile carpet, is the most effective way to remove soil.
The other 10 percent will need rotary extraction which can also benefit from Teflon but we wont go there today.

If you cleaned carpet before the revolution, how have Glides changed your life, business and cleaning results?
If you're new to the game and have had the fortunate blessing of not knowing any better, go clean a room or with an old school wand and share your thoughts..

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
X100

Let me add this:

Glides have allowed late middle aged and senior cleaners to continue cleaning carpet.

In a perfect world, cleaning businesses would grow to where young employees would do the work while the older founder would sit back and run the place, then when "retirement age" hit, they would sell the business for a bundle and enjoy wealth in their golden years.

But that world does not exist for the vast majority of cleaners.

The real world has cleaners still pushing a wand in their 60s, 70s, and with a few guys I know...their 80s.

That would be impossible without glides.

Perhaps it would force cleaners to make other decisions if cleaning got to be just too hard, but the fact is glides allow people to have productive business lives and maintain a nice income where otherwise they would be living off of social security.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I remember our first glides in the family. I can even remember the first job and location using it.

Thought this is way too easy... Then really started to see benefits from them.

I keep telling my son in law and young cleaners when we might be joking around "keep up the wise cracks suckers and I will take off the glides and show what it was really like in my younger days of cleaning"!

They don't know how good they have it really with a lot of today's cleaning tools and carpet cleaning units... Even chemistry changes!

It would be really strange not having glides after all this time

Lint Basket

Name
Scott Mckay
2003 was the year I purchased my first Vortex. I had to put down my 2” prochem titanium wand and go back to the cheaply 1.5” wand just so I could push it.

It wasn’t even l year later and Greenie was pushing his new glides in Vegas. I remember my first time running my Titanium with the glide. It was a commercial job that I still do to this day. Life changing, I always remember that day every time I clean that job.

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
I do remember my first white line on the carpet, at the time I was forced to shut down our construction company due to the economy.
I started my cc with what money I had saved up. Well all the years of doing Drywall and Stucco I had developed a very very painful inner elbow, very very painful.
I was up at my distributor in Oregon and I was telling him about my pain, it was so funny because at the time there was the huge court/lawsuit going on, but He said come in my back room and there they were two small boxes of white teflon.
I bought one for my westpac wand and I have never went glideless ever again. My elbow is 95%, I am getting older and so you just can't stop the aging process and all pain that comes with it.
The glide I would say for a fact has helped me personally in my daily cc company.

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
Just the other day I had a customer call me and say, " Dude you Devastator wand sent me back in time when we didn't have glides, I can't believe how aggressive this wand is even with a glide....
He ordered a hole glide, which he prefers, he was happy to get it on the wand.

Mikey P

Administrator
2003 was the year I purchased my first Vortex. I had to put down my 2” prochem titanium wand and go back to the cheaply 1.5” wand just so I could push it.

It wasn’t even l year later and Greenie was pushing his new glides in Vegas. I remember my first time running my Titanium with the glide. It was a commercial job that I still do to this day. Life changing, I always remember that day every time I clean that job.

Early Vortex users all HAD to rely on RX20's to use that 6008 blower. I'm not sure if the VAT phenom would have ever happened if not for Greenie

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
I attended the IICRC carpet cleaning class with Lisa and Greenie in 2004. Greenie showed me some white plastic stick he had been whittling on and I didn't fully understand its function. I was running an RX20 at the time. I got one of the first Greenhorns and still use it occasionally.

Lisa has kept me supplied with Green Glides. Refuses to run my card. Must consider me an old pug.

Very grateful for Lisa and Greenie's immeasurable contribution to our industry.

Last edited:

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
These pieces of teflon are a great advancement in the industry is many ways, and the benefits are numerous. I think one of the most important benefits of a glide is still under used and overlooked today. When thinking of ergonomics, muscle development, wear and tear on our bodies... Most cleaners today even with glides are still 1 handed cleaners. We naturally push with our primary hand, because it's usually stronger and has better fine motor skills, and in the pre-glide days it was just too darn hard for most to push a wand well with their weaker hand.
Now, with the glide, we can fairly easily learn to use both hands to push, allowing less wear & tear on out primary side, more even muscle use and development, resulting in less aches and pains, better posture, and less repetitive motion injuries.
I just thought I would throw this idea out there for you to examine, and decide if your up to the challenge of learning to use both hands interchangeably

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
Glides have allowed late middle aged and senior cleaners to continue cleaning carpet.
When I was still thinking of coming back into this business; I went to a MF in Tampa 3 or 4 years ago, and one of the big factors was when I borrowed Chandler's brand new Devastator wand.
2 inch and hooked up to Mark's screaming and hot as hell Butler.
It was so unexpectedly easy to use.
I had always used the heavy stainless steel hydrahoe wands in the past.
Between the glide and the swivel, I knew if I had this wand I could do this job.
I actually put off my start up until the wand arrived here in Florida.
The combination of innovations has probably kept some of you fat guys and us older guys in the game.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
CRASH still has his gh...but the glide has worn off completely half way across ....unbelievable! And yes he is still using it that way.......he's afraid to call Lisa for some reason

Name
Jeff T
Am I the only one that thinks they are great....

BUT,

Why are they 5 times more expensive than they should be?

I mean c’mon, it’s A PIECE OF PLASTIC.....
It doesn’t have any moving parts....
MAYBE, 3-8$ in materials cost...

FredC

Village Idiot
Am I the only one that thinks they are great....

BUT,

Why are they 5 times more expensive than they should be?

I mean c’mon, it’s A PIECE OF PLASTIC.....
It doesn’t have any moving parts....
MAYBE, 3-8$ in materials cost...

but it isn't plastic. It is 1.25 inch virgin teflon rod that has to then be machined

not to mention be worthwhile for someone to produce

Name
Jeff T
Ok, next week I will go to my local plastics manufacturer, and I will report back the findings...
I’ll price out what a piece of stock, 12-14” piece will be, AND, I will also bring a glide with me, and find out what he can produce one for...
And yes, I will make sure it’s PTFE....(Teflon)....

FredC

Village Idiot
Ok, next week I will go to my local plastics manufacturer, and I will report back the findings...
I’ll price out what a piece of stock, 12-14” piece will be, AND, I will also bring a glide with me, and find out what he can produce one for...
remember virgin (or you get less than stellar product) and that each glide exceeds its stated dimensions when you are doing the math.

and don't stop at that point. How much to bring them to market and be profitable with all the varied wands/sizes/types/shipping/inventory

Reactions: rwcarpet

FredC

Village Idiot
I just find it hard to believe that a glide is ‘worth’
159 bucks.... that’s what I paid for one....
While I find it a little expensive myself the fact is that really is a good value.

Why did you buy it?

and there are many other factors that come into play beyond material cost/machining

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom