Water Softener? Anybody have one of these?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Good questions, Ken. We need to get a softener.

One more question. Couldn't the unit just recharge while I'm cleaning? I'd be hooking my water supply line to the softener to clean anyways, right?

Also, anyone use a softener that park outside, how do you keep it from freezing?

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Even a decent softener lasts a long time. You may have a small part on the head fail here and there, that any local shop can fix on the cheap, but the resin in the cylinder/tank lasts a long time, 10,15,20 years depending on usage.

You need to calculate your water hardness, grains per gallon, then your approximate gallons per day, multiply the two to find out how many grains per day the resin tank will capture. Then divide by the resin tank's grain capacity.

In my area we are HARD, 20 gpg, if we use 200 gallons per day, that's 2000 grains it captures. Using 40,000 grain softeners, we have to recharge every 10 days.

You can get the specs about how many lbs of salt per recharge a unit consumes, then figure your cost, but it's so cheap I have never figured it. I think we get 3 charges from 40lbs, lowes sells them for $6 a bag, so $2 a charge as a guess.

You will never descale anything again - and you can dilute your tm chems much more, so in the end you'll save $

We use all in one 40k units from our local plumbing supply disty - $600. Easier to charge, less expensive.

Reactions: ruff

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Good questions, Ken. We need to get a softener.

One more question. Couldn't the unit just recharge while I'm cleaning? I'd be hooking my water supply line to the softener to clean anyways, right?

Also, anyone use a softener that park outside, how do you keep it from freezing?

Probably wouldn't recharge while cleaning. Now the Kinetico I have in my van can charge while cleaning, because it uses 2 tanks.....one is softning water while the other is recharging and discharging the brine into the waste tank. But those Kinetico bastards will not deal and you are stuck with the dealer in your area. I cannot find any Kinetico's available online....anywhere. And they are pricey!!

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Probably wouldn't recharge while cleaning. Now the Kinetico I have in my van can charge while cleaning, because it uses 2 tanks.....one is softning water while the other is recharging and discharging the brine into the waste tank. But those Kinetico bastards will not deal and you are stuck with the dealer in your area. I cannot find any Kinetico's available online....anywhere. And they are pricey!!
I've been running this Kinetico since 1992. Alittle rough looking, but still does the job. The first pic......hose running to the left is brine hose to waste tank.
ws.jpg
Second pic.......big plastic "L" is the brine reciever, which runs directly to the waste tank.
ws2.jpg

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
They are the best available but they are so damn expensive.

Yep, Doc.....if one could only buy from the factory or from some competitive dealer, you might be able to pick up a unit for a decent price. I tried to convince the local dealer that all I wanted was a "cash and carry" deal......no up-selling, no problems. I even tried to buy a used, traded, or obsolete model from him but....no dice. I ocationally see them on Craigslist or Ebay.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Yep, Doc.....if one could only buy from the factory or from some competitive dealer, you might be able to pick up a unit for a decent price. I tried to convince the local dealer that all I wanted was a "cash and carry" deal......no up-selling, no problems. I even tried to buy a used, traded, or obsolete model from him but....no dice. I ocationally see them on Craigslist or Ebay.

I bought my unit from a ProChem dealer out of Southern Ohio....Chillicothe, I think....and he built them specificaly for truck mount use.....tailored to your own TM with all fittings and installation manual. When I told the local dealer were I got it from, he just about brought in the DOJ to investigate who sold a competeing unit in his exclusive area. What a putz!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom