Waste tank dump valves

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
I am going to replumb my waste tank drain. I have a pvc ball valve on it now but it is hard to turn. Anyone use the black gate valves that they put on portables alot? Do they come in 1.5" ? can they mate up with pvc?

G

Get a brass ball valve from conbraco/apollo valves. Gate valves suck and leak way too often.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Ditto the ball valve. I t should be a direct swap and be good for a year or two.

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
Yeah good call guys! i didnt realize the gate valves leaked. I have a box truck and i had plumbed a couple pvc elbows and pipe into the waste drain to get it where i wanted it. But I think i am going to redo it all with copper pipe and a brass valve.

Name
John LaBarbera
To answer your question, Gate valves do come in 1 1/2 ABS. I don't know about Truck Mounts but on portables they last a long time. They should be lubricated on the guillotine face and the stainless steel shaft with WD40. The gasket is also replaceable. Try some WD40 on your ball valve at the stem and on the ball. That may help.

John

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Theres no need to replumb it with copper, it would be very expensive to do it and the PVC serves the same purpose at a fraction of the cost.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
i did that same thing to mine....the fookin 2" ball valve was a pain in the ass to turn, so i put the gate valve from my old porty on it...works like a charm and doesnt leak..

John Watson

In a real world scenario The gate or Guillotine valve will work for years with a little maintenance and is still cheap to replace if needed compared to the more expensive ball valves. Like John from Mytee said plus every time you dump, just before you close the valve (either ball or guillotine) turn on your vacuum system as you close slowly. It will suck the crap out of the footing and around the ball so you get a good seal.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
buy a "full port" ball valve (brass)
as mentioned, you don't need to change the PVC plumbing.

all you need to do is cut the PVC valve off, glue on a threaded PVC end and screw on the new ball valve.
Simple as that

I tried the knife valves years ago..JUNK
I also tried the PVC ball vavles...JUNK

Full port brass ball valves aren't cheap, but they last years and years and years.

..L.T.A.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
As Mr. Watson said, the gate valve will last as long as you clean the grit out of the bottom of the seal before closing it. If it leaks the seals need to be replaced.

Gritty ball valves need to be cleaned too. Taking one apart and cleaning it out is a really simple job.

We've used plastic ball valves in the shop for years and I can't remember having to fix one, and the brass ones that come stock on the CDS never get any service and don't have to be replaced in the six or so years we use them.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
ok so who ants my 2" BRASS ball valve???

$10 and you pay shipping

I think that would still be cheaper then the store..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom