What else causes spots like this?

Brian H

Name
Brian H
These spots have a lot of the same characteristics of a benzoyl peroxide contamination. The orange look on a tan-brown carpet, it slowly appeared over time, a couple of dots where it's much more intense, etc. The spots are all over in the master bedroom, some more noticeable then others.

The problem is it's and elderly couple's house and they don't have anyone using any type of lotions or skin/acne medication. They also have a couple of young dogs that they claim are not on any type of medication, etc.

Have you heard of any other products that can cause this type of problem?

View attachment 3825
View attachment 3826
View attachment 3824

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
How much sunlight does that room receive? I've seen products like spot shot cause this issue.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The dog didn't vomit and the stomach acid discolor it? or Could the dog have peed on the carpet when the old people ......the dog or the old people had an accident? :winky:

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Some fungal creams for athlete's foot or similar issues also contain benzoyl peroxide or variations of that. It may be the same reaction but not from acne medication. This can be used on people's feet, or canine issues like mange.

Also could be from some off the shelf oxy cleaning products.

Name
I'm Rick James
I am thinking it is their house cleaner using a product that is changing the color of the carpet.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
There doesn't appear to be any urine in the carpet, at least not that my nose can detect. The customer also says the dogs have not had any accidents aside form a vomit spot or two.

Only moderate sunlight in that room, but the spots are through out the room.

I just spoke with her again and she says they don't use any type of athletes foot or anti fungal lotion. She is also now noticing the spots in her entry lever living room and family room. She says it is in areas that do not have any real traffic at all.

Initially she was thinking it was something we did, but the more spots she sees that are slowly materializing, the more she knows it is a problem originating in her home.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
Toilet bowl cleaner? Or maybe mopping the bathroom floor with something bleachy and then tracked residue through on to carpet? What did the carpet where it meets the bath floor look like?

I just remembered a customer having the same looking discolorations .. she denied using anything but I saw this product on top of her washer machine (near the garage entrance)from the dollar store for pet stain removal .. can't remember the name but the discolorations started showing up after my guy did the cleaning .. its in a red bottle

Last edited:

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
the answer is probably in the medicine cabinet or where ever they keep cleaning products. Because of the variance of sizes my guess is a cleaning product with oxy in it.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
My issue is we mix up a light prespray spray evenly the whole carpet then rinse the whole carpet!

If it were us wouldn't it happen every where and not just random spots????

The Lady I turned over to our insurance tried to get another free room but got denied she hasn't taken the settlement yet.

My insurance is about to close the file, waiting to get served by her dumb butt because she wants more more more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Beside the top picture, the discolored areas are too large to be just dripping.
Somebody is using some product that should not be used on the carpet or something got spilled. Whether remembering or being aware of it or not.

As mentioned, we've all seen Resolve do it. So does Folex, or many "under the kitchen sink" products.
The benzoil or other creams do not make much sense to me, as the stains are round and large (seem to come from large spills or being sprayed on.)

Of course, them being elderly, could be that they just don't remember exactly what they did, but that my friend, opens up a whole new subject :winky:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron K

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
How about somebody get some of that carpet and try and recreate the discoloration .. do a video we could show customers on how these products cause this kind of damage

Looks like Home Depot carpet

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
That could be from Oxy clean which I've seen do that, dog pee, throw up, any type of spotter the homeowner uses

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Thanks for all the thoughts on this issue.

As a lot of you have suggested, it is obviously something in her home that is causing the problem and I would it if I could nail it down to a particular product.

I have not seen any OXY type products turn the carpet an orange color with the exception of benzoyl peroxide. Have any of you seen this type of orange coloring from OXY cleaning products?

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
That could be from Oxy clean which I've seen do that, dog pee, throw up, any type of spotter the homeowner uses

Resolve

Oxy Clean is handy as long as you ain't fillin your HF wit it : )

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
calcium chloride? them and or the pets tracking it in.

Hey, Is there a Pool around?

Makes me wonder if someone came in from a pool and dripped all over the carpet what would happen?

wait, it would have to be an indoor pool in this case : )

Name
jack zerkie
The standard answer from the home owner is I don,t know what it is or how it happened. It,s your job to fix it.My answer is that I can make a dark spot lighter, but I can,t make a light spot darker for a normal cleaning. jz.

Reactions: GCCLee

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Thanks again for every one's help.

Just to clarify, the spots on the carpet are not caused by chlorine bleach. Chlorine bleach turns nylon yellow. She actually has a couple of spots where she did drip chlorine bleach just outside her main bathroom and they are yellow.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Brian, as the experienced CC executive that you are, I think you know: It is long time and over due for the third degree with those clients.

Agent Jack Bauer would have gotten the truth out of them a long time ago.

Last edited:

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Brian, as the experienced CC executive that you are, I think you know: It is long time and over due for the third degree with those clients.

Agent Jack Bauer would have gotten the truth out of them a long time ago.

Too funny Ofer!!

I am pretty thorough with my initial and even follow up questions when we do have issues like this. One of the things I have learned over the years is to let the customer talk and listen to what they are saying, or more importantly , what they are NOT saying.

This is most assuredly a problem with something in the customer's home. I knew it the moment I saw it. The easiest way to convince them of it is to point to a specific product and say "see, it says right here on the bottle that it may bleach fabric". If you don't have the smoking gun, then it's more circumstantial evidence.

At this point I will be letting the customer know that there is no way we caused the problem and there is nothing we can do to correct it. As she is already observing from my initial inspection, the problem will only continue to get worse. I will suggest that she contact her insurance agent to see if she is covered for something like this.

On another note, I have had insurance companies try to subrogate against us to recover their costs on claims in the past. I find that for the most part it is a fishing expedition to see if we can be bullied into paying. A nice letter back, citing all the evidence and expertise on our part usually makes that go away pretty quick!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom