What can we use in between cleanings?

Name
Swani
Is a question I'm always asked. Coming up I've got some upholstery to clean that the owner was using Dawn Dishsoap. I've had tiled showers and floors where the owners used vinegar, mop n glo or other crap they buy at the big stores. My most recent clean the customer asked me if I could give her some of my industrial stuff to use. So I'm curious what you guys tell your customers to use in between cleanings. I try to educate on the importance of having us come out to clean on a timely manner, but lets face it, a lot of people wait till it's to late and have already tried some DIY product or mix they saw youtube. I would like to get my repeats setup so I know what they're using and what I'm coming into. What type of products do you guys recommend your customers to use when you're not there?

FredC

Village Idiot
Why not your company's custom spotter?

Last edited:
Name
Swani
Why not your company's custom spotter?

I like that idea! I've been giving out the Avenge ones from Interlink without my logo on them and have been getting good feedback.

sassyotto

Name
Paul
I leave a bottle of StainX with each customer. They LOVE it, been giving it away since I can remember (30+ years in biz) and more cost effective than the ones listed above

Agree with blotting with water first. Also for customers with pets, I recommend them getting a small spotting machine (like Little Green Machine)

Once I get a website up and running will have all sorts of spotting information on it. (man, am I a dinosaur)

Reactions: Living The Dream

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
The key to convey to the homeowner is use as little as possible. Try to get them to understand using more than necessary will cause resoling.

It doesn't take half a bottle of resolve(or whatever) to remove some dirt from the dogs foot.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I recommend Biokleen Bac out for carpet spots. Easy to rinse, neutral PH and won't discolor the carpet. It's also one of the less sticky spotters and it's available in all the local hippie stores.

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
I tell them to mop tiled areas and hard resilient hard flooring, lino and vinyl with Hot water, a cup of cloudy ammonia and a cup of clear methylated spirits.

The ammonia and alcohol are volatile and won't cause resoling.

For shower areas whee the consumer can rinse I advise to use whatever bathroom cleaner they like at retail.

Carpets I advise to try first with a white cotton cloth and rubbing alcohol patting to spot not rubbing. If that fails try water. If that fails call a professional.

Name
Swani
I tell them to mop tiled areas and hard resilient hard flooring, lino and vinyl with Hot water, a cup of cloudy ammonia and a cup of clear methylated spirits.

The ammonia and alcohol are volatile and won't cause resoling.

For shower areas whee the consumer can rinse I advise to use whatever bathroom cleaner they like at retail.

Carpets I advise to try first with a white cotton cloth and rubbing alcohol patting to spot not rubbing. If that fails try water. If that fails call a professional.
Great info thank you!

Reactions: GeeeAus
Name
Swani
I've been giving out the Avenge spotters, but when I went to Interlink today they had these nifty little Procyon spotters they gave me for free. Anyone used these? 20190104_173142.jpg

Reactions: Cleanworks

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
For carpet I give a free spotter every cleaning. A 32 oz bottle, because we are all shallow (:winky:) and are highly impressed by size and packaging. Mine is a custom spotter (larger expense but worth it for me) because I ain't advertising for anybody else. Yes, some provide you with a tiny (miniature, as in bring your own microscope) space to put your co. name & # on. I just want the entire bottle to advertise for- "Moi", just selfish that way :icon_redface:

I say nothing about spotting upholstery because unless all your clients have is polyester sofas, they can do a lot of damage. Even on poly you'd better teach them how to feather water rings stains, cause, trust me, they will need it. You'd be surprised how crazy clients can get when desperation strikes and or a stain does not "cooperate". They got a spot on their sofa- call me or you're on your own. Totally uninterested in buying their damaged sofa.

Every manufacturer has a site that gives instructions on how to make your own spotter etc. and the right spotting techniques. Send them a link. That way they have it and if they cause damage it ain't your problem.

Like this for wool (and you can find similar for synthetic):
http://www.cavbrem.co.nz/carpet-care/stain-guide-for-wool.aspx

http://www.woolsafe.org/stain-wizard/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom