Website opinions

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I found that if your free quote box sends them to a page where the client can e-mail you the work they want done you'll get more response. Works like a contact us page.

That way they won't have to pick up a phone. Very convenient if the client is browsing while they are at work.

See my carpet cleaning site for example.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I think we both need professional help.

I think your background image is distracting.
Too much information for one page...that was my problem too. Fred told me so.
Couple of good pictures but the layout of them in combo with the background image doesn't work.

I'll have to go back and see how quick I see your phone number or contact info.

I'll check it out more later, these were just my first thoughts.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Brian,

I think I made an improvement. Yes my site still needs work. I don't think it's any more busy than the Mary Kay site. I will not hire anyone else because I want control and once I find a format that gets the phone ringing it will be easy to make small changes. Your site seems to be down. Stop messing with it and do some cold calling.

Mike.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I like the old one for the same reason Brian mentioned. That background picture made it difficult to read the text. I don't mind the text, people will read the copy, just make it interesting and they need to be able to read it clearly.
Your original home pg looks clean in comparison, very easy to read.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I didn't read the content but agree with others. Bring down the opacity of your background image (start with 25%). And smile.

Albert

Tony Dees

Lose the background photo, that photo is played out.

i do agree with the above, retake your photo too. ...I'd hate to see him in a dark alley if I were a split tale

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I appreciate all the great feedback. It’s a little depressing that I spent so much time and it still needs redone. Yea, it’s not the best picture. I was up late working on that dumb site and unable to force a smile. Guess, I’ll give it another shot.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Mike,
I like how your 4 of a kind special is more expensive than your 10% off.
If a customer catches that, they might get butt hurt.

If I had to do one thing to the site, I would still say to take down the background photo...it's cool how it's done (I fall into that trap) but it's just too hard to read the text.

I would go with maybe a pattern or color. Keep it cool, but keep it easy.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Brian,

I guess your right, the background has to go. It's a shame, worked hard getting the background just so. IF a customer only has 4 areas in there whole house, they could take the full house offer and save $16 Vs. $10 with the four of a kind. I think i'll just put everything into a table with a white background and airbrush the edges of images white so it looks uniform.

Mike.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I know what you mean. I have worked hours on my website just to completely change it again and again to try to get it right.

I have great ideas that don't work. Or at least I think they are great...until it doesn't work.

A website is an ongoing thing. You can't just put it together and leave it.
This a is a good thing compared to a yellow page phone book ad that is stuck for a year at a time...or longer depending on how long the potential custy is holding on to the damn thing.

I like the idea of airbrushing but it's not necessary. Whatever looks better.

Remember to try to draw the lookers eye to your phone number or contact page button.

I've been going back and forth on this.

I've re done some more things on my site...now I think it is too crowded again (Ron).
I just have to much I want to say.

Less is more, usually. I know this, but it's tough.

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
The image in the background is distracting and interferes with the copy. It looks cool to us but Mrs. Piffleton isn't likely to find it very moving. It's feet and a wand, how well can she relate?

Most of your customers are women. They don't spend much time thinking about tools. They will have a keen interest in you, though. They'll be much more likely to call if they can find reasons to trust you and have confidence in you. YOU, not your equipment, not your process. You.

The thought of calling you should make them feel good, safe, secure.

Rather than a dry numbererd list and a small picture of a fellow who looks like he'd rather be somewhere else, you might want to consider a format something akin to this,

ace.jpg

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Updating your website helps you in the search ratings. Or so I've been told.

I dont mean changing the entire site like I've been doing.

Just some new content every now and again.

The blog thing is good for this.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Dang Wayne,
That looks slick but, I think Joe Polish would disagree about a numbered list being ineffective. How much do you want to do my site?

I took a better photo and will have it uploaded soon. There is only one other owner in my market that has a photo on the main page of their site. Here he is:
photo_tom2.jpg

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
I didn't mean numbered lists can't be effective. They can be, in the right place, and you can still use it. I heard something years ago I never forgot. A couple of gurus were talking about writing copy and justification when they asked, "if you were writing a letter to your mother would you full-justify it?" Would you? Probably not. It's way too business-like for mom. Why wouldn't you want to treat potential customers the same way?

The best, most cutting-edge equipment and being the most highly educated fellow in your field won't get you a fraction of what comes with, "Hey, I like this guy." When people like having you in their home they don't want to call anybody else. That's a painful and scarey thought. People look for companies they think they'll like having in their home.

If I've learned anything about this business it's that it's all about relationships. Which approach would you think has a better chance laying the ground work for a longtime relationship with Mrs. Piffleton? A nice, tidy, unemotional, detatched list of reasons to buy, or something more personal and conversational? That's my logic.

Do yourself a favor, go to the mall and spend the fifty or hundred bucks to get a few great pics of you in uniform showing off your million dollar smile so Mrs. Piffleton can see she's gonna like who's she's calling.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Wayne's hit it.
I still have old customers who want me personally to come out and clean. For some of my better ones I will come out and introduce who ever may be cleaning so they can feel "at home".
It was a big deal for me to find quality guys in the areas that I have old customers so that they would feel better about the job than sending a dirtbag and getting pissed at me.

I knew that I would have some hurdles to leap because no matter how better these guys are at cleaning and how friendly they are the fact is, the customer was used to me.

It's a lot better now than it was.
Most of my really good customers were happy to see my business growing.
That's the kind of customers I want to attract.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom