Wanting to get into commercial.

Matthew

I've been in business almost 2 years, but I worked for a carpet cleaning company 4 years so I have some experience. Me and my wife work together and clean mostly residential. The money flow seems to be somewhat unpredictable. I've heard apartments are a great way to get into commercial accounts. Does anyone have any advice for getting apartment complexes?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
"Does anyone have any advice for getting apartment complexes?"

go knock on the managers door and ask if they're happy with their current CCer.
Maybe offer to clean one they intend to replace so you can "strut your stuff" and show them how you can save them money by restoring a salvage rag

Personally, I find it's easier getting "decent" money from the mid sized and smaller complexes
(120 units and under)

If you get your foot in the door and pick up an account, try and get the whole ball of wax.
Painting, misc repairs and general cleaning.
It can turn a $100 CCing job into a $1000+ job.

Once they see you're a quality, reliable type biz, you may have a shot at the whole thing

..L.T.A.

GRHeacock

Meat has it right.

Rental apartments and houses also need red stain removal, re-stretches, spot dye or complete dyeing, patching, and water damage cleanups.

The most money is in water damage cleanups. The most common thing is red stain removal.

Any body that is breathing can do routine cleaning, and at the lowest price. That's why many managers go for the lowest price for cleaning. There is not much profit in the routine cleaning.

As an example, an expert's bill can read- "Carpet cleaning $50.00. 4 red stain removals $10.00 each. Patch bedroom where dog ripped carpet $50.00. New door metal in kitchen doorway to dining room $25.00. Spot dye bleached area in living room $50.00"

And like that.

If all you can do is clean, you are missing the main profit of the job.

Gary

Matthew

Now, should I clean one of their salvage rags for free?

Also, I talked with the maintenance man where I live, and he told me that they can't switch carpet cleaners because they are tied up with the property management company. What does that mean?

GRHeacock

Matt- it means go talk to the property manager- or the owner if available.

Go see whoever it is that you write your rent check to.

In theory, you should have the edge because you are a tenant.

Gary

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Yes, a free demo can work "if" you're better than their current CCer.

As Gary mentioned, it's the prop manager you want to talk to.
Solicit other PMs as well.

PMs come in large, medium and small size.
Get hooked up with a good one and you'll be cleaning everything from stand alone houses to apt complexes.

..L.T.A.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
For most cleaners there are better ways to get into commercial than going to apartment complexes. This market segment is often interested in fat turn around times at the cheapest price available. Loyalty, reasonable prices, desire for quality work are rare.

If you will be making calls on potential clients, why not go to office buildings, libraries, doctors, lawyers and other commercial accounts that want high end service.

Calling face to face is the best way to get the business. But you will have to be persistent. You are not likely to get hired on your first visit. Many times you won't get past the gate-keeper.

Leave a clay looking flyer, a business card, offer to do a demo, etc. Soon you will have a few regular commercial accounts.

Scott Warrington

GRHeacock

The professional offices that rely on high end customers sometimes need a new cleaning company.

I am thinking of doctors, lawyers, architects, etc.

Any office that has the public come in, and wants to have a clean image.

Gary

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Gary's advice (as usual) is dead on re: upselling the job through additional services. Even so, apartments are a tough way to go. Trashed carpets, lots of long runs, usually want immediate service, low and long pay. no loyalty.

Scott's advice is pretty good. (Except for his choice of employer Scott is a sharp guy.) :) But let me tag on to his counsel:

1. Pick one morning per week.

2. Make a firm vow to leave 20 business cards in the course of this Dedicated Sales Morning.

3. Make up a route based on two things:
a) Call on the same types of businesses, i.e. all medical complexes one day. All real estate offices the next. After awhile you get good at this stuff.
b) Route your calls geographically for the most efficient driving.

4. Just do it and do it EVERY SINGLE WEEK on the same day. IF you can keep this schedule up (most won't) you will be amazed at your business in six months. I call it "working the Law of Large Numbers." Most carpet cleaners make a few sales calls, get discouraged, give up and head for the nearest bar to complain about how "bad the economy is".

NOTE: Never give a "one-shot" quote. Always give the account the option of a one time "restoration cleaning" and then a regular maintenance program. Your goal is to develop a commercial route of regular jobs where you have the key and most importantly, you can hire SOMEONE ELSE to do the work. (I hated night work.)

Steve Toburen CR
Director of Training and Don Juan of the Internet
Jon-Don's Strategies for Success

PS I am working on a major report on how to sell commercial work and develop a commercial route. In the meantime I have a short summary that is not bad. If you haven't written me before for my "Alabama style" Report on commercial work send me a request at stoburen@homefrontsuccess.com and I'll e-mail you a copy. I will also add your name to the waiting list for the Big One and send it to you when I am done. I think it will be pretty good. Free as usual ...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom