WELCOME DEBORAH LEMA OF HOST

Name
Deborah Lema
Hello, All!

I have to say what a wonderful forum this appears to be, with a wealth of information and support (and venting!).

I was invited to introduce myself, so here goes:
I'm the Research and Education Associate up here, and part of my job is tracking what goes on in the industry. My feeling is that the professional cleaner's voice needs to be heard, since you're the ones out there in the field. I also feel that the professional cleaner's voice is often heard LAST and that is wrong.

Why am I here? It was recommended to me to check out this board, primarily to see what folks were saying about the CRI and IICRC issues going on. I am not a salesperson, and I am not here to sell anything or argue anything. Well, maybe a little arguing. :-)

Nice to meet you all!
~Debbie

Oh- and Brian, we very rarely get machines back to refurbish and resell; but many folks have great luck on ebay finding used machines. Here's a tip: if you do see one on ebay that you're interested in, find out the serial number and call us up- maybe we can tell you some background on it.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Its great to have you here Debbie. Please feel free to contribute and ask us for feedback any time you like.

Its nice to have someone from outside the mainstream HWE manufacturing industry here.

Name
Deborah Lema
Thanks Jim.

I admit I may not spend time in the "Big Trucks" area :shock: but whatever method anybody uses, we're all about cleaning the best way we can in whatever situation we're in, right?

Just a rhetorical question here, as I'm finding this whole forum thing a little addictive: how much time on average would you say you spend here?!?!

~Debbie

Jester

This is my homepage....I have it on this forum 24/7 I even call my wife for updates on new posts when I'm on the job.........JK

Rambo

Deborah, How is Fritz Rench? is he still involved since his retirement? I place him in the top five innovators in this industry, and a master of the "Demo"

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Debbie,

I would be interested to hear what manufacturers, distributors and users of the various "non-hwe" methods feel about being left out of this program...and apparently being omitted from any warranty work?

What is Host's official position?

Take care,
Lisa

Name
Deborah Lema
Rambo said:
Deborah, How is Fritz Rench? is he still involved since his retirement? I place him in the top five innovators in this industry, and a master of the "Demo"

I will tell him you said so! He is involved more in spirit than actively, and his legacy is kept close to heart. I have a natural bias that I should admit though- I am his niece.

-------------------

I don't know how to quote more than one question at a time, so I'll just retype it: Is the HOST System CRI SOA'ed?
Nope.

~Debbie

Name
Deborah Lema
truckmount girl said:
Debbie,

I would be interested to hear what manufacturers, distributors and users of the various "non-hwe" methods feel about being left out of this program...and apparently being omitted from any warranty work?

What is Host's official position?

Take care,
Lisa

Well Lisa, I have been hoping someone would ask that. If there is serious interest in this, I would ask that you or any other reader email me directly at dlema@hostdry.com.

The short version is this:
The idea that the CRI would prioritize low-moisture systems on the bottom shelf, in the back, under some old books on the history of carpet cleaning, does not surprise us. Looking at it objectively, if you consider the HWE market share, it just makes good business sense. Also, if you consider that CRI member dues are paid based on company size, meaning the biggest company pays the most money, things get clear in a hurry. If the top payer wants HWE, it's not good business sense to do otherwise. If smaller member mills happen to get their carpet fiber from the larger mill, perhaps they may feel pressure to "follow the leader". An independent lab, who is a paying CRI member, whose percentage of business comes mainly from one direction, may also feel pressure to focus its energies on certain things and not others.

I can only speculate at this point about how LM distributors and end-users feel about the SOA program. How do manufacturers feel? I suspect they feel one or more of the following: a) hijacked, having to pay a good amount of money to prove their mettle when the marketplace should decide their fate, b) bitter about having to pass on testing expenses to customers, c) excited about having a proving ground that can give them marketplace advantage d) indifferent because they feel it may not affect them much directly, or e) angry because someone is threatening their customers' livelihoods.

When we first heard about this program, we were enamored. As we learned more and more about it, however, we grew less and less enamored. What are we going to do about it? Those decisions aren't finalized yet.

~Debbie

Scott

Debbie -

Although I don't know you and have never seen you write before this thread, I must admit I really enjoy your writing style.

You don't do any copywriting, do you?

Scott

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
It certainly does seem that methods other than HWE have been, shall we say...disenFRANCHISED doesn't it?

Email sent.

Thanks and take care,
Lisa

Mikey P

Administrator
Debbie

I have on more then one occasion cleaned a carpet that was "Hosted" long before my Big ol' Vortex and I got there. I found Host particles embedded in the traffic lanes and no matter how much dry vacuuming I did, I could not get all the stuff out.

Now in some cases some of the Host particles actually wicked up to the tips of the carpet fibers as it dried.

So my question is this, what type or brand of vacuum do you recommend to those using your method and do you think it's possible to remove ALL of the absorbent compound once it has done it's job?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Well Debbie, you asked for feedback, and you've gotten it!

I agree with Scott, you communicate well in print. Your SOA comments are well understood by us all, and while we may have different approaches to cleaning, we have a common ground in wanting the program to evolve into something fair for all of us.

How much time do I spend here?

I'd be afraid to find out............

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
how come when you changed training programs you promised if we bought your PCA cleaner we would recieve it at no charge but I never got it after paying? I have host liberator and a bunch of sponges that are useless to me. I called and they said we do not have the training video yet but sign up for PCA and we will give you that and a bunch of marketing stuff for your PCA membership, 9 months and no trainingvideo. No matter how hard I try to make your system work, I just can't. I have your prespray and sponges it doesn't work, I think it may be training but I bought everything on that premise and have gotten no training DVDs since, as promised.
Picture337.jpg

4 bottles of Prep, 4 large containers of sponges, a host liberator PCA membership
anyone looking to buy?

Attachments

• Picture337.jpg
    Picture337.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 253
Name
Deborah Lema
I understand now why this forum is so addicting: you go to sleep or go to work for just a little while and you get behind in the conversation! My apologies if my responses are slow in coming.

If I may reply to several questions in one post?

Scott- I have been know to write copy. However, I am more known for my extra mean editing. It's funny how you think you're a nice person, but then someone hands you something and asks you to look it over, and the next thing you know, egos are crushed and tears are flying. So I've worked up a tiered system: when someone asks me to look over something, I ask them if they want a 1, 2, or 3. They know that if they pick #3 then it's their own fault. Kinda like having to warn a customer about potential color loss or shrinking.

Jim- I'm glad we're on the same page, even if it isn't necessarily for the same reasons.

Mike- Leftover HOST in the carpet? Well gee. I don't have a favorite vacuum that I would recommend, although I wish I did. Every time I think I do, I change my mind. But I will tell you that on some carpets (especially ones that have some wear and therefore have rougher surfaces) and at certain humidity levels, extra agitation and vacuuming is a must for getting out the dirty sponges. Most vacs don't have the pile lifting necessary to help in this situation. As far as getting it ALL out, a few are usually left over, but they come up in time with regular vacuuming.
Wicking? This one is news to me. I've heard of and seen powder cleaners wick up, but HOST particles are engineered to a size that specifically prevents it from getting airborne or from wicking. Do you remember how long ago this was? It may not be our current formula.

Greg- I am confused and upset by your confusion and upsetment. Okay, upsetment isn't a word. Your number is here- I will call you this afternoon or tomorrow and see if we can't figure out what's happening.

Regards,
Debbie

Name
Deborah Lema
Posting pdfs?

Shucks Tim; thanks. Can I tell the boss you said so? :wink:

Really though- thank all YOU guys for sharing.

Question: who do I talk to about posting pdfs regarding things perhaps worth reading? Maybe in the "Outhouse" area? Any file size limitations?

Thanks and regards,
Debbie

G

Just hit the PM under Mikey. That will do wonders for you.

But I have a real question....is there now 4 hot women in the Carpet Cleaning world???

Chad :p

John Watson

Welcome to Mikeys Place.

Please tell Fritz Hello from me, a student of Class #113, when Mark Schaffer filled in for Geoff. Besides the normal Dinner, As special guests from Alaska. They took us to a double header baseball game and tailgate party.

I was introduced to Host by the late great Harry Barouth in one of his return trips from Japan while on a stop over in Alaska.

Your input is welcomed, sometimes you might have to blink over the should be bleeped words..

G

Maybe we can talk you into showing up to MikeyFeast and show us the ins and outs of what Host has to offer us. Especially in the commercial setting.

There will be a hockey rink that one can try it on.

What do you say....Host...vrs Cimex...vrs RotoVac....vrs Bane....Vrs Vortex.....vrs OP machine???

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
It looks like you'll be able to hold your own with our gang.

My father and your uncle are contemporaries; he may remember him. You folks used to publish a series of charts and worksheets on planned carpet maintenance.

Your technical people were fair sighted and fair minded enough to make it usable for all types of cleaning systems, and we always recommended it in our classes.

Is it still available?

Mikey P

Administrator
I think it was less then two years ago actually.

No doubt what so ever that the "adobe-ied" Host particles were causing a yellow discoloration on the tips of a white nylon Berber.

I can only imagine that once a carpet has been HWE'd over a residue of Host kernels, it's all over as far as having any hopes of getting out that yellow adobe.

Name
Deborah Lema
John Watson said:
Welcome to Mikeys Place.

Please tell Fritz Hello from me, a student of Class #113, when Mark Schaffer filled in for Geoff. Besides the normal Dinner, As special guests from Alaska. They took us to a double header baseball game and tailgate party.

I was introduced to Host by the late great Harry Barouth in one of his return trips from Japan while on a stop over in Alaska.

Your input is welcomed, sometimes you might have to blink over the should be bleeped words..

Hi John! I sure will pass on your hello to Fritz. And a moment of silence for Harry.... I'm glad you had the honor of knowing him.

Wow! Class #113! You must have been around 5 or 6 years old. (I'm also impressed that you remember your class number.)

Regards,
Debbie

Name
Deborah Lema
Jim Pemberton said:
It looks like you'll be able to hold your own with our gang.

My father and your uncle are contemporaries; he may remember him. You folks used to publish a series of charts and worksheets on planned carpet maintenance.

Your technical people were fair sighted and fair minded enough to make it usable for all types of cleaning systems, and we always recommended it in our classes.

Is it still available?

I'm glad to hear you've found some of papers useful. We have all kinds of such things; we're chart kind of people. I'm not sure exactly which ones you are referring to, but I bet we have a version of it available. I'll check with Geoff Greeley when he gets back from Vegas next week and see what we can get to you.

What's your father's name, if I may ask? I can pass along a hello to the Rench brothers for him.

Regards,
Debbie

Name
Deborah Lema
Mikey P said:
I think it was less then two years ago actually.

No doubt what so ever that the "adobe-ied" Host particles were causing a yellow discoloration on the tips of a white nylon Berber.

I can only imagine that once a carpet has been HWE'd over a residue of Host kernels, it's all over as far as having any hopes of getting out that yellow adobe.

Well harrumph. I was hoping you were going to say that you weren't sure when it was, except that you thought Carter was president. I wonder what kind of chemistry/pH you were using?

Regards,
Debbie

Name
Deborah Lema
chad said:
Maybe we can talk you into showing up to MikeyFeast and show us the ins and outs of what Host has to offer us. Especially in the commercial setting.

There will be a hockey rink that one can try it on.

What do you say....Host...vrs Cimex...vrs RotoVac....vrs Bane....Vrs Vortex.....vrs OP machine???

I've seen mention of this glorious thing called MikeyFest... what exactly is it? Sounds like trouble, especially if one needs to bring a HOST machine and hockey gear.

Clean-offs are always fun. Have you seen the Pasco County School District carpet cleaning study that they did? (They meaning the school, not a manufacturer.)

Regards,
Debbie

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom