Ways of generating new work... NOT

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
This thread is for stuff ups that you caused and were able to fix. I'm not talking swinging a buffer through a wall, more the pulled threads, small burns etc.

Tony's comment in the Bleach Spot thread got me thinking along these lines. Mikey also showed one not long ago where he skidded a chair acorss the room and the castor had broken and left a skike that pulled tufts that he was able to repair.

I've had a couple myself that stand out.

I was cleaning a nice sofa for an upmarket client and she wasn't home. My dri master must have got hit and had a small burr on the face. First run and it pulled a thread about 3" before I saw it. I was able to pull out my carpet needles and re stitch so it was invisible.

Second was a rental I had to repair a small 2" pulled thread and then clean the carpets. I was vaccing the whole joint so I could see the carpet and bang the dyson got the pulled thread and turned it into a 4' run :oops: I wasted about 4-5 hours re doing that one.

Share your red face stories with us so we can laugh with you :oops: :lol: It's easy to laugh after :D

John

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I haven't caused any repairs with cleaning yet but have had plenty buck puckering moments installing. I was on my first face to face wilton job with a senior mechanic. We stretched into a weird alcove angle for a TV, and I trimmed it in, Then I cut the wierd corner short.. (umm hey dan does this stretch anymore? :oops: ) A small and invisible to eye repair later and I was safe from that one.

Next one was another senior mechance. (66 years and he's still a little quicker than me.) He got in a hurry and layed out a bedroom the opposite direction than the rest of the carpet in the hall way and opposing direction and didn't notice until he had cut it in. A few seams later and he had it going back the right direction. The way he pulled it off, no one would ever know it was going the wrong direction.

After 30 years of doing measure, Dad has been awful accurate in setting up the cuts and layouts. However when he has missed, he missed big. Hmm. This piece is ten feet shorter than the room. Fortunalty it always seems to happen when we are doing a large house and usually we can either switch out for the fill and fill a little extra somewhere else.

And of course have I've had the OS moments when You drip a huge gob of hot melt glue from your iron on the carpet. But the worse of those is when you see the drip, panic and let it drop in your hand. (and it happens to be xk50 from orcon with a heat setting of 3.5 on the kooltop iron. (thats hurts alot!!) :oops:

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
ill do a few. working with another guy he was upstairs with the iron i call up can i have the iron he says ok and brings it down. had been plugged in for along time and lots of glue in tray. i take out of his hand and it splashes all over middle of room. cut out a huge patch in like 4x5 and never heard a word about it.

ive done the run the carpet wrong way in bedroom mistake too. turned it around seamed where necesary she was happy.

set iron on carpet not realizing the tray wasnt under it. another patch

worked all day doing a vinyl floor. customer comes home i start moving fridge back tired and hungry tore the floor right in front of him. i asked would you let me try to fix it? if you dont like it ill buy a new one. he says ok. lined up grout lines patched and sealed no problem

im sure many more i cant think of right now

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom