00000IMG_00000_BURST20190426122950379_COVER.jpg
MVIMG_20190426_104507.jpg
IMG_20190426_104447.jpg
IMG_20190426_104452.jpg

Reactions: Living The Dream

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Yeah, that explains the looks of deterioration if that what i am looking at. Very reactive with lots of chems.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Holy crap, is that countertop limestone also? If so, is that all really bad acid etching from cutting up lemons for the annual Gardnerville Lemon festival?

Last edited:

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Whatever that gypsum silica looking countertop is, it looks disgusting. A breeding ground for bacteria and botulism.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
No it doesn't explain it as Onyx is not acid sensitive
I thought it was, its not a form of marble? I thought certain types of stone are very reactive to chems to various range of ph cleaners and thus bad idea to use as countertops for that reason. They just fall apart.

Mikey P

Administrator
Leathered Finish on the countertop
Boink!

but it started off as a polished Onyx countertop that the homeowner requested to be leathered with the tile fabricator company promising them something that can't be done. They used a "three brush orbiter machine" of some sorts that they couldn't fully describe to the point where I understood what it was, but basically tried to do it by hand and obviously missed all sorts of areas and Onyx being a smooth stone shouldn't be leathered,unlike granite that is very grainy and takes to a lettering type finish beautifully

revitalize

Name
adrian
Well they could knock it down and hone it if they don't like finished result. Some of the fabricators take uninstalled stone to the guys who shot blast headstones for some of that effect. Finally, quartz manufacturers are now offering matte and leathered finishes on some of their products at seriously premium prices. Are you guys on the coasts starting to run into a fair bit of this type of product?

https://www.neolith.com/en/

Reactions: Mikey P

steve_64

I saw it on a home remoldeing show.

First thought was why?
Why make it harder to clean in a kitchen. I want smooth hard surfaces where I eat and wash my ass.

revitalize

Name
adrian
I saw it on a home remoldeing show.

First thought was why?
Why make it harder to clean in a kitchen. I want smooth hard surfaces where I eat and wash my ass.
Style... As I like to tell some of the people who install these items who complain how they look, "We would be awfully hungry contractors if the products weren't sold as fashion." In our case as cleaners, ;) way harder to clean, its going to cost an arm and a leg.

Reactions: steve_64

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom