What infared camera to buy?

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
Need some feedback on this subject
Is the b-40 flirr a good choice?
We are goin into this wd in april a lot of people tellin me this would make life alot better if we
had one.
I know last year guys were buyin the 10000$ models
But i would like to hear what the bb has to say about this
Is the b-40 a waste or is it a good choice?
Or can we get by with a less expensive model?
Thanks Randy

leesenter

Get a B-Cam for regular water damage. For building envelopes you need a higher model that can give you side to side shots of infrared next to real life stills.
The cheaper versions by Extech have serious limitations.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Guys:

I've heard this before, but why do we need side-side regular shots? I do fine just finding the problem in infrared, and recording it.

Also the Flir i-7 is a higher defintion of the Extec i-5. There are no limits to it in our line, that I know of. Do you? It should do everything the B-40 does, for far less, unless you really think you need a regular photo.

Finally, yes go Flir, because of their on-line courses (unless the other mfgrs do it too). One for the specific camera is free, and then a general use lesson about $100. If you own it is good to go back to the free course, because there are features that you may not use, but need to remember.

Thx,
Dale

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
well doin my homework here
b-cam is down to 3500 bucks now it does take a reg pix
but not in pic in pic format
is one on e bay now but looks like its goin for more than i would be willin to pay
for an used one.
would like to hear more though on the subject
thnks lee and dale
randy

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi huys:

Everywhere I look the BD-40 sells for about $5000. If you see new ones going for $3500, please show me where and I'll buy one too.

But the i-7 sells for about $3000, and to my knowlege it does evrything the BD-40 does except reg. pictures. I never need a reg picture mode. But, if I did I'd take my reg $100 camera that takes a much better picture.

Thx,
Dale

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
i think b40 took place of the b-cam and the b-cam is 3500 look around was easy to find

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Randy:

I checked Flir's website, and they do not list the B series any more. But here is a co that is selling both the new i-7 and the 2 older B cameras. I noticed that the i-7 has a bigger memory card than the B-cam, and does not have to be focused. All 3 have the same resolution.

http://www.instrumart.com/ProductList.a ... rerID=1223

If anybody else can see an advantage in buying the B series while their still around, I would be interested?

Thx,
Dale

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
FLIR purchased Extech early this year. So, the newer Extech cameras have the advantage of most of the FLIR technology now. They have greatly improved.

What camera is best for you will depend on exactly how you want to use it. If the main goal is to find and document water intrusion, I think the i-5 will work great.

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
We've had the I5 for a year and it does a great job for what we use it for, finding and pinpointing possible hidden moisture in a structure. Although it's not foolproof as these cameras simply pick up temperature differentials and a multitude of things can give false positives, it greatly reduces our moisture mapping time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom