what are your chemical costs per year?

Name
Lee Stockwell
Art's situation illustrates a problem with looking at the wrong "facts". I did the same thing for too long.

He needs a good helper ASAP, with two important benefits that will far outweigh outside labor costs.

With a helper I produce much more....all day.
With a helper your TM produces more...all day, often for less gas than working solo.

If the phone rings, furniture needs moved, or I need a break, production is uninterrupted.

I can chunk out $400 days by myself...dragging.
That easily doubles with $100 worth of help.

Reactions: GreenTechAgain

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Like most here not all were marked correctly as there might be a fitting or filter mixed into the numbers, but we are at 2-3 % but we don't clean as much as most of the guys on here.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

hogjowl

Idiot™
I know there are variables that I haven't considered, but my first thought when I started seeing the 1 and 2% figures being stated was if those guys did much stain removal and protector sales? If all I had to buy was Power Max, my numbers might be that low.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yes on the stain removal and not much protector sales.

I think the reason my numbers are so fooked up (professional term :winky:) is a lot of those restoration numbers require little chemical usage.
WDR & Sewage cleanup we use biocides and disinfectants regularly but the cost of goods used compared to the sale is miniscule. Maybe 1%?

Fire restoration much the same, labor is a much bigger concern that chemical usage.

The guys went out to do a water loss this AM, it looks about average size, it will probably bill out around $2K barring any UN-forseen circumstances.

Chems used 1-gallon if diluted juice $4.00? on a 2k job.

Cleaning 2k worth of carpet will be far more than that. Thus my numbers are lower.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dealtimeman

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Our biggest chem costs are odor chems and Microban type products, if we didn't puchase so much of those we would be less than 1%.

And he's powermax helps ALOT!! As it is pretty hard to not be very profitable unless you live in Arizona and it clumps together with scoop fossils in it.

We don't sell that much protector but when we do, we just use dynachem ultraseal and that again keeps our cost down while using a very effective product that again is very profitable and easy to use.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I know there are variables that I haven't considered, but my first thought when I started seeing the 1 and 2% figures being stated was if those guys did much stain removal and protector sales? If all I had to buy was Power Max, my numbers might be that low.
I don't do protector "sales" but I do buy Scotchgard from JonDon in quantities that last me 2-3 years so as to take advantage of their quantity discount. Spotting chems and deodorizers might cost $4-500 and Grease Eraser and Preaction are another 4-500. A 5 gallon pail of emulsifier will last me several years. I buy a few jugs of powders and liquids at the local Interlink on stock up day to try new things. These are small numbers when compared to gross sales. You learn to use the exact right amount of chemicals when working.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Oh yeah???

So why are you smearing so much mud around with your uber sized over compenasting fleet of mexis using cimexes?

Only the best for all of your money!! Is that your slogan?

Ashamed you must be, grasshopper!! :yoda:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Smiley-Crying.gif

Reactions: Doug Cox

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Art's situation illustrates a problem with looking at the wrong "facts". I did the same thing for too long.

He needs a good helper ASAP, with two important benefits that will far outweigh outside labor costs.

With a helper I produce much more....all day.
With a helper your TM produces more...all day, often for less gas than working solo.

If the phone rings, furniture needs moved, or I need a break, production is uninterrupted.

I can chunk out $400 days by myself...dragging.
That easily doubles with $100 worth of help.

I'd rather pay higher gas costs than have an employee. Sure I could double my sales very quickly but the net wouldn't be much different and the stress and aggravation wouldn't be worth it to me.

Reactions: hogjowl
Name
Lee Stockwell
I'd rather pay higher gas costs than have an employee. Sure I could double my sales very quickly but the net wouldn't be much different and the stress and aggravation wouldn't be worth it to me.
Has been a huge reduction in stress for me. Last year at this time I was out of the country for 2 weeks and all went smooth without me.

I was stupid to be so bull-headed for so long....like you and many other lone wolfs.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Chems are in my QB as "supplies" but that also include small items like "Brass", hoses and such. My supplies were 4.8%.
Our biggest expense is Labor... But there comes a point where--- Not Having Labor is your Biggest Expense---- due to Less capacity, AND loss of potential revenue and market share.
Is IT a Job or a Business?

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I just looked and last year we came in at a whopping 6.43%

I guess I'm buying expensive stuff or use too much compared to some of you.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Not Having Labor is your Biggest Expense---- due to Less capacity, AND loss of potential revenue and market share.
Is IT a Job or a Business?

I don't know if that's a rhetorical question or you want an answer, but yes mine is a very much a business just as yours is. I have a job, also, just like you do, just like a brain surgeon does or a CEO or a janitor or even a housewife does. Everyone has to get up and do their job, otherwise they will be out on the street sleeping under a viaduct. I was thinking about your question today. At two of my four jobs today the customer was middle aged woman ( if their lifespan was 130 LOL) upper middle class. beautiful house; they've had me out for, well longer than I can remember, and they are completely comfortable with the whole endeavor. They are typical of hundreds of my jobs; their family members call me, their friends and neighbors do also. Who do you think they would rather have in their home doing the job, an O/O with decades of experience and mad skills, or a couple of anonymous $15/hr techs who may only have 2 months experience or make extra money by "upselling", which is really annoying. This is just a rhetorical question.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
I don't know if that's a rhetorical question or you want an answer, but yes mine is a very much a business just as yours is. I have a job, also, just like you do, just like a brain surgeon does or a CEO or a janitor or even a housewife does. Everyone has to get up and do their job, otherwise they will be out on the street sleeping under a viaduct. I was thinking about your question today. At two of my four jobs today the customer was middle aged woman ( if their lifespan was 130 LOL) upper middle class. beautiful house; they've had me out for, well longer than I can remember, and they are completely comfortable with the whole endeavor. They are typical of hundreds of my jobs; their family members call me, their friends and neighbors do also. Who do you think they would rather have in their home doing the job, an O/O with decades of experience and mad skills, or a couple of anonymous $15/hr techs who may only have 2 months experience or make extra money by "upselling", which is really annoying. This is just a rhetorical question.

If its a Job-- then u ONLY make money when u show up for work.
If its a Business-- then u have employees and can make money while on vacation-- like im doing now.

But Maybe O/O can do it cheaper due to lower overhead... and in many cases maybe a better job then employees-- but it all depends on the character of the person, whether employee or owner, performing the work.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
My business doesn't vanish when I go on vacation. It's there when I come back. How enjoyable is your vacation when your employees screw up or don't show up while you're in that hotel pool?

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
My business doesn't vanish when I go on vacation. It's there when I come back. How enjoyable is your vacation when your employees screw up or don't show up while you're in that hotel pool?

Very Enjoyable-- they are paid on commission. . If they dont work--they dont get paid. The other day a machine was acting up-- Tech took it to the mechanic and got it fixed-- no truck-no money.
I have to put out very few "Fires" while on vacation. But once home-- let the drama begin.
If been know to say-- " why does this business run better without me!" Haha

steve_64

i started hiring helpers here and there just before i lost my license, then i was forced to have someone with me.

i would much rather work alone but i did enjoy having help with me too. i see the value in both scenarios.

Reactions: Art Kelley

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom