Wash pit complete.... now what?

Name
George Valliant
Put together a quick wash pit yesterday. A custy's wool rug smells like dog pee and I need to get the discoloration and smell out. (She's very concerned about the smell)

I made the pit using four 1.5" x 10' PVC pipe with 90degree elbows and a 10x13 pond liner. A boat load of spring clamps, some pulley's, and a bunch more stuff for hang drying rugs. Culligan is coming today to install soft water for home and vortex.

Did a trial run on some throw away rugs. Everything went smooth except the glided rx-20 was useless. (Rugs kept binding and pinching).

1. I started the process with a good vacuuming. Then I flipped the rugs upside down and inserted leaf blower until i got the "wave action" and knocked the dust out.

2. Then I filled the pit using a fireman nozzle with garden hose. I trickled some of Cobb's Heavy Duty Pre-contitioner liquid into the water stream. Once rugs were adequately submerged I sprayed the top of them with Judson Juice using a Mytee electric sprayer.

3. Grabbed the RX-20 w/ pad driver and a big fluffy bonnet and gave them a super scrub.

4. Rinsed the heck out of them using the fireman nozzle garden hose.

5. Extracted with Truckmount and glided wand.

6. Hung dry with air movers on low pointing straight up.

The process seemed to work great! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Most importantly, how should I handle the custy's urine soaked wool rug?

What chemicals should I use to knock out the smell?

How should I finish?

Fringes?

Bleeding? Browning?

Fabric protecting?

Thank you,

063.jpg

ThompsonRug002.jpg

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
If the rug has urine everywhere, I would soak it in an acid treatment for neutralizing urine salts and include something to remove lipids (AKA cholesterol or animal fats) that remain after the water from the urine dries. I use TCU Neutralizer.

Keep the water circulating.

Depending on the rug, you may want to treat with a dye stabilizer first. I like Dye-Loc. (Lisa W will tell you acetic acid works as well. That has not been my experience, but she has cleaned a lot more rugs than I have.)

Once most of the urine is rinsed out, proceed with your regular cleaning. For extra odor control, you can add Hydrocide to your prespray at about 4 ounces per gallon of ready to use solution.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom