Was given a Bissell Big Green Deep Clean Machine (just a homeowner) U-turn?

Name
BRIDGET HELM
Hi. We have a 2 year old Great Dane and 5 kids. I must have been sleep deprived when I agreed to a Great Dane as our first family dog. It’s literally like having a pony in our house, and I USED to have a really nice house (before the pony moved in).

Now that he’s 2 years old, has gone to obedience “camp”, is potty trained, is starting to calm down, and is trained to stay off the furniture except HIS sofa and HIS chair, I’d like to pull out and clean 2 area rugs he soiled during the oh so long 4 months of potty training and the occasional accidents that followed over the next 12 months — accidents which were more like lakes, actually, considering his size. I’d also like to clean for the 4th time the living room rug which I never picked up. Thank goodness we have a hall door in the living room to keep him from the back of the house/ the bedrooms!

I was given a brand new 450 dollar BISSELL big green deep cleaning machine last year by my neighbor when her mother passed away. Her mom never opened the box, and it wasn’t even a year old. It does a great job with dirt and all stains, but the faint smell of urine persists in the rugs.

I cleaned the rugs before I rolled them up and put them away, but I immediately smelled urine today when I took them out and unrolled them. I just cleaned the one in the living room/the one I left out for the 3rd time, and I only smell urine when I sit on the ground/on the rug.

The machine came with some so called “professional” cleaning solutions, but we all know they’re not REALLY professional. One is Oxyclean pet something…

Should I buy u-turn and spray the rugs with it, let it sit 2 hours, then clean the rugs with the machine? It would basically be sort of like flushing it? Not as much of a flush as a pro but maybe enough to help with odor after spraying it with something like U-turn??

I spot treated with Folex and added a little to the clean water basin last time I cleaned the living room rug, but it’s still got that urine smell when I sit on it. No one comes in the house and smells urine, but I get a whiff of it at times, especially on humid days, and most summer days are humid down in South Louisiana.

Not sure if this info matters but:
The living room rug is a very very low pile Oushak wool rug. One of the others is a much thicker pile oriental wool rug but a tight weave. And the last one is a synthetic rug made to look like an oriental rug. It was cheap. Bought it for the play room, so no big deal, but it’s worth a shot cleaning it again I guess?

Is U-turn the product y’all recommend? Or is there something better?

I have had our two 9x12 rugs sent off and professionally cleaned twice in the past before we got Jupiter and plan to again in the future, but at the moment we can’t afford to. (Too many mouths to feed including a small pony ;)

Thx for any advice you are willing to provide!

BIG WOOD

The Timminator
Name
Matt w.
wool needs to be taken to a rug washing facility, not bissell

with the synthetic, you'll have a better chance at cleaning the urine.
soak it in u-turn outside in your driveway
dwell for about an hour
flood rinse with water hose
push the heavy water off with a hard squeegee type tool
suck remainder of water with your bissel
let dry for 2-3 days in the sun
if it still smells, just throw the rug away. The cost to clean it at a rug washing facility exceeds the value of the rug

But if you have a life and don't want to spend that much time on cleaning the rug, hire a professional. They have machines and tools and KNOWLEDGE that the back of the bottles don't tell you that fix your urine problem and their machines are literally 200 times more powerful than the bissell.
-water pressure on the bissell 35-5o psi
-water pressure on truck mount machine 650-1000psi
= 200% more flushing

use the bissell for minor cleanups and drink spills only in between professional cleanings

For every other type of cleaning on your carpet/furnture/tile/LVT/mattresses...call a professional

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Solve the real problem, get rid of the dog.
Over time that dog will ruin the interior of your house. I have seen pet urine problems that rot the floor . Cats will do the same thing.
Don't live in a cesspool of bacteria and viruses that may affect the health of all in your family.

Reactions: ImperialCC

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Solve the real problem, get rid of the dog.
Over time that dog will ruin the interior of your house. I have seen pet urine problems that rot the floor . Cats will do the same thing.
Don't live in a cesspool of bacteria and viruses that may affect the health of all in your family.

I found this because I knew it would bring you joy Jimmy.....this is the world of today.

dog and lady.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom