What are the best wand glides?

allgreen

Mine is wearing out and I need to replace it. When do you replace it? Are holes better than slots? Or is the hybrid style best? I saw some for $99 in one of the trade magazines, anybody buy one of these?

hogjowl

Idiot™
I'm not sure if this is right, but I believe the $99 ones are no longer available, and if they are, they will only be bridgless slot glides. Most here will tell you the hybrid Greenglides are the best. I agree that Greenglides are the best, but my preference is the hole glide.

But, if you order a hole glide, order one WITHOUT the stupid, idiotic, slots on each end. They make a horrible line in cut piles that make you have to groom after cleaning. If you already groom, then no big deal.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
GreenGlides. Talk to Greenie or Lisa @ 866-GET-TEFLON.

I prefer hole glides. Easier to move on carpet and fastest drying carpet.

G

admiralclean said:
I'm not sure if this is right, but I believe the $99 ones are no longer available, and if they are, they will only be bridgless slot glides. Most here will tell you the hybrid Greenglides are the best. I agree that Greenglides are the best, but my preference is the hole glide.

But, if you order a hole glide, order one WITHOUT the stupid, idiotic, slots on each end. They make a horrible line in cut piles that make you have to groom after cleaning. If you already groom, then no big deal.

I get a nlce groomed look from my hybrid,you must get "the Other one" :D

hogjowl

Idiot™
Kevin:
Yes, I get the "other one." It's a Greenie hole glide. If you get one with nothing but holes all the way across, it leaves a great look on the pile, and dries the fastest of all the glides, but when GreenDork started putting a slot on each end of them, it screwed up the "look". You CAN order them without the slot, but if you forget, you'll get the new and "improved" screwed up hole glide.

G

I think it was something like"dust crust"reasoning for the slot on the end

Able 1

Name
Keith
If you don't pre-vacuum get the slot. I like the slot but you can get better dry times out of the other two.

Walt

What is the best Glide?

For what? For best cleaning? For fastest drying?

If you are talking about commercial then I would say holed. Otherwise, you'll get lock down and end up working really hard. Also, for berber and low cut pile they work great. If you don't vac before you clean this is not the glide for you.

For long pile cut pile, frieze and shag, definitely slot. You will not get enough penetration of the fiber with a hole glide. The fiber needs to get sucked up into the wand so that the jets can get deeper in the fiber. Also, a slot glide fluffs carpet better than a hole glide. This is the one for you if don't own a vac or don't like using it.

The hybrid seems to work well enough on the above carpet. My only grip would are lines that it leaves. If you are running a lot of lift and heat, they can be difficult to get out. Also, it's easy to hide spots that didn't come out. (that's either a good thing, or a bad thing depending on who you are). This may be a good choice if you don't want to spend money on having two.

My advice is to get TWO glides. Holed for most carpet to save your back. And a slot glide for nasties and longer pile. You wont regret it.

On drying - I have heard claims that the holed dries carpet the fastest. I have both and can't say that I can tell much of a difference. I think it's possible that the slot may dry carpet a little faster because pulls the carpet more aggressively up. But that is only a guess.

G

After 26 plus years of naked wands; I finally got me a wholed G/G; Man did a doctors office today; And the carpet was dry to the touch. WHen I do this office doc ask for fan dry and dehudifiers; I put them out; but really it didn't need anymore than the a/c to be dry in 2 to 3 hours.

Gonna get a slot and a hybrid' Gotta get some wands outta storage and get them ready for the chimps!! Man those guys are gonna love em. :D :D :D :D :D

ErikG

For the person who does not want to buy 2-3-4 sets of glides what will work with every carpet the best ?

allgreen

Thanks for all the help, I guess I need to order from green glides. That's where I bought the one I have now. Its all holes. The slot that runs across the face of the glide is long gone but the glide still has some meat on it, should I replace it?, its the slot, not the holes or slots that run in to the vacuum area of the wand, but the recessed slot that runs all the way across the face of the holes or slots
Thanks

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Personally I think you've got a lot more wear left on your glide. As the bottom becomes flatter some performance may be lost I think its minimal. I ran one till it was so thin that it broke between the holes. This created a potential snag problem so I tossed it. Go ahead and buy hybrid from Greenie, that way you can see how it works and have a spare on the truck. At least its one toy that actually works and it doesn't take up any room on the truck.

G

Which wand are you useing ?? Mytee may have what you need and save you a few bucks , if not GG has most wands covered .

Joe B. at Wanders had a great selection also and a great price that saved over 100 bucks , but he chose to stop selling pending the court case involving Mytee and HR is resolved.

Post what kind of wand you have and maybe Greenie will respond and confirm if he currently fits that wand .

James

allgreen

I am using a westpak 12" wand. I now green glides sells them, that's where I bought my last one. Now I have to decide- holes? slots? Hybrid? If i learned anything from all this great info, it's not to get the one with the slots on the ends of the glides as most posters are not to fond of that configuration.

Chris A

Name
Chris
John Middleton said:
I hate to do it, but I agree with Merty.

Get Greenie's holed glide WITHOUT the side slots. I find on a lot of wools, they are hard to totally groom out.

Never again with the slots.

John

Well I'm glad there's 2 people in the entire universe now that care about the side slots

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Walt said:
On drying - I have heard claims that the holed dries carpet the fastest. I have both and can't say that I can tell much of a difference.

same here, Walt
I have a notched Ti and can easily change glides

I've done several side by side tests on cut piles in my own home.

What I found is, touching the carpet 2 minutes after cleaning, the hole side "felt" drier than the slot side
(I think that's why so many say what they do)
But I'll bet very few have actually done same room, same time side by side comparisons to know any different.

After 15 minutes, I couldn't tell any difference between the two.
both sides died "completely" in about the same amount of time.

I also know the hole doesn't clean as deep as slot on cut piles.
I got scoffed at when i mentioned that fact.
No matter, cause I "know" what I know.
Others..well..they believe what they want to believe

back on topic, as long as they're in business, the only glide I'll buy will be a genuine GreenGlide.
Simply because they're the best.
Personally, we use a slot 99.9% of the time

..L.T.A.

R

R W

I've got both the hybrid and slotted glides (Greens) for the Ti wand. The slotted are great for us "non-pre-vaccer's), and non groomers....

Greenie

I think Allgreen Charles may have had a "rug glide" it's a modified hole glide, where I machined a shallow channel just on the surface of the glide, connecting the dots, basically it allowed hole glide advantage of extraction on thick rugs, without leaving "lines" from the individual holes in the natural fiber.
The naturals are a lot harder to groom than synthetics, actually once dry, it's impossible, you must re-wet them. Not so bad on low pile wools.

Problem is on day to day wall to wall, a Rug Glide will drive you crazy with stray yarns bridging between one hole and the next, the recessed channel is a gather point...so we try to only sell these to rug guys who understand.

This is the root of the problem with John the kiwi, they do too much wall to wall wool downunder, although they don't have "thick carpet" they do have a lot of wool installations, so we make hole glides (for the two guys on this thread) and the rest of AustralAsia with no edge channels, just holes all the way across, not quite a "rug glide" so they push easier, but don't leave much of a pile lifted pattern as well, very similar to a Slot glide but with much less grab.

Same applies to the UK, the slots and holes w/out channels are very popular, the Hydrids are strictly an American thing.

So pick your poison, 80+ models to choose from.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Just to clarify, the reason I dislike the tiny edge chanels on the holed GG is because of the difficulty it creates in GROOMING WOOL carpets.

I pretty much only clean wall to wall wool and the natural fibres suck up into the end chanel and come grooming time, they don't want to disappear very easily.

Not so with the odd synthetic carpet I clean.

Greenie didn't have any time for a special run for me last time so I got the edge channels... next time I'll wait, happily.

John

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
I experienced this situation today. Couldn't groom the hole glide edge marks out of short, cut-pile wool (a lot of it), even when slightly damp.

I want to go back and make it look better.

My best idea so far is to rewet, maybe with protector while I'm at it, and try to groom the streaks out. Should this work? Any better ideas?

Thanks,

John

ps. How can this be avoided? Set the wand down every few strokes to groom?

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Had both with me. Used the wooden, 4-bristle-row nap brush. Didn't try the rake.

Greenie

well if you couldn't broom out the pile lifting lines while wet, you are screwed, gonna have to do a quick naked wand re-wet to lift all the pile evenly next time, or use a slot glide, or a rug glide, or a hole glide with no edge channels.

the real question is, how many of these do you do?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom