What do you use for measuring SQft?

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
I saw this rolling stick that seems to work well.But there are also laser measuring devices available.Those seem really cool and accurate but I'm not sure if customers might have a problem trusting such a device ( or me) because you can't really tell if they are accurate unless you compare the result with a regular tape measure.What do you guys use when you measure a home?

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
uh huh...but what happens when you are only doing part of the room.....say like the middle between beds, or dressers or the like....

those laser ones have to HIT something to get a read back

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Fat Max by stanley. Don't waste your money on a cheap $20 laser tape. They are "sonic" laser tapes, and are inaccurate. Pay the money for a good true laser tape. They will run around $100.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
I just found a used Stanley rolling tape measure on e-bay for 20.- incl shipping.Seems like a good good deal and a place to start.So many little things I still need and it all adds up.The good laser ones are a little more than I expected.I'll probably get a laser device once I start making some money.

Chris Rudd

i use the disto by leica, the thing is extremely accurate, kinda pricey though. i like the function which allows you to add or subtract measurements. its awesome!

Chris Rudd

cmaster

Name
Paul Budnik
Steve in Omaha said:
Paul,

You own one of those bad boy Lascolaser's? Did you pay the 299? How do you like it?

Thanks,

I bought it a couple of years ago. I love it. Dead accurate to 300' although we seldom measure anything that big. I beleive I paid $279 for it. The Fat Max from Stanley is the same unit that only measures up to 100' for $100. we have one of those also. Great tools.

G

Do it like that Kanadian did. The customers will love you for it..and think they will go out and buy their own until you tell them that they cost $350.

Then their eyes get big and then the smile comes. I get bigger smiles from using a disto than pre-vacing.

Chad

Al

Fat Max by Stanley!

We have 2, they are awesome ...99. bucks.

Customers are impressed by the technology.

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
FYI the rolling tape measures are inaccurate. I've run this test myself on a hallway with regular commercial short looped carpet and the short cutpile carpet installed on either edge.

I ran the rolling tape down the hallway twice. 89 ft one way 97 the other.

So I did it again. 86 feet one way 94 the other.

Then I used my trusy tape measure. 90ft exact.

Over time that difference adds up. Your either ripping yourself off or the custy.

Depending on which way the nap is laying and which way your roll to measure your going to come up with different figures.

I did this experiment for a new boss who had always used the rolla tapes and when I told him they were crap he objected.

Which way did we measure after that? Tape Measure

But then I purchased a Leica Disto because I figured I do this all the time why not have the best tool to do it with.

I've never looked back.

Jeff

Name
Jeff Sybert
I'm with Charles and Al, love the FatMax and the customers all seem very impressed as well.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
MicahR said:
FYI the rolling tape measures are inaccurate.

Depending on which way the nap is laying and which way your roll to measure your going to come up with different figures.

I did this experiment for a new boss who had always used the rolla tapes and when I told him they were crap he objected.

Which way did we measure after that? Tape Measure

Listen to this guy, he knows what he is talking about.

I still get about one or two customers a week saying, "What you need is one of those wheel thingies..."

I say, "I have several of them, they are not accurate, and I want to charge you a fair price... They used a tape measure when they built your house, so I'll use one to measure it..."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom