Wet Dog Smell In Carpeting- FIXED WITH GAS AND A MATCH :)

PCCN

I recently cleaned a vacant townhouse and left it spotless and smelling fresh. The owner called 2 days later and said it smelled horrible. I went back and it did smell pretty much like wet dirty dog. (The previous tenant did have a dog and I actually had to patch a couple of scratched holes in the carpeting.)

I went room to room and the odor seemed to be stronger in the master BR and hallway. So, one might assume the dog was allowed in only these areas and not the other 2 BR's.

Presprayed again, and rinsed with a very heavy all fiber tinse solution with Odor Cide added. The carpet sat for another 2 days and the new tenants are still saying they smell some of the odor lingering.

I full and slowly rinsed the carpet with the heavy Odor Cide rinse, as well as applied Matrix Bottom Line topically after the fact. Still, they smell an odor.

I am at a loss. It had zero odor when I was cleaning or finished the job, but I can also smell it. We have had horribly hot and humid weather lately but the odor should still be able to be removed.

ANY SUGGESTIONS???!!!

Actually killed the odor with thorough prespray again with Grease Eraser and Odor Cide additive, and rinsed with RX20 (SLOWLY) with All Fiber Rinse and Odor Cide. FINALLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY- thanks for all the suggestions guys!!!

brendan

Name
brendan
Re: Wet Dog Smell In Carpeting

hi,probably a silly question,,,,but is the carpet wool by any chance,,can smell like wet dog when drying and if it does get ventilation can linger for a while,,also dogs can get a skin disease which also smells the gaff like that,,

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning

I had that happen last month on a VERY thick shag rug. Lady said it had dried quickly but a couple days later it smelled of their dog who died two years ago. I coated it with 2 gals of Quatalot and dry-vacced and the odor was gone for good.

Marc Imbesi

Yep...Quat-a-lot knocks it all own....add some DD-12 to the mix for your client's nose...

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller

could the smell be coming from something else such as the a/c ducts or filter. tell them to open the windows and let it air out for a day or 2

gene

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

PCCN said:
ANY SUGGESTIONS???!!!

HELP!

I didn't see anywhere in there about vaccing dog dander

funny this thread came up.... we're trying to fix the most severe case of dog odor I've ever encountered in 20 years

three year old mid weight cut pile nylon in a condo
the folks that lived there had two large dogs

no sign of urine , carpet condition very good ...cept it smells like dog ..BAD in the living room.
a little in the bed rms and finished basement

a vac, pre-spray with a quat-a-lot spike , thorough flush/rinse extract .
everything camne out fine 'cept the living room.

I pull the carpet up to have a look...no urine
put it back down and "wernnerize" it ...we pulled 4 dust cups of fine dog dander .
Nuked with Quat-a-alot spiked w/dd12...15 to 20 minutes dwell and another thorough flush/rinse extract

still stinks the next day after dry :evil:

yesterday we nuked it with sodium perk , dwell 15-20 minutes
sprayed Countrycide (a DSC quat/deo) on top
flush/rinse ext'd again
put the fans on it and set up an ozone machine .

i checked it this morning .
after ventilating the ozone smell out i "think" we finally have it licked .
i left the ozone machine run tonight just for good measure .
I'll pick it up in the morning , ventilate the joint with fans and stick a fork in it...cause we've done all we can do

..L.T.A.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington

A couple of good points made in this thread, vacuuming to remove dog dander is a key. Checking other places beside the carpet for odor sources is also important.

When a dog gets wet, why does it smell worse than it did when it was dry? Did the water smell bad? No.

But the water vapor did provide a mechanism for the odor to reach our noses. Odors are always worse in humid conditions.

Your cleaning put a lot of moisture into the carpet and also into the air. That is where it goes when the carpet dries. Ventilation and replacing humid air with drier air is another key.

If you still have a dog odor, I would suggest Vaportek 3X industrial cartridge or membranes in one of their machines.

I have dealt with this several times. You will need to vacuum good. Treat the cs4pet with hydramaster UPS or similar acid pre spray. A rotary extractor is a must. Go slow and flush good. Post spray your favorite deodorizer. That will work.

joe harper

Name
joe harper

THIS IS not UNCOMMON... :shock:

Long -haired dogs can develop a skin disease from being kept indoors... :!:

The WORST are German Shepherds...It is a form of psoriasis... :idea:

It can be DAMN NEAR...permanent in nature... :oops:

Repeated steam cleaning will usually.... only activate the issue.... that hurts
As ..larry says....allow to dry & WerNeriZe IT...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only product that will perform the MASKING necessary is "HYDROCIDE EXTREME"... :idea:
Buy a PINT...and experience the MIRACLE.... :shock:

The Quad a Lot is our #1 go to odor chemical...But the HYDROCIDE is perfect for this issue !
Maybe Scott W. can elaborate on its properties...? It is a GREAT "leave-on" product.. 8)

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter

HARPER said:
THIS IS not UNCOMMON... :shock:

Long -haired dogs can develop a skin disease from being kept indoors... :!:

The WORST are German Shepherds...It is a form of psoriasis... :idea:

It can be DAMN NEAR...permanent in nature... :oops:

Repeated steam cleaning will usually.... only activate the issue.... that hurts
As ..larry says....allow to dry & WerNeriZe IT...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only product that will perform the MASKING necessary is "HYDROCIDE EXTREME"... :idea:
Buy a PINT...and experience the MIRACLE.... :shock:

The Quad a Lot is our #1 go to odor chemical...But the HYDROCIDE is perfect for this issue !
Maybe Scott W. can elaborate on its properties...? It is a GREAT "leave-on" product.. 8)

Long Haired Dog?

hope1.jpg

Scott W. can elaborate

PLEASE?

joe harper

Name
joe harper

NOT the "lil" dog's.... !gotcha!

Labs,Retreivers,Boxers, Pit Bulls......Not lil teaCuP canines...They just PISS everywhere.. :lol:

th_Morning_Pee.jpg

..............................................REAL DOG'S......................................... :idea: :mrgreen:

I am sure Scott...will Colaberate...before He Elaborate's.... !gotcha!

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier

no it won't

I tend to agree with Bob

agree with the ozone, I really dislike putting another scent in a room to cover up the source of the original odor

I would put a container of Fresh Wave IAQ gel in each room. I have had a few situations where we cleaned room that had some fresh water water damage and the customer put a fan on the carpet and dried it. We cleaned the carpet and now there is a water damge smell to the carpet
Put a container of the gel in the room for a few days, pulled the container out and the smell is gone as well as the smell from the gel

PCCN

brendan said:
hi,probably a silly question,,,,but is the carpet wool by any chance,,can smell like wet dog when drying and if it does get ventilation can linger for a while,,also dogs can get a skin disease which also smells the gaff like that,,

Nah, its polyester carpet. Gonna redo it this Sunday one more time............ Wheeewwwwwwwwwwwwww.. After this, he's on his own. :)

PCCN

GeneMiller said:
could the smell be coming from something else such as the a/c ducts or filter. tell them to open the windows and let it air out for a day or 2

gene
Actually, I got on my knees and checked each of the 3 bedrooms and the hallway. It is only in the carpet in the hall and master BR. No smell at all downstairs where the same AC unit supplies. So definitely in the 2 areas (hall and Master BR). Gonna redo Sunday.

PCCN

Art Kelley said:
I had that happen last month on a VERY thick shag rug. Lady said it had dried quickly but a couple days later it smelled of their dog who died two years ago. I coated it with 2 gals of Quatalot and dry-vacced and the odor was gone for good.
quatalot? Who's the supplier/manufacturer? Thanks!

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter

PCCN said:
Art Kelley said:
quatalot? Who's the supplier/manufacturer? Thanks!

quatalot?

David......8 years....?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

PCCN said:
Actually, I got on my knees and checked each of the 3 bedrooms and the hallway. It is only in the carpet in the hall and master BR. So definitely in the 2 areas (hall and Master BR). Gonna redo Sunday.

if it's in the hall, it's probably urine
Dogs generally don't lay around in the hall...they pee on it

do you know the difference in dog smell and dog URINE smell??

are you dealing with urine contamination or dog dander??

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

BTW, the combination of the sodium perk bath and ozone was the "one-two punch" that knocked it out for us...FINALLY

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

Lee Stockwell said:
Any of you guys ever jerk the carpet up and look deeper?

Sometimes VERY surprising.

yep...
had one that fooled me a few years ago.
i was "sure" it was nothing more than dog dander odor
No evidence from the tops side and it didn't smell anything like urine . ..and the odor wasn't even all that bad.

after cleaning , it still stunk.
so I pulled it back and sure enough, low behold, full of urine .
we replaced the pad and fixed it carpet

that experience is the reason I pulled the carpet after our first attempt on the one we just fixed

..L.T.A.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner

is the Quat safe to leave on the carpet, ie spray it down and let it dry without a rinse?

Had a few of these happen this past year. Most were urine, so that was easy, remove and replace.

Had a cleaner here, real cheap bugger, steam clean a residential rental berber. No smell before, but OH MY! the smell afterwards!!!! He had left it wet.
Vacuumed, treated with quatalot, let it dwell for about 40 min, seems the quat likes the dwell time.

Presprayed with a strong O2 soln and H2O2, whittakered, and rinsed with O2 Rinse.

glenboy

Name
GLEN

i believe its the water drying in the carpet just like a wet dish sponge on the counter will dry smelling the same way unless you rinse the dishsoap out before you are done using it.in this whole thread all people say are "wet dog" Wool carpet, i dont have either and i have the same issue,carpet is 6 yrs old and the home was new as well,so why do i have the same problem.too much detergent maybe?? or is the water i am using goin stale as it dries.my upstairs has no odor because i have never cleaned it.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

Ron Werner said:
is the Quat safe to leave on the carpet, ie spray it down and let it dry without a rinse?

donno, but do yourself a favor,... mix a little in a trigger sprayer, spray some down .
Feel it the next day and tell me what it feels like to "you" and if you think it's the type residue you want to leave

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom