Waste tank gaskets

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
About 3 years ago there was a post on mb on how to make new waste tank gaskets foe the V. I followed the directions and they have lasted until now, however they are starting to leak again. I have tried to find that remedy or fix using the search button 2-3 times and can't seem to locate it. The procedure was to scrap old gasket material out, scrub the area well, then apply this material and set lid back on tank for 24 hrs, then you had to take a block of wood and knock it off the next day. I just needed to know the product that is used to form the gasket.

Name
Ron lippold
billy i made one with silicone gasket maker, it took well over 24 hrs to dry. I let it dry off the tank. still holding after 2 years...

Reactions: BLewis

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
when ever I first got my Vortex ..my tank gasket was shot...I tried every thing possible to replace it..they sent me out all kinds of stuff... and noting really held up that good..

Finally talked to Aero tech and they shipped me out a new lid with what ever that yellow stuff that they mold into the grove for the seal is...and then you just ship them back the old lid..at that time it cost me under $300 bucks and 4 years later when I sold the truck the seal still looked like new.......

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
also a really good sealant is windshield glue. Go to a glass shop and buy a tube. The stuff is very strong. I put a large bead around my tank. I then oiled up my lid. lightly pressed the lid onto the adhesive and waited about 5 hours. popped my lid off and then waited till the next day to use it. You must be careful about oiling up your lid well. That stuff is very aggressive and you wouldn't want to accidentally glue your lid to the tank.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I would like to just find the rubber flange seals that the Genesis and Powerclean models use. When they're in good shape, they work well. Everywhere I look, you have to buy 500 feet of the stuff.

Jimbo

Hey Billy...I had good results with taking the lids into a local rubber supplier...California Rubber...you might have some other local supplier...They made neoprene gasket that I then glued into the channels on the lid...They were one piece gaskets...so no ends to try and keep in place.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
i make my own gaskets from black polyurethane. It is very tough. i have never had to replace one yet. that is what rhino liner is made from. It's about 4 dollars a tube at the big box stores. spread , cover with wax paper and set with a little vacuum , then let dry over night. almost indestructible.

gene

Name
BradFenstermaker
Billy I use the heater hose along with an inner tube from a semi truck. Are there any river tubing companies near you?

Go and get some with holes or broke valve stems. Drape over tank and place lid on as evenly as you can.

Engage unit on idle to pull the lid down and slowly raise rpm. It works good but is a pain to line it all up each time you clean the filters.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
rwcarpet said:
I would like to just find the rubber flange seals that the Genesis and Powerclean models use. When they're in good shape, they work well. Everywhere I look, you have to buy 500 feet of the stuff.

Here Robert- The stuff I use around the perimeter of my tank is called Trim-Lok. It is just rubber edging 1/2" x 1/8", with no metal in it. If you only want enough for your tank, buy it from my local supplier- Trident Co. 1-262-784-3663. Be specific that you want just the rubber trim. I use the trim with metal in it for the cross supports because those puppies just slice right through the rubber trim.

Name
BradFenstermaker
Erik do you stuff the heater hose in lid or slice down the middle and put on tank rim?

Also do you use any glue?

Thanks

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Doug Cox said:
rwcarpet said:

Here Robert- The stuff I use around the perimeter of my tank is called Trim-Lok. It is just rubber edging 1/2" x 1/8", with no metal in it. If you only want enough for your tank, buy it from my local supplier- Trident Co. 1-262-784-3663. Be specific that you want just the rubber trim. I use the trim with metal in it for the cross supports because those puppies just slice right through the rubber trim.

Thanks, Doug....I'll check them out. I think you told me about them before, but I'm getting "Vawter-ish".

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
BradFenstermaker said:
Erik do you stuff the heater hose in lid or slice down the middle and put on tank rim?

Also do you use any glue?

Thanks

Stuff it all the way around the lid then cut it, no glue. It will flatten and be thicker. It's 5/8 not 1/2 SORRY!

lance

Billy, talk to Duane Oaxley. I think he is the one who knows what the product is for gaskets.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom