wands w/enclosed jets

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I was thumbing through my magic wand catalog, and noticed a wand they have where the jets are enclosed, I was wondering if this actually makes much difference?? you know the wand with the cheesy looking black glides on it. Also are the glides taf is selling green glides??

hogjowl

Idiot™
I've got one of those wands you are talking about. It's called the Magic Glide Wand, I think. Mine is a 1.5 inch wand, so I only use it on those jobs where I can't use my Glided 2 inch wand, but I actually like using it. The ONLY reason I use my glided 2 inch wand is because it so drastically reduces my drying times. The 1.5 inch wand actually cleans better, and the enclosed head gives me more heat to the carpet.

If I had a 47 blower unit, I'd very likely put the Green Glided wand aside and go straight standard wand. It cleans better by allowing you to scrub with the wand, and it simplifies my cleaning steps by eliminating the vacuuming step.

Time is money.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I also have that "Butter cup" with enclosed jets.
I don't like the jets pointing straight down.

Any wand that isn't at least 16 inches wide like my castex is just.....a toy.

cmaster

Name
Paul Budnik
I have to agree with Sutley on this one. Better agitation than a glide, picks up more debris, and more heat to the carpet.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Steamway"s enclosed floodjet wand is the only one I have any personal experience with.
It's a flat out flush and heat to the fiber monster.

It's rare we use it anymore. Matter of fact, we haven't used it in years.
Because.....I don't like a straight wand and the floodjet can have some streaking/jet pile distortion issues on some carpet types.
It's also not the easiest wand to push either.

We used to use it in rat holes, but it's lost it's favor since glides made us lazy

..L.T.A.

Matt King

I don't care for the enclosed jets myself. They might give a little more heat to the carpet but I like to see what my jets are doing. I have the Buttercup wand and I've owned other wands with the enclosed jets. On my 'Chemspec' (or whoever made it for them) I cut the back heat shield off after a couple days. It drove me nuts.. The Buttercup is a PMF 2 jet. I bought it before the Greenglide revolution to help with my back problems but the thing locked down on the carpet so hard it made it worse. So then I bought the optional glide fot it but it wasn't much better. The thing just seals to the floor with any decent amount of vacuum. I think his Bigboy or Sniper wands with a GG would be a better choice.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Like Matt, I don't like enclosed jets.

I like to see the spray pattern when you need to get exactly to the edge of an area.

We tried the Magic Glide wand and although it slides well, the wide width makes it difficult to take long strokes. Any tilt of the head raises either the front or back edge.

A teflon glide, with it's round shape, allows a longer stroke and still maintains contact.

Larry Cobb
Mikey Board Supporting Member

brocksdad

I bought one on eBay and resold it shortly their after. I liked the idea but like others said I don't like the idea of not knowing if a jet is clogged

hogjowl

Idiot™
I cleaned two jobs this morning with mine. On the second one, I noticed some soil streaking. So, I checked and yep, one of my jets was clogged. No problem cleaning it, but now I wonder if my first job was not cleaned properly?

Greenie

I don't know why every single professional wand isn't sold with a few basic common sense items, like stainless jets, inline filter at the valve QD connection, You don't really need filters down on the jets themselves, a insulated sol. line for no burns, a hand grip sleeve that doesn't slide when the tube get warm, a trigger that doesn't cause carpel tunnel after 8 hours of use etc...

btw: there is no proof a shielded spray jet 3.5" off the carpet preserves any more heat than a jet 1.5" off the carpet with open spray. Sounds like a test for the candy thermometer at MikeyFest.

I'm in the same camp, gotta be able to lean to the side a bit and "see" my jets while actually cleaning.

Also the only way a 2 jet wand pointing straight down cleans better than a multi jet wand at an angle, is agitation in the form of impact or pressure of the spray hitting straight down and generally the jet orifice being larger.

Try this: turn your angled jet wand pressure up by 100-150 psi, it will clean better, but not risk over wetting due to the angle and the sheer as it pushes the suspended soil towards the vacuum slot.

The PMF wands (easy glide/magic glide) have the 2 jets too close together, they should be spaced further apart for a more even pattern, it's too heavy in the center and not heavy enough on the flanks.
Also the way the tube joins the head is a turbulent airflow nightmare.

Mikey P

Administrator
If I had a 47 blower unit, I'd very likely put the Green Glided wand aside and go straight standard wand. It cleans better by allowing you to scrub with the wand, and it simplifies my cleaning steps by eliminating the vacuuming step.

48 thousand posts and still clueless..

Greenie

With our old kunkled 47 and 2.5" hose, you wouldn't push that naked wand for 2 rooms.

ps: If a slot glide honestly doesn't pick up enough crap, it's probably time to bust out a turbo vac, and charge a nickle more. We're carpet cleaners, not sanitation engineers.

Bob Foster

So Greenie going with your idea of bumping up the psi with my Aquatech with I believe a 45 blower and a slotted glide on a PMF802. For the average residential pile carpet what psi would you suggest?

I usually have 2 to 3 wet both directions passes over a wand width for a total of 3 or 4 or sometimes more wand widths and then dry back about 2 passes per width.

I would appreciate your and everyone else's critique on my style too.

Mikey P

Administrator
I would bump those 2 jets up to 04's, run four to the door and do only one wet pass in all but the most grungiest of areas.

Bob Foster

So am I to understand that I am over-wetting the carpet?
Am I also over stroking the carpet?
When you talk about 4 to the door are you are talking about using 2 2" hoses and a y connector? (I sure wish I had an electric reel if that's the case.)

I can't be the only guy who has been reading about this here. It would be really appreciated if you can demonstrate to others and myself what the different results are at MFest.

I am running at 400 to 450 psi now with stock jets. My truck puts out 190 degrees maybe a bit more.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
"I usually have 2 to 3 wet both directions passes over a wand width for a total of 3 or 4 or sometimes more wand widths and then dry back about 2 passes per width.
I would appreciate your and everyone else's critique on my style too."

Bob, unless I missed it, you didn't mention what jets you have in your 802.
We used two wands of that style.
One with a pair of 03 flow jets and one with a pair of 02 flow for light soil res.

We ran in the 350psi range most of the time.
No need to "saw" away back and forth with a keyed wand stroke as your doing.
"IF" and this is a big if...IF your using quality pre-sprays in sufficient amounts and giving them plenty dwell and/or agitation.
You'll be ahead of the game by making SLOW keyed back stroke and a forward dry stroke.
On really heavy soil, we may give it another SLOW keyed back stroke.

We gobble up mucho trashed empties and have determined it's the speed of the keyed back stroke that provides the best flush/rinse removal of soil.

IF your using quality pre-sprays in sufficient quantities and dwell, all your doing with the chop stroke is making the carpet wetter, not cleaner.
You only need the chop stroke maybe 10% of the time

..L.T.A.

Bob Foster

Thanks for the input and please keep it coming. I am using a stock PMF 802 so what ever jets are on it is what I have - I'll take a look

I vac and rake and I believe I use very good prespray and an emulsifier rinse (most of the time). My strokes are slower and not faster scrubbing type strokes.

I used to work at 375 psi but when I started using glides I thought I would compensate for the greater distance of the jets from the carpet and bring the psi up a little to 425-450.

I have started to use more strokes primarily because of all the talk of lots of flushing everyone is talking about. I do find that in regular areas that I don't need as many strokes but for doorways and in front of couches etc that is where I would use the multiple strokes.

I used to do half a wand passes with one wet and then one dry and the move over and it was only recently I switched.

I am looking forward to Greenie pimping my ride from my wand to the CDS.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
"I have started to use more strokes primarily because of all the talk of lots of flushing everyone is talking about."

The speed (or lack of) in the keyed back stroke is where all the flush/rinse happens.
All a slow keyed forward stroke does is make the carpet wetter, not cleaner.

Slow the keyed back stroke down to a crawl and watch the magic happen.
You'll use lots more water, and may seem like the carpet will be wetter, but it will be quite the contrary as your vac slot is also over the fiber longer.
(as long as your not blasting mega psi like some jamokes who run a 2 jet at 500+psi)

My motto is, test for yourself on the trashed ones.

Personally, I never cared to blast at 450psi with our 2 jet wands.
What was interesting when we first got our Ti, at the same PSI, we generally cleaned at (300 to 350psi) the 2 jet wands cleaned better,
Bumping up psi a buck or buck and half made the difference on the TI and it became the better cleaning wand.

If your 802 is stock, it probably has a pair of 11002 jets.
Bump up to a pair of 03 flow and try that.
If your getting spray past the wings when you added the glide, get the 9503 jets.

Flow will yield better results than boosting psi.
S-L-O-W keyed back stroke will flush/rinse better than any other technique

meAt<<<wannabe gUru

..L.T.A.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Wands like the PMF802, AW29 and others which the jet angle is fixed, and pointing straight down can APPEAR to clean well, because they have a lot of impact at the fiber. The big problem with them is that they push the dirt and water deeper into the carpet where it is harder for the wand to recover it. You don't SEE it from your angle, but it is still there, just deeper in the pile. If you employ high pressures you can easily wet the backing of the carpet as well.

A wand with the jets set at the proper angle directs the water and dirt toward the lips of the wand, where it is much more easily recovered with less vacuum force. You can also safely employ higher pressure with less risk of wetting the backing of the carpet (the most common cause of over-wetting). A multi-jet wand will have less jet impact...but it will also have less heat loss due to distance from the carpet, and if the jets are angled correctly you can increase the flow and/or pressure to make up for the impact loss.

S

supaclean

meAt said:
Steamway"s enclosed floodjet wand is the only one I have any personal experience with.
It's a flat out flush and heat to the fiber monster.

It's rare we use it anymore. Matter of fact, we haven't used it in years.
Because.....I don't like a straight wand and the floodjet can have some streaking/jet pile distortion issues on some carpet types.
It's also not the easiest wand to push either.

We used to use it in rat holes, but it's lost it's favor since glides made us lazy

..L.T.A.

I still use the Steamway wand sometimes. I prefer it on the real McNasty stuff because it does flush the crap out, and I swear it seems like more heat is at the carpet. The steam definitely rolls off the carpet!

steve g

Name
steve garrett
Greenie said:
I don't know why every single professional wand isn't sold with a few basic common sense items, like stainless jets, inline filter at the valve QD connection, You don't really need filters down on the jets themselves, a insulated sol. line for no burns, a hand grip sleeve that doesn't slide when the tube get warm, a trigger that doesn't cause carpel tunnel after 8 hours of use etc...

btw: there is no proof a shielded spray jet 3.5" off the carpet preserves any more heat than a jet 1.5" off the carpet with open spray. Sounds like a test for the candy thermometer at MikeyFest.

I'm in the same camp, gotta be able to lean to the side a bit and "see" my jets while actually cleaning.

Also the only way a 2 jet wand pointing straight down cleans better than a multi jet wand at an angle, is agitation in the form of impact or pressure of the spray hitting straight down and generally the jet orifice being larger.

Try this: turn your angled jet wand pressure up by 100-150 psi, it will clean better, but not risk over wetting due to the angle and the sheer as it pushes the suspended soil towards the vacuum slot.

The PMF wands (easy glide/magic glide) have the 2 jets too close together, they should be spaced further apart for a more even pattern, it's too heavy in the center and not heavy enough on the flanks.
Also the way the tube joins the head is a turbulent airflow nightmare.

you mean a prochem wand?? I honestly don't see how so many people use tinker toys for wands, as for the jets being enclosed, if there is a a problem it usually very easy to see because there are streaks in the carpet

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom