well, my adventurous rug hacks finally got bit...

Mikey P

Administrator
1579665075415.png

1579665094273.png

Top cleaned with Chemsepc One Earth, dried flat...

Suggestions besides sending to Lisa Wagner?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
You can try masking off the blue and applying a 2 part oxy/ammonia stain remover. Spray and let dry. Products like one earth or Procyon although they may be wool safe, are not recommended for multi colored wool rugs. The initial ph is too high. Low pH and low temperature is much better. I use prochem fine fabric and prochem axiom liquid extraction detergent. On a suspect bleeder, I sour both with an acid.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Oh poop. Keep us updated. I would keep rinsing and load it with acid rinse until it stops bleeding. Maybe set up a centralized flow concentrated on the area of bleed.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
If the rug is wool, use ammonia spray and then rinse with furniture tool. If jute or hemp, buy it and now they know better.

If that rug came from IKEA the customer can take it back. Not sure if other retailers have a return policy for selling crap.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I’m surprised none of the heavy hitter rug guys haven’t helped out yet. Ron, Joe, Tom M, Brian. What’s the plan here?

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
For that price you can take a chance. Usually the only way to remove fugitive dyes is an oxidizer or reducer. Oxidizers are safer and easier to use.

Mikey P

Administrator
I believe it's in an isolated area and only showing on one side..

Are there a few things my guys can try before moving on that won't cause more damage?

rmann

Name
Robert Mann
Treat the area as though the dye migration were a stain. Mix a mild detergent solution, add a few drops ammonia and spot with an extractor and bone tool as you might any stained area. You can use a vac or suction plate beneath the spot. Good chance some - or maybe all - flushes out. If that works follow with an acid neutralizer (3% acetic) dry quickly with vac, towels and compressed air. Peroxide won't do anything, stripper is a last resort and likely to leave a lightened area unless you have a lot of practice with such techniques. We get sent all sorts of dye bleed problems to correct that guys have 'worked on'. Most people go way too strong at the outset, often creating new problems that are harder to treat than the original issue. Always best to be very conservative and work in very small 'test' areas first. Good luck.

roro

Name
Ross Craig
whats the talcum powder for, an absorbant for fugitive dye?
yes the mix has a bit of acetic acid in it with hot water- usually takes about 3 days waiting till it dries out completely -then brush off and cool rinse - and repeat if necessary. Another option which we used with some success on fabrics, was to wet stain using a carrier such as Trich111 and then blow back with compressor into where the dye had migrated from
roro

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom