what equipment have you found to be poorly made??

steve g

Name
steve garrett
mine is the mytee windstorm air movers I bought, fortunatly I only bought 2 of them, but within a few months the speed switch went out, the power cord is a POS, and now one of them is completly done for. the design is also a poor one, as it has the motor mounted out on one side of the air mover this causes it to almost always tip over when in the truck because it is balanced all wrong. I have been the only one to use the air movers and usually only use them when I am out of the rest of what I have, as an O/O I feel I am not as ruff on stuff as a chimp would be, I have many drieaz air movers even the cheap discontinued rebels and haven't had a single problem with any of them . in 5 years of steady use on water damage, I also have an off brand beater air mover that I paid 5 bucks for at a garage sale that has held up better. mytee piece of shit is what the name autta be

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
The turbo cat vacuum head seems to be a POS. It screams so loud I have to wear ear protection while using it.

The suction is awesome, sucks dirt from the crawl space, but can't stand the noise.

Mikey P

Administrator
Just about every Pump Up sprayer I ever bought

Hesco 13" rotary

Recoil HP

Anything with the letters P M F stamped on it.

Aero Tech built rectangular Fresh Tanks.

Ken Glides.

Magazine based Bulletin Boards.

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
That yellow thingy you use to guide the solution hose back on the reel.

Hard as a rock and makes the roll up look like crap. Anyone want mine. Jondon wouldn't take it back.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Jim,
the TurboCat is designed for built-in home vacuum systems, not for use with a truckmount. If it screams like jet on takeoff, you're close to melting the bearing housing. You have to use these with a vacuum relief to get them to slow down. That being said, the old gray ones are far better than the new and improved black ones, which I'll agree are not worth buying.

PowerFlite air movers don't stand up to much either, but they're cheap. After having one catch fire and burn a hole in the shop floor, we decided that Ya gets what ya pays for and maybe they weren't cheap enough to be worth burning something down.

Name
La Canada Carpet Cleaning
old blue CCS

CCS machine from 2001 POS big time, looks like it was made in the 50s

Heavy ,no dead man switch, needs a big lawsuit for that deal

Vince

brocksdad

I bought one of those US products porty's and it had three "circuit boards" in it one for the soft start vacuum motor so it slowly revs up. One for the water pump you now because an unload-er is far to complicated they put a resistor on the pump to rev it up. then the third one was for the heater what ever it was for. The the wand had 2 .015 jets on it so it could maintain its legendary 212 degree heater. The circuit boards couldn't get wet or oops their goes 90 bucks plus shipping, plus it is out of commission until UPS can get it to you.

Thank goodness for eBay I was able to find some one else as dumb as me that believed the hype about the great heat of the HHP 300.

markmark

Steve G.
You are right on about those mytee blowers. They are P.0.S.'s ! Talk about a "stackable design".....yes they do stack, but not if you have the power cord around the handle (only place to wrap the cord). If you do have the balls to stack them (in the desert heat) then the housings will warp and the fan-drum will rub on the housing (really impressive to customers, lol). Not to mention that it takes 50 pounds of force to stack them and 80 pounds of force to unstack them. They really suck!! I know a guy that bought 40 of them and had to sell them within 1 year. $100.00 fans are not a good thing......probably like a $20.00 wand.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
RDM

Rotovac

Flexible vac hose. Will not work with 2.5" Vortex. Sucks it shut!!

My Powerflite fan flew down 15 steps, slammed into the wall and punched a 12" hole in the sheet rock. Fan still works good.

Greenie

"Ya gets what ya pays for and maybe they weren't cheap enough to be worth burning something down."

Ya know it kills me, when people keep saying' don't buy that Mytee crap, and so many still do.
Kills me even worse when a Distributor promotes it knowing damn well it's crap.

Buy cheap buy twice is my quote of the month.

Why do people listen to BS claims like porties that make boiling water on demand, even an 8th grade science student realizes that isn't possible at 1 gpm.

Next on the list is TM manufacturers that demo their units with a pair of 02 flow jets in a 1.5" wand, do they realize that is a portable wand?

On the TurboCat issue, turn the rpm down on your TM to pre-vcacuum with, save gas.

The TurboCat is one of the best tools we have at our disposal, it exhaust all odors and soils out to your truck, not into the room!

Never needs bags or dirt cup changes.
It has the potential to use TWICE the cfm of any other vacuum on the planet, all the while still keep your unit running 1/2 speed.
More airflow = simply cleaner.
Requires NO electricity, very handy!
They are super low profile to get under beds and such, the handle breaks down, and stores away not taking up a single foot of van space.

We used to prevac with one tech, and prespray with the other, all while the units was just at a high idle and warming up, it's simply a money maker for $120
And no you don't need a dustdowner, that is what the pantyhose over the blower filter is for, blowers are tough.

Vincent, that yellow hosebuddy cracks me up.

Mikey P

Administrator
Hose Buddy....
Good lord what the hell is the matter with a rag?

We had a power outage today so I had to whip out my Turbo...

You should see/hear that thing run off my set up.... :shock:

-JB-

Name
JB
How about disposable booties?
We used to use/give out the white, more pricey ones till they kept snapping rubber bands when you'd put them on, so I decide if I could only use them once anyhow I'd go with the blue ones, recent shipments of those tear practically when you look at them.
So back to the white ones, better than nothing I suppose.
I'd like some kind of durable washable ones for us on the truck, ain't seen them yet.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
markmark said:
Steve G.
You are right on about those mytee blowers. They are P.0.S.'s ! Talk about a "stackable design".....yes they do stack, but not if you have the power cord around the handle (only place to wrap the cord). If you do have the balls to stack them (in the desert heat) then the housings will warp and the fan-drum will rub on the housing (really impressive to customers, lol). Not to mention that it takes 50 pounds of force to stack them and 80 pounds of force to unstack them. They really suck!! I know a guy that bought 40 of them and had to sell them within 1 year. $100.00 fans are not a good thing......probably like a $20.00 wand.

I paid a lot more than $100 a pop for these 2. The turbo cat does suck, greenie loves them, I can see he hasn't vacuumed up very many pennies with his or small screws either. the place I worked at in texas I litterly could not keep the turbo cats running on the 5 trucks we had, I had a massive boneyard of spare parts, and if the guys had actually used them on every job I would of had to rebuild one on a daily basis. If someone would make a turbo cat that had a metal impeller and housing as well as a sealed greasable bearing for the impeller, it would be the finest vac on the planet for our application

brocksdad

Dude just get one of those 12 dollar magnetic strips and screw it on the front. it saves a lot of frustration. I have them on every vacuum I have ever owned.

Vincent buy a 6 inch piece of pipe insulation from a hardware store if you like the idea of that hose thing

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
If someone would make a turbo cat that had a metal impeller and housing as well as a sealed greasable bearing for the impeller, it would be the finest vac on the planet for our application

Steve
You right, I like the tool, it's just designed for homeowners. We have our own bone yard of turbo tools, they just don't hold up to daily use.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I remember talking to a manufacturer interested in building a heavy duty version of the TurboCat at a trade show a few years ago. He asked what we'd pay for a stronger unit, and what we'd like to see for features.

I told him it would have to be metal internally, built to withstand being dropped, and handle the airflow from a truckmount without melting. Heavier would be a good thing. If it worked and could be warranted to last five years I might pay as much as $500 for it.

The following year he said he'd dropped the idea due to a lack of interest from cleaners. He said everyone he talked to wanted what I wanted, but for $200 or less, and the ones willing to pay more were too few to be worth the cost of R&D, much less tooling for production.

Greenie

pennies? screws?

You guys need better customers...lol

seriously, I did some impromptu testing, as long as you turned the TM down to a reasonable speed, the turbos do well.

I always hear about guys launching a penny through the housing, this tells me the technicians are running the turbos full speed.

btw: there is a NEW turboCat as we speak out right now.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The "new" TurboCat (black plastic case in place of gray) has a bearing that will overheat and melt through the top of the case within a few uses. The Turbo folks said they'd send us replacements, and we traded our five melted heads for three of the "Zoom" models.

So far so good, but they've only been in the field for a few weeks.

brocksdad

My step-dad has a white magic that has had 4 heat exchangers in his. I would have given up on the heat exchanger after replacing it once if it was me I would have just put a little giant on it been done with the whole thing

Greenie

Shawn to my understanding Topics like this are at home here, this is the closest we've had to a consumer reports post in awhile.

Back
Top Bottom