WD Companies.......

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
What are you doing about the new moisture resistant padding? Are you pulling it up and drying or just replaceing it? You defineatly cannot extract through it with the water claw. I find more and more of this stuff in basements.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I concur with esteemed colleague. 8)

No way for water to release from the pad with the barrier in the way. It seems a shame to waste such expensive pad but it's not going to dry unless you perforated it and then it wouldn't work as intended.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Hoody said:
Pull it, Bob. Unless the water is only on top of the pad, and not underneath.

In every case so far, it was wet all the way through. I think it is a useless product except in the case of extreme pet problems. What exactly is the purpose of it? If it is a moisture barrier for say.....concrete basements, it basically traps moisture....doesn't allow carpet and pad to breathe any hunidity from the subfloor.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
As I remember, Bob, it was sold as a pet pad originally. Some of the retailers also claimed there was an enzyme in the pad that digested urine and didn't allow it to penetrate to the sub floor.

I will say it does work well for the pet purpose. The only downside is the pad causes the spot to spread wider. If you know they have that pad(most who purchased it will tell you) be sure to move 6" to a foot out and treat the outer area too.

PS.

I agree its pretty worthless other than its original intended use. But retailers and manufacturers will make claims/market their products for applications that just aren't very practical

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
I always assumed the skin or vapor barrier on top of the pad was to allow the carpet to slide over the pad for easier installation.

LeeCory

Not only do I pull it, I explain to the customer why we do not want that product in a basement.

Its always irritating when you find a basement full of that stuff.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
kmdineen said:
I always assumed the skin or vapor barrier on top of the pad was to allow the carpet to slide over the pad for easier installation.

Most plastic skim on the pad is for that purpose. Even though it looks like solid plastic layer, that skim layer is usually full of small holes that allow water and water vapor to pass through.

The water-resistant pad has a solid and thicker layer of plastic. It is sold at a premium price.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom