waterpump on 2005 chevy express van

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
My water pump on my 2005 chevy express van is starting to leak, has anyone here replaced this on their van? Is it a straightforward job? I have replaced them before on older vehicles, but didnt know if this needs anything special.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
pretty straight forward ..room is the biggest problem.....pull the shroud and the radiator and it makes it easier.....little bit of Nick-o goop around both sides of the gasket and try not to snap the bolts...............

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
That is what i was hoping. I tried to do one on a subaru and that was a nightmare. It looks like once i take off the shroud and a few things i should have easy access to it. Just wish it was in my 69 Ford, I had a little bit more room in that beast.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Guess what? My 2005 express was leaking antifreeze tonight. so i called my mechanic. I met him at his shop at 6 pm tonight. It needed a water pump. the waterpump cost $111.00 at advance auto parts. my mechanic charged me $100 bucks. not bad. It took him and his helper about 1 hour.. He had to take everything off. not to bad i watched lol. So weird cause i was going to post this. hope this helps. I think after watching him i could do it. how many miles are on yours? mines got 123,000

R

R W

When I needed one on my 03 2500 Express a few years ago, the pump was around $160. You couldn't even find it by looking in the engine compartment. Fortuneatly, I had the extended warrantee, and GM covered the job for $100. It covered the pump, thermostat, and coolant. I also had them replace the belt. Unless you had the tools and the patience, it looked like a timely job.

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
RW, I have both, well most of the time, the older I get the less patience I seem to have.

R

R W

TimM said:
RW, I have both, well most of the time, the older I get the less patience I seem to have.

Well, I did replace all the brakes on the 03 a few weekends ago. It took a bit of time, because I don't change brakes everyday, and had to wait for rotor turning, and a dealer only part....the caliper bracket.

I found out that you end up with a nose full of black brake dust if you don't wear a mask......probably asbestos!

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
whose your mechanic???

dont have a good one? take it down to DUO TECH kiddy corner from the waste transfer station...

Tell them i sent ya.....just dont butt in front of my truck thats there... :lol:

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
Doug, I am my mechanic, most of the times. I will keep Duo Tech in mind, I used to go there often many years ago when I worked for FedEx delivering the parts for them to fix your truck.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
yea i use to be...not anymore...to big of pita on newer vehicles

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom