What a large ice flow can do in Northern MN

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Just had to share this link. Bad ice flows yesterday on a number of lakes. They had to use a bulldozer to push ice away. On my lake, the wind is a least blowing away from my shoreline and home yet today, but it could change.

It was also opening of the fishing season yesterday...LOL...first time in many years there was 20 inches of ice on the lakes for a MN fishing opener.

http://kstp.com/news/stories/s3030105.shtml

Mark Saiger
www.saigers.com

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Wow, Kirk, that is stunning and sad to see. I hope the sun comes out.

Hi Steve,

Kirk is my younger Brother...LOL...but it is sad and then I wonder, will this be covered by insurance?! I am going to make a few calls to a few adjusters I work with and get their opinion. I wonder if this will be treated as a "Flooding" situation which most do not have coverage for that around here.

"Mark" Saiger

Name
Steve Lawrence
Oh, of course, you're Mark. Sorry. I sometimes confuse you guys.

I'm sure the insurance companies will easily find a way to avoid paying.

"Sorry, you didn't read the fine print."

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
the power of ice is indeed amazing

it's put more than a few TMs out of commission
and made all those lakes up your way

some years ago we had a hard winter followed by an unseasonably warm heavy rain event.
I went steelhead fishing after the break up and was amazed at the size and scope of the HUGE ice chunks that lined the banks.
15-20" thick, 20 x 30ft chunks stacked up 10-15ft high on all the river bends, uprooted large trees and deep gouges everywhere that wasn't hard rock , boulders the size of large cars shoved hundreds of yards down stream , etc

That event changed the creeks substantially

wind water and ice are some of natures most powerful forces

..L.T.A.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Little more damage as a 30 foot wall of ice destroyed numerous homes further north and west of Minnesota in my neck of the woods.

wall_of_ice_20130511_26887693.jpg

Here is a video of same event -

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/huge-wall-of-ice-on-manitoba-lake-demolishes-summer-homes-1.1277673

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom