What got you started in the business?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
What made you become a part of this industry? What were you last doing when you decided this was where you wanted to be?

If you were working for another cleaner, what did you do before you worked for them as well.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I was a builder/joiner and running a 19 man workshop. Got out for health reasons. Wood dust flaring up my asthma.

Dad had an established CC business of about 8 years and wanted a helper. I joined for 'a year or so' till I found out what I wanted to do long term. I ended up doing a few courses and got hung on the restoration stuff. CC doesn't do much for me but the challenges of water and fire stuff did.

I stayed with Dad for 2-3n years until they decided to sell up and move back to New Zealand.

I came ahead and started my own business. Dad came over but was not able to join at the time as it wasn't quite to that stage. He went into another business and is now looking at selling that to come back with us.

I like it for the freedom that it gives me. I'm earning enough that my wife doesn't HAVE to work. She does a bit here and there to keep her nursing registrations etc. I usually get to have Breakfast with my family, leave about 8.30. Home 4 out of 5 days for about an hour luch break and then home by 6 each night to again have tea with my wife and girls.

I take a minimum of 3-4 weeks annual leave a year with a solid break of 2+ weeks in one go and then a number of long weekends throughout the rest of the year.

I couldn't do most of this stuff if I worked for someone else.

Yes it has it's ties and down sides, but I've told my wife "Don't you ever let me sell this business when I'm having a bad trot'. There will be times that I wished I didn't have it but they are less than 5% of the year.

John

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Jim, you almost need to ask a twin thread titled WHY DO YOU STAY IN THIS BUSINESS?

Or do a poll with a few options like:-

I love the industry and the freedom it gives me.
I love my boss/environment at work.
I hate it but it pays my bills.
I stay because what else would I do?
I can't get out, I'd loose too much money.

John

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
The power is in your hands, John. Feel free to start a new topic right now!

I might tell my story a bit later. Suffice to say that I wanted nothing to do with this business as a young man. It just grows on you though, and next thing you know, you love it.

My parents own 7 resturants in Boston and I was a spoiled little kid and wasnt doin much...Until Dad decided to retire and wanted me to take over the biz.

Seeing how he worked like mad for years with no days off scared me away ( I didnt want that lifestyle)...I panicked and had to find something to do fast !!so, I dont haveta take over the family biz...

I went to trade school and got my Oil burner license...Did that for a bit. Then I moved on to trying my hands at plumbing ( I sucked at it!) and found it wasnt for me, Then I saw a ad in the newspaper for a CC tech position at SEARS. Signed up and worked for them for about a year....and now here I am.

G

I guess there is no one answer

Dee Dee and I had graduated from college and did not want to work for anyone. I had a degree in Marketing and she had a degree in Communications. We lived in a Studio apartment in Lisle, IL, no kids, with a roommate and we both worked as managers and ended up saving $5000 in 7 months. It is easy to do when you live in a Studio apartment with a roommate. I got a mailer from Service Master one day and the prices for carpet cleaning were very attractive to me (not the consumer, but as a carpet cleaner). There really aren't too many businesses you can start with $5000. We lived in a good part of town and now that good part of town is the second largest city in Illinois (Naperville). For the 1st few years, Dee Dee and I worked at Connies pizza at night. She waitressed and I delivered pizza. In the Day time, we worked on the business. So, I guess the answer to your question, there really were a lot of reason. Plus, we were young and stupid (just kidding).

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I was doing new construction clean up and turn over apartment cleaning as a little side supplement income. Hired people to do most of the work. I seen the carpet cleaner come in and clean the carpet and make more money for it.

So I was stupid and went out and bought a portable. Didn't want to wheel the portable up and down the stairs so I had this 6'6" 350 lbs football player that worked for me hold it. He use to hold the portable, half way up the stairway, while I would clean the carpet. Portable hose was only 25' long and would not reach all the was to the far bedrooms

For fun during down times we use to wrestle him. Could never get him off his feet and he would carry us a couple of us around on his back.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
My favorite description of my life as a 20 year old:

"What am I to do ...? I am not strong enough to dig, I am ashamed to beg." Luke 16:3

So from that basic starting point into a one man janitorial service (started it with an investment of 75.00- I still have the receipt- used floor machine, used mop buckets, used mops, you get the idea- just don't tell Jim P or my boss, Nick Paolella).

Then started cleaning carpets, built our own TM (big mistake) hired employees (bigger mistake because we didn't do it right), went up and down and then into Restoration, etc. Too stubborn or too stupid to quit.

Finally in 1991 we were doing 750K yearly in a market base of 30,000 people. (That will separate the men from the boys.) Woke up and said to Sioux, "This has been a great ride. But I don't want to do it anymore." So six months later to the day I sold the business (for 97% cash up front) and retired. (I was 38.)

What a great industry says I. (To quote Rawknee.)

Steve Toburen CR
Director of Training
Jon-Don's Strategies for Success

PS Upon reflection, Jim, my answer was a little more complicated than your question called for. Memories will do that to you. Speaking of memories, Jim, I heard your Dad speak several times in the 70's and he was a big influence in my business.

Anyway, I went into this business because of three things:

1. Low entry cost.
2. Many of my friends were in the cleaning industry.
3. Just plain chance. I had NO idea when I was in high school I would spend a career in cleaning up after others.

Speaking of "cleaning up" many have asked how I was able to retire at such an early age. I've done up a Special Report called "Cleaning Up: Building Personal Wealth In the Cleaning Industry." It is based on my experience and the "down in the trenches" stories of many of our SFS members. If anyone wants an e-mailed copy (it is around 70 pages long) just write me at stoburen@homefrontsuccess.com I hope it will help some.

Rob Lyon

Name
Rob Lyon
17 Years working for the big guys, I decided to give it all I can
and I don't regret it, I only wish I had done it sooner.

WISE

Bartender til 27. Trading stocks in the hey day late 90's. Took $2000 off a credit card and traded for about 18 months. Had it up to about $350k. Did a very complex options play with $80k--if it hit payoff $1.6 mil. However, did not hit it! Traded a little more, lost a little more, built it back; lost a bit. Summer of 99 just didn't think the market was making any rational sense. Cashed out.

Quit bartending and bought an existing full service car wash. It was doing $450k a year and losing about $7k a month. Had it profitable in about 3 weeks; first year $755k. Next year $1.18mil. One of the services we added to build the top line was carpet and upholstery cleaning in cars...but the crappy portables we had just wasn't cutting it. So bought a TM. Averaged about $800 a day in mats/carpets/seats. Van never moved. (Damn that was nice!) Then started thinking "I see about 300 people a day here...they have houses...if they wash their car, they must take care of their house." Bought another TM and began marketing to the car wash clientele.

The next year a bigger player in the car wash world wanted my spot in the middle of what is called the "auto-mile" (every car dealership--we were right in the middle of em). At the time, I did not want to sell...however, I also owned a bar (The Pour House--sold it 17 months after opening for 3x investment. Cash flow positive from day 1--still open today, new owners built it up more and moved to bigger place). Also for 3 Christmas seasons we (had a partner in bar and this marketing co) operated Simply Certificates--one of the best ideas I have been involved with...should probably do it again.

Anyway--the guy bought the car wash and I backed out the carpet cleaning company--renamed it to Ashley River Carpet Care and for the first time had only one business to operate. LOVE IT! ADDICTED!

I had always felt I would take businesses from scratch or struggling...build them up and sell them. Did it several times. There is more money to be made with this model. However, I just simply love this business! At some point-the right guy will have the opportunity to run it as his own and I will step out and do something new. But I don't see me completely selling this one.

So that's my whole history in a convoluted nutshell! Man its been fun...can't wait for tomorrow---Besides loving what I do;

Tomorrow will make 6 years with Amber--the only thing I love more than my business.

:) WISE

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
In 1970, at 20 years old, I started Rochester Steam Way Carpet Cleaning in Rochester, Minnesota. I actually fell into the, then new, steam carpet cleaning business by accident. After painting for a couple years and then trying commission sales jobs, I was really just looking for a job and had no thought of being self employed. A couple investors were wanting to buy several of these new process portable Steam Way machines, each costing $5000 at the time, which in 1970 was not a bad yearly salary. About 6 of us in different towns were asked to run these machines in a new business. We where chosen because we were all of the same religion. We wouldn't be required to buy the machine, but we would have to give up 50% of the gross, which required honesty. The fellow setting us up also got a percentage. After about 8 months, I was the only one still going. There just was not enough money to split 3 ways. I then was given the opportunity to buy the machine for myself and I have been cleaning ever since. I have stayed a one man single truck for 37 years, and have no intention of growing larger.

Loren

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I was doing a painting side job for a friend and another friend showed up to clean the carpets. I was amazed at how they came out. I am not a salesman but I knew that I could sell something like this. So I made a deal with the evil one, my wife, and I started a CC service.

Mikey P

Administrator
@ 21 I got my wife pregnant.

She knew the $.4.65 an hour I was making as a line cook was not gonna cut it so she sent me on a job interview at Millers Carpet Care who promised I could make up to $800 per week.

The Preacher

LACK OF $$$$!!!LOL

i started cleaning carpet for a mom and pop company out of the Navy in '86 and have enjoyed it ever since.

i've owned my present company since 2001

G

My life revolved around golf. Playing.. competing.. teaching..

I worked a p/t floor care biz for the officers barracks while in the army all during the 80's.
I worked on the grocery store floors while in High school.. after hours.

I thought VCT and janitorial was alright. I grew up with a paint brush in my hand.. and always supported the family biz when out of the army and going to college and thereafter. I love painting.. and still own and do it.... all the while dreaming about my golf passion.. or what I thought was a passion. People on the PGA tour dream about my golfing talent.. but it just wasnt a passion for me. It was just 'alright'.. and that doesnt cut it for me. I knew I had a passoin out there .. and I found it one day when

I stopped in to talk golf with a buddy cleaning a restaurant.. he was working on a spot.. and his wand was lying idle..
I picked it up, helped him finish his job.. went with him to his next.. next and next.. for FREE. I couldnt get enuf. (and still can't)... and from right then and there.. I was hooked. Better than playing in the MASTERS... (my dream).. better than sex.. Just a little better than painting (at that time).. My body just jolted.. like I was being electrocuted..

I had been touched by the cleaning GOD... I had right then and there met my calling.. and was introduced to my passion. I quit playing golf (for the most part).. dumped all my women.. and have been happily married to this ever since. I cant get enuf.

I have never looked back.. (1999).. And cleaning comes before any of you.. God, family & friends. Lord help you if I'm on my way to clean.. and I see you drowning and you need me to throw you a floating device. lol
I ain't stopping. Its funny, but I'm serious. I'll trade my soul to the devil.. just let me clean until I die.. and whatever can take place after that.

I still feel this way today.. DAmn.. what a gig. It's a drug and I NEED my fix.. I can work 24/7/365, and it gets better and better.

You can have all the money.. just let me flat out clean.. Someone has to be the TIGER WOODS of cleaning.. and I'm willing to make the commitment. Are you? Are you willing to die for this gig?
I'll fight you to the death for the wand. Straight up.

And when I have to step back.. as paratrooping and walking enuf golf holes to take me to China will dictate.. I want (you can laugh).. to be a motivational speaker for carpet cleaning industry and to techs in general.... and to teach this gig with what I hope is an unparelleled passion. ( a twist of Mike Vernon meets Doug Heifferman multiplied by 100)..You will want to sit in my class.. Trust me..
So book in advance.

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
My days in a telecom career were coming to an end. Didn't have a clue what I was going to do. In my head I was building houses, driving truck, tuning pianos.

Carpets at home needed cleaning and a buddy had an old Kent he borrowed to me. No prespray just Ultrapac mixed heavy in the rinse. That sucker had so many leaks it only recovered about 30% of the water (figured that was ok), carpets stunk for a week.

While I was cleaning with this piece of junk I started thinking maybe I could do this for a living. Went to see a janitor I knew to tell him about my idea, he suggested I take a cc course through the IICRC. Did that and no looking back.

PS When I got my Ninga I couldn't believe how much water it was recovering :)

R

R W

I was on an 18 month layoff from GM in 1976. Ran out of unemployment and SUB pay, had 2 kids, and was getting bored doing nothing. Started out helping a family friend that had an exsisiting business, and he was working full time at his regular job. We ran a Steamway portable "400", and talked my boss into buying a Steamway Turbomatic. Man, that thing was way cool compared to the other cleaners in town.

Started on my own in 1988.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Working for family business (restaurant) most of life. It seemed natural that that was what I would do forever. Old man died and things didn't work out that way. I started taking classes at local college (computers) and landed a job working at a help desk. Later became network admin (infrastructure).

The plan was to get my own business after 5 years of working with computers. The business would be building small networks. 5 years later it was time but too many layed off guys consulting. This kind of ruined that plan but really I did not like the desk job. The more money you make the more confined you are. I started looking for other businesses. I decided that I wanted a franchise due to that it's layed out for you and I really did not know any other businesses other then restaurant. I was moving to San Jose with my girlfriend (now my wife). I had called the local Chem-Dry that had cleaned for me a bunch of times. After he left I saw the bill and thought that was what I'd do. Now I'm in this crazy business.

Albert

John Bolton

In 1965, I was working on a team designing home laundry equipment, when the company went bankrupt.

I decided to design a machine that could clean carpets on-site. The prototype built, I advertised for guinea pigs to test my system.

That was the first and last time I advertised. All of my work over the past 40 years or so came from those nine test-cleans. I did not choose to become a cleaner - the industry chose me!

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I started washing windows as a summer/after school job for my father's company in 1968. Our customers would ask us to do other jobs -polish floors, clean carpet etc. So after finishing high school, I took on a few of these side jobs.

Went to work for the University of Tennessee. Eventually working on environmental research projects including laser particle measurements and magnetohydrodynamics. One day the military took an interest in the work I was doing. I was not comfortable with the potential application of my work, so I had to quit on the spot.

Took those side jobs to live on while I built a carpet cleaning and restoration company. At one time employed as many as 38 people (mostly part-timers). Decided I liked it better and had more control of a smaller business so scaled back.

My plan was to do teaching and turn the cleaning business over to my son. He decided he did not want to work in cleaning. At the same time I had offer to come to work for Bridgepoint. So the time to change seemed right.

Scott Warrington

GRHeacock

Ever since High School, I had always wanted my own business, and not to work for others, but things did not work out that way.

I started cleaning rugs and carpets at age 22, back in 1956, but did not work out for various reasons.

I did all kinds of work, drove taxicab, did logging, and many other types of work, including Special Effects for several movies.

The problems seemed either the work did not agree with me, or the money was not right, so tried to start another cleaning business- which did not work out until 1977, and that was successful.

I always liked doing cleaning work, loved dealing with fabrics of all kinds, and pretty much specialized in upholstery fabric cleaning.

Gary

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
Bricklayer for 5 years after highschool. wife was a nanny. married her @ 21. at 22 i quit the brick, she quit nanny'ing and we started an office & home cleaning service...we wanted to work together. in '98 our CC'ing subcontractor was selling a porty (thanx Kevin Kluth:) ).

summer of '06 our two nightly office cleaning gig's dropped us. started working CC'ing fulltime in mid-summer '06 (vast majority was marketing / sales at that point).

5 minutes ago sent an email giving our 2 weeks notice to our last large office cleaning account. now only clean my dentist's office every-other week...rest is CC'ing...FINALLY free of toilet cleaning :)

thanx --- Derek.

Name
Steve Lawrence
I was a custodian (fancy name for janitor) at a University of Michigan dormitory. I used Von Schraders to clean carpet and furniture. It was fun. I wanted to try working for myself and discovered there were only 4-5 other carpet cleaners in the phone book so I made the plunge.

I struggled with Von Schrader tunnel vision for a couple years then had a Deep Steam portable demoed on my own carpet. I never touched any of my 3 VS carpet detergers (ha ha) again, except to sell them.

I met Lee Pemberton in 1979 in Fresno at Ed York's Steam Services for a catastrophe restoration class. Been a fan of the Pemberton family ever since. Went to San Francisco after the class and hung out at the pier while Clint Eastwood was making the film "Escape From Alcatraz." Good times.

JohnnyV

When I was just a kid my dad had a few offices he cleaned everynite. In the mid 60's he picked up a used 17" Rotary with a tank and started shampooing carpets for people. I'd go along and use a small wet vac to suck up any suds left on the carpet. When the early "Steam Cleaners" came out he never bought into it because in those days people were leaving carpets wet for days. He still was doing office cleaning but he never really ran it like a business. In 86' when he got old enough to draw his social security I took over. One account only. I was Working at Lincoln Mercury dealership as a Mechanic/Tech. Graduated from Ranken tech school. I hired a couple of people to do the janitorial work. That grew and grew and I decided after a friend told me how much he paid Stanley Reemer to clean his carpets and upholstery. I did a search on line and found the ICS board. Bought a Van from the dealership I was working at. My dad passed away a few years before I got started with the Carpet cleaning in 2001. I kept working the dealership gig, The Janitorial account grew Expotentially and I was cleaning carpets nights and weekends.
Finally in 2003 I was doing enough biz to quit the Car repair. Things were really going good until April of this year when I lost my one big Janitorial account. So, now we're concentrating harder on the Carpet Cleaning biz. Things are not as good as I'd like and probably going to be the longest Winter in at least 20 years. But,it's growing and I'm hoping by spring things will be looking more like I'd hoped for.

by the way, I did not post this pic as an Avatar or my Office. I think the Board Gremlins put it up there for me. Appropriate tho as I have IBS which really does suck.

JohnnyV

B Reid

Name
Brian Reid
What made me become apart of this industry? Was told lots of money to be made.....CHING, CHING.....

What were you last doing? Worked for a janitorial service in 1987.

Before that? Worked for Unocal 76 and Millers Carpet Cleaning.
{12.50 for three rooms}
my cut was around 6.00
they said I could make a 1,000
in a week.
that was a big joke.

In the early 90's I got my first cleaning contract.
8 schools.
130 schools to date.

Latest posts

Latest Auctions

Back
Top Bottom